What ALWAYS and NEVER to do to break 80.

I should really play a round where I don’t aim at pins and see what happens. Would be interesting to see if it lowered my score.
Or let someone who knows your game dictate your aim for a round. It can be eye opening.

A friend made me realize some things I was doing with my approach that changed my game, and I went full Days of Thunder on one of my buddies to prove his approach was holding him back.

"Give me one round any way you like. Then one round the way I want you to. Give me an honest round. If you do, I'm gonna beat ya.".

I haven't looked thru the whole thread but I played with Hank Haney once and he had 3 keys to breaking 80:
  1. No penalty shots
  2. No 3 putts
  3. Don't leave the ball in the bunker (get it out 1st try)
Seem simple and obvious, yes, but I think it's pretty accurate.

Or let someone who knows your game dictate your aim for a round. It can be eye opening.

A friend made me realize some things I was doing with my approach that changed my game, and I went full Days of Thunder on one of my buddies to prove his approach was holding him back.

"Give me one round any way you like. Then one round the way I want you to. Give me an honest round. If you do, I'm gonna beat ya.".

I would love to play a round with you and have you go “Days of Thunder” on my approach game.

I haven't looked thru the whole thread but I played with Hank Haney once and he had 3 keys to breaking 80:
  1. No penalty shots
  2. No 3 putts
  3. Don't leave the ball in the bunker (get it out 1st try)
Seem simple and obvious, yes, but I think it's pretty accurate.

I feel like Hank, kinda knows his stuff ;)

Thanks for sharing @HipCheck

I would love to play a round with you and have you go “Days of Thunder” on my approach game.
I'm down! It was kind of awesome how it brings out the best golf. No one really wants someone else to be better at their own game than they are. Lol. And just so much fun. Tons of good banter and debate.

The 3 times I broke into the 70’s I had zero 3 putts and no double bogeys. That was paramount!
remember Par is a good score.
keeping the tee ball in the shirt grass so you don’t ha e to “chip out” is key. Avoiding “O”scar “B”ravo is critical to success.
I felt like I was in a zone -Loved it!

Playing a round without a double may be my favorite thing in golf.
I don't play super competitively anymore...it's mostly about fun with my friends...but I still get jacked over a no double round.

I broke 80 four times last year...that's playing regularly from April to mid-October...and three of them were without a double. But if I make five pars and thirteen bogies, it's still a round without doubles and I'm happy. I'm not sure why, but it's true.

If we play this year, I'm a year older and a round without a double will mean even more, probably.

The 3 times I broke into the 70’s I had zero 3 putts and no double bogeys. That was paramount!
remember Par is a good score.
keeping the tee ball in the shirt grass so you don’t ha e to “chip out” is key. Avoiding “O”scar “B”ravo is critical to success.
I felt like I was in a zone -Loved it!

That is awesome, what a feeling.

No doubles is soooo big. And totally agree on keeping the tee ball straight. Punching out back in to the fairway is such a buzz kill and makes it near impossible to make par.

Playing a round without a double may be my favorite thing in golf.
I don't play super competitively anymore...it's mostly about fun with my friends...but I still get jacked over a no double round.

I broke 80 four times last year...that's playing regularly from April to mid-October...and three of them were without a double. But if I make five pars and thirteen bogies, it's still a round without doubles and I'm happy. I'm not sure why, but it's true.

If we play this year, I'm a year older and a round without a double will mean even more, probably.

I think that is where I am going to place a lot of focus. Avoid the dang doubles. I could make 12 bogeys and 6 pars and I will be happy with that.

Wise, very simple words from Leishman here. And a nice shoutout to the Callaway Mavrik Driver!

Marc Leishman: 1 thing you should never do if you want to break 80 - Golf

I'd say always hit your first putt and never miss a GIR. That should work. :eek:

Last edited:
I think my #1 here now after today's round... Chip shots should not be cute or fancy...keep the head down and follow through...too many skulls or short chips.

I think my #1 here now after today's round... Chip shots should not be cute or fancy...keep the head down and follow through...too many skulls or short chips.

YES! Thank you. This is where I lose 2-3 strokes per round.. Chunked or bladed chips where I am then chipping again.

Playing today, and my focus is going to be, more up and downs, and trying to get 6 GIR.

YES! Thank you. This is where I lose 2-3 strokes per round.. Chunked or bladed chips where I am then chipping again.

Playing today, and my focus is going to be, more up and downs, and trying to get 6 GIR.
I've started following the advice of Matt (Golf Sidekick) - don't be cute with chips, just get them on the green. ANYWHERE on the green. Having a long putt for your next shot is almost always going to turn out better than having another chip from another crappy lie because you chunked it trying to be cute with it.

