What’s your lie?

Golfers Anonymous

Just Decent
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Looking through club specs got me to thinking about this. Do you know your typical lie as in do you specifically ask for a certain lie if not getting fit? If you do, do you ask for a specific degree or up/down 1 or 2 degrees? Below is the lies for some of the OEM’s 7 irons and how they vary between brands, with a 1.5* difference at the bookends (typically a 3 club difference in a set).

Callaway Apex 21 - 62.00*
Cobra King Tour - 62.50*
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged - 61.50*
Srixon ZX7 - 62.00*
TaylorMade P•790 - 62.50*
Titleist T200 - 63.00*
Tour Edge E721 - 62.50*

I'd really like to know the answer to this question for all my clubs - especially irons.

I had my 60* wedge bent 2* upright near the end of last year after some testing, and I was VERY happy with the results. Unfortunately I only got 3 rounds in before the season cut me off... We'll see how things start up here soon.

1 degree flat on irons but not my woods which are more upright.

2 up on my irons, 1 up on my wedges, standard on all woods and hybrids.

Reactions: RC
1 up on my irons

Two degrees flat and 1/2" shorter than standard on my Srixon irons. I'm just shy of 6' but I have very long arms.

Would this be the case in either scenario with both Mizuno or Titleist as Titleist is by default 1.5* more upright than Mizuno?
No not me, it's what I was fit for, iron wise years ago, have stuck with it since.

Two degrees flat and 1/2" shorter than standard on my Srixon irons. I'm just shy of 6' but I have very long arms.
I am the same. Just short of 6' with long arms. I should choke up on my clubs a little bit. It would help me.

At a Demo day, the fitter told me I should be using 1 degree upright club. I tired it and was awful. He said I've adjusted my stance & swing to compensate for a Standard Lie. I'm 60 now, it may be too late to go to a 1 degree upright and learn how to swing all over again.

63 deg 7 iron, adjust as needed to land there

60ish on the 7 so usually 2° flat. That will usually get me within .5ish

1* flat for most irons

1 flat on all irons and wedges.

I usually just lie on the internet. Once someone’s seen me swing they know there is no way I’ve done anything other than maybe LD in my past.

Ha.

Signed,
Former Asst Pro
Westbrook CC (1998? 1999?)

I have no clue.

My clubs range from flat to really flat, I will adjust each club until I get the contact and ball flight that I want from that particular club. I believe the range is four to six degrees flatter than the stated standard lie.

+3. So 65 degrees for a 7i.

61* at 37 1/4" right now.

2* flat is a misnomer unless you know what lie you are starting from and the length.

I play from a 37.75” 5 iron at 59.5*.

1/2” step from there and 0.5* lie step from there to 9 iron at 35.75” and 61.5*.

PW and GW are 35.5”, SW @ 35.25” and LW at 35” and all of my wedges are at 62*.

Back