What ALWAYS and NEVER to do to break 80.

Nate<80

Team Hackers, Morgan Cup 2022
Reaction score
Handicap
11.3 Grint
Wise, very simple words from Leishman here. And a nice shoutout to the Callaway Mavrik Driver!

Marc Leishman: 1 thing you should never do if you want to break 80 - Golf

Where is the fun in that though ...

Haha two good points but seemed like a subtle advert

Ehhh you might be right. But I am still taking the advice to heart (y)

I would revise “Never aim at pins” to “Make an agressive, focused swing to a conservative target.”
Sometimes the pin can be a conservative target.

I would revise “Never aim at pins” to “Make an agressive, focused swing to a conservative target.”
Sometimes the pin can be a conservative target.

I like that thinking. There are certainly conservative targets available during the round, and this sometimes includes a safe pin.

I saw that and have been thinking far too much lately about breaking 80. Have crossed that threshold a couple of times and want to shoot sub-80 more frequently. I aim for pins too often and got burned recently on a couple of holes. Literally what felt and looked like the perfect shot was 1 yard short and in the giant back lip of a nasty bunker. Two shot to get out each time. Middle of green with same or even less solid strike, I am putting. I need to better choose when to aim for pins. I get greedy. I also need to work on my bunker game.

A couple of mantras i learned from my old man.

"No shot off the tee is bad if it ends up in the fairway"
"No shot into a green is bad if you have a putt for birdie."

And the one I actually follow: "Plan your next shot so that your miss still follows the first two mantras."

I saw that and have been thinking far too much lately about breaking 80. Have crossed that threshold a couple of times and want to shoot sub-80 more frequently. I aim for pins too often and got burned recently on a couple of holes. Literally what felt and looked like the perfect shot was 1 yard short and in the giant back lip of a nasty bunker. Two shot to get out each time. Middle of green with same or even less solid strike, I am putting. I need to better choose when to aim for pins. I get greedy. I also need to work on my bunker game.

PREACH. I have not been even close to breaking 80, With posting a couple 90's the last couple rounds.. But, the same principles apply. I need to stop getting burned with attacking these flags that end up adding strokes. In your case, getting into bunkers. Gotta find a balance of being hungry/greedy and smart play.

Two good points but I can't agree with NEVER aiming at pins. Pick and choose your spots where you take dead aim based on the club you have in your hand and the consequence of missing your target is the way I play it.

I tend to agree with Leishman on not aiming at pins, and getting out of the tee box with good shots. I think this is especially true with better, above average golfers. It's what makes them above average players.

I think all golfers would score better if they aimed at larger landing areas.

However, I think for most weekend warriors, having a good day pitching, chipping, and putting will enhance their chances of of breaking 80. I say this because most weekend warriors do not have a strong enough long game to save strokes in that area of their game. (jmo)

I don't easily break 80 anymore, but when I did, I always had a great short game that day. 28-29 putts, maybe 1, or 2 hole outs from off the green, and some great approach shots from 60-70 yards. That part of my game made up for my poorer, longer game.

Two good points but I can't agree with NEVER aiming at pins. Pick and choose your spots where you take dead aim based on the club you have in your hand and the consequence of missing your target is the way I play it.

I agree with this more than never aiming at the pin. If playing for your best miss still means shooting at the pin, then do it.

Always....

1) No 3 putts
2) No 2 chips
3) Ball in play

The thing with aiming at pins I think some of you are missing is in the question, if your trying to break 80 there’s no reason to aim at the pin no matter what, go for the middle to get yourself a 2 putt par potentially. If your not breaking 80 your struggling somewhere, if a pin is left you may pull it, 1 or 2 chip, 2 putt and double bogey. Same as if the pin was on the right.
There‘s a lot of fun when aiming for the middle of the green, making a birdie putt and posting a good score comes to mind.

Always have a target and let the score take care of itself.

I firmly believe this. When I was playing at my best, this is how i got there in the first place. Wide part of the fairway, center of the green, too puts off par. move to the next hole. As I got better at putting some pars turned to Birdies especially if the pin position was closer to the center. Still making the pars, I learned when and when not to fire at pins, especially those on edges. Since i play a draw, the pins on the right, i would take more chances, depending on front, middle or back. I shot under par a lot after that. but it was years of being good before it happened. and playing multiple times a week.
I am older, i play once a week if the rain doesn't interfere.

Now i just have flurries of greatness, but mostly rounds of adequacy. I don't shoot par or better....my body doesn't respond like it used to, nut my memories...those are awesome.

I think conservative targets are important. Most people that can’t break 80 shouldn’t be firing at pins. I do believe strongly in having a small specific target. Don’t aim at the middle of the fairway pick an exact spot. The same for aiming at the middle of the green pick an exact spot in the middle of the green.

I think conservative targets are important. Most people that can’t break 80 shouldn’t be firing at pins. I do believe strongly in having a small specific target. Don’t aim at the middle of the fairway pick an exact spot. The same for aiming at the middle of the green pick an exact spot in the middle of the green.

aim small, miss small- Good advice

It is good advice. However, there will be times where you need to aim for that pin. The important part to remember is WHEN to aim for the pin, and when to aim center of green. The other thing is just because you land center green doesn't guarantee a par. You have to learn where to hit greens relative to pin placement. That is when you start scoring better.

First point is good, which is why the front middle back is always beneficial vs honing in on pin distance. 2nd point pure Callaway advertising.

A couple of mantras i learned from my old man.

"No shot off the tee is bad if it ends up in the fairway"
"No shot into a green is bad if you have a putt for birdie."

And the one I actually follow: "Plan your next shot so that your miss still follows the first two mantras."

Love it. Great advice! Worst to live by. 🙏

Back