What am I doing wrong?? He asks...

BroD

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you usually say when a 'fellow golfer' asks; "what am I doing wrong"? when they start playing bad...I play with guys who have played all their lives; yet ask me (5 years in) "What am I doing wrong".... (Probably because I believe it is proper etiquette to stay up with them as they swing...) (not walking off).... Usually I have no idea... every one has a different swing...

Depends on if its a friend or a random. I am not the greatest golfer but have an eye for the right and wrong parts of a swing even though I am inconsistent. I play with a few high handicaps that have glaring issues and will only point out the most glaring things if they ask multiple times. Then I recommend a coach to get them situated if they are serious.

It doesn't really ever happen to me, but it would depend if it was a friend or random. Random I'm likely to suggest they talk to a pro as I'm not the best to offer advice. A friend, I might point out what I see, if it is something obvious, but always with the caveat that I don't have the best swing myself, and am not the best to be asking.

What do you usually say when a 'fellow golfer' asks; "what am I doing wrong"? when they start playing bad...I play with guys who have played all their lives; yet ask me (5 years in) "What am I doing wrong".... (Probably because I believe it is proper etiquette to stay up with them as they swing...) (not walking off).... Usually I have no idea... every one has a different swing...

I ask, "Want me to video your next swing?"

Yep have a guy that’s asks this constantly. Well when the fairway is that way and you lined up that way…it’s rarely going to find the fairway.

First, bless your soul for waiting. Other than the tee box, I'm not hanging around to watch you swing. I'm going to my ball.

Second, when somebody asks me that, I'll try to tell them what I think will help.

First of all, most of us can't properly diagnose our own swings, much less someone else's. So don't be afraid to say "I don't know." In my experience, 95%+ of all the swing advise I see given out on a golf course is flat out WRONG. So, saying I don't know is far less harmful then giving someone bad advice.

Second, the vast majority of swing problems aren't correctable on the course. So, even if I know, most of the time I'll defer giving an answer until after the round. Then I'll take them aside if they want, show them what I see, given them some drills or movements to practice to ingrain the change. If you give someone a change to make that takes time and reps to work on, you aren't doing them any good. They'll try to do the impossible and make the change in a hole or two and when they can't conclude your advice was wrong and abandon it.

if it's anything, it's gonna be general; coming over the top, swinging outside in, hitting from the top, not rotating, swaying, trying to guide ball, etc.
I could just see the look on there face if I said; you're not loading the power packages correctly.

My go-to is your lifting your head. Let me watch the ball for you, you focus on watching the club face hit the ball. I find that with your average golfer who can usually barely break 100 this is usually what the problem is. If that's not it, I say I don't know.

I ask, "Want me to video your next swing?"
Stock answer is ‘I think your tempo is off’ but I like this one better.

Stock answer is ‘I think your tempo is off’ but I like this one better.

When I did not know anything, I was ignorant and would suggest several things; then I evolved to tempo is off or pause at the top, and now my fail proof is "I'll video your swing."

"You've got a day job. Don't quit it for golf.":ROFLMAO:
No, I wouldn't say that. I'd say "I don't know. You're not hitting the ball right or something. I'm no golf instructor. Maybe one of those could help?"

I don't provide swing tips. I am not good enough. If it seems like alignment is off, I will say something, but nothing about an actual swing.

I usually reply not sure and move on to the next shot. Most of the time I am not looking at someone's swing mechanics unless it is intended to do so. Hard to judge a swing problem standing off to the side or at an angle to someone. I might mention a swing around, extension, or alignment issue if it is a big stand out, but I generally stay away from sideline coaching.

"Stop trying to kill it." is my usual answer.

"Stop trying to kill it." is my usual answer.
This is one of my most dangerous moves. Even though I am an older guy I love to get up there and knock the living **** out of it, yet most of the time the results are crap.

When I did not know anything, I was ignorant and would suggest several things; then I evolved to tempo is off or pause at the top, and now my fail proof is "I'll video your swing."
I can’t tell if your calling me ignorant or not 🤣🤔😉

I can’t tell if your calling me ignorant or not 🤣🤔😉

NO, I was ignorant. :LOL: "Tempo is off" is a good one. I think "let me video you" is the ultimate. You don't say anything about their swing .... unless they ask of course, "What do you see?" Then you go to tempo and pause at the top.:LOL:

You just calmly reply with “it would be quicker and easier to tell you what you’re doing right” ;)

The video suggestion is the best. "Give me your phone and I'll video your swing for you."

I only give advice if it's something obvious I see, when asked.
Best tip I ever got was keep the left ear behind the ball.
"I'm not a teacher, but....."
I like the video their swing answer.

My answer is "f**k if i know"...

I wait until they get really frustrated and then ask them how much they want to pay me to tell them the answer. It's a business decision...after all.;)

Back