I've started following the advice of Matt (Golf Sidekick) - don't be cute with chips, just get them on the green. ANYWHERE on the green. Having a long putt for your next shot is almost always going to turn out better than having another chip from another crappy lie because you chunked it trying to be cute with it.

Without a doubt. Have watched a couple of his videos, he has some great advice.

1. Get a swing that gets the ball up to the green in regulation strokes.
2. Chip and approach putt like a bandit.
That's how I did it.

"The Way of the Playa!" :cool: (y)

You need to watch his recent one, which shows how to shoot in the mid-60s. Tips like “NEVER miss a green with a wedge in hand” are so obvious but hit home how much work is hackers have to do to get down to that level.

You need to watch his recent one, which shows how to shoot in the mid-60s. Tips like “NEVER miss a green with a wedge in hand” are so obvious but hit home how much work is hackers have to do to get down to that level.
I'll always watch his new stuff. I'm a ways away from worrying about shooting in the 60s though - unless we're talking front nine! :LOL:

Nate my chipping got solid through a drill I came up with. Without a ball, make your chipping stroke and lightly strike the ground as you would chipping. Now, while continuing and swinging the club back, lightly strike the ground in the same spot going back. Then the same spot going forward ...and then back. Go back and forth striking the same exact spot. Likely, the first time you try to strike the ground going back, you won't hit the ground. You can do it on your living room rug too.

In short order, making contact right at that spot will become automatic freeing you up to concern yourself with the line. I think one of the very reasons we do chunk and blade them is that we're so focused on the direction that we mess that part up. I bet if you do this simple drill with your wedge for a while your chipping and pitching of the ball will really improve.

Nate my chipping got solid through a drill I came up with. Without a ball, make your chipping stroke and lightly strike the ground as you would chipping. Now, while continuing and swinging the club back, lightly strike the ground in the same spot going back. Then the same spot going forward ...and then back. Go back and forth striking the same exact spot. Likely, the first time you try to strike the ground going back, you won't hit the ground. You can do it on your living room rug too.

In short order, making contact right at that spot will become automatic freeing you up to concern yourself with the line. I think one of the very reasons we do chunk and blade them is that we're so focused on the direction that we mess that part up. I bet if you do this simple drill with your wedge for a while your chipping and pitching of the ball will really improve.

Really appreciate the advice. I will certainly try out that drill. First week of league matches coming up this Tuesday so hoping it helps 🙌

No foolin'! That is what keeps me from shooting 80 these days. The usual cause isn't the putting or even the approach shots. It is the tee shot. I can still birdie almost any hole on most courses I play, but I can also take a double (or a lot worse) on all of them too. I have to hit a lot more than 6 greens in regulation to have a chance of breaking 80, and that means I have to have a legitimate shot to the green on every hole. That hasn't been happening. But, on the bright side I picked up a Cobra F9 in December and I seemed to hit it in the short stuff more often than not in the few rounds I got to play it. When our course reopens I have high hopes I'll be hitting more second shots from the fairways.

Loving my F9 also. FIR and GIR certainly the way to break 80.

Loving my F9 also. FIR and GIR certainly the way to break 80.

The F9 is a game changer. More distance and more forgiving. Love this thing.

I broke 80 once before I read this and figured it may have been a bit of a fluke. Read this when you posted and thought I did both of those things pretty well. I broke 80 again on Wednesday and specifically tried to consciously put the "don't aim at the pin" thing in to play when they were placed in riskier spots. I ended up three putting five holes that round and still shot a 76. Now granted I lipped out three of the five and that has to do with my green reading ability and pace control but I really feel like if I would have aimed at the pin instead of more toward the middle of the green, I might have been a little better off:ROFLMAO:

All jokes of course because I will never complain about a 76 especially with how poor my putting was. I just found it funny that one of my worst days putting was because I just tried to hit the green instead of attacking the pin. But I can also look at it that I was able to make those mistakes because all five of those three putts were GIRs meaning all I had to do was putt. Not risk a bad chip and making it even harder on myself....hmm maybe after typing all of this, I agree with just getting the GIR and figuring it out from there lol

...I just found it funny that one of my worst days putting was because I just tried to hit the green instead of attacking the pin. But I can also look at it that I was able to make those mistakes because all five of those three putts were GIRs meaning all I had to do was putt. Not risk a bad chip and making it even harder on myself....hmm maybe after typing all of this, I agree with just getting the GIR and figuring it out from there lol
Makes sense to me. My average GIR percentage is terrible (23%), but my putting average is halfway decent (32). I miss a lot of greens, but a lot of them I don't miss by much - so my short chips/pitches or putts from the fringe (which don't count as putts) have me a lot closer to the hole when I start putting than if I was hitting a lot of greens but leaving myself longer putts.

Back