What are Some "Facts" in Golf that are Actually False?

Ah gotcha. I was gonna say lol that man literally leaves the ground at impact

I left out the word ‘all’ in my original statement

The 2 bigs ones for me, keep your head down and drive for show, putt for dough. Both are bollocks.

#FiberLaunch

Golf is an expensive and exclusive sport.

It’s expensive when you like shiny and like to tinker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s expensive when you like shiny and like to tinker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make it expensive by choice. Damn whippersnapper

What is not good about it ?

I guess if you are trying to bunt the ball to the fairway it is ok but it means there is way too much spin which is death to distance and probably is costing you 30 yards. If I want to do that I hit 3 wood. That ball flight has probably a spin rate of 3.5k or higher which is awful.

If you swing super slow then you might need the spin but bad normally if you swing over 90mph

I guess if you are trying to bunt the ball to the fairway it is ok but it means there is way too much spin which is death to distance and probably is costing you 30 yards. If I want to do that I hit 3 wood. That ball flight has probably a spin rate of 3.5k or higher which is awful.

If you swing super slow then you might need the spin but bad normally if you swing over 90mph

If I'm seeing guys putting it out ther 285 yds with that ball flight. Then I could care less about losing distance. There is no bunt to it.

How does not keeping your head down improve your game ?

Long hitters generally squat at the start of the downswing then rise up using the lower body to 'crack the whip' creating increased club head speed and distance. This results in the head dropping then rising.

Then you have players like Jack Nicklaus and Annika Sornstram who allow their heads to rise and rotate at the bottom of the downswing and after. They will say to do otherwise restricted their swing.

How does not keeping your head down improve your game ?

the swing itself naturally brings the head up. If you keep your head down you are artificially restricting your swing and it must be compensated for which breaks other parts of the swing.

It is also the default answer people give when they make a horrid swing. Guy comes out of his shoes, front foot lifting on the backswing, then pulling back in a move baseball players used to call having their foot in the bucket, swings at 140% of his effective swing speed, tops the ball. "Lifted my head" he says.

Uh, no, that wasn't the problem...

I think many people say "head down" but mean something more like "maintain your spine angle". The former is wrong the latter is right.

My contribution to the thread: more expensive putters are better / make more putts.

A draw is the better ball flight.....

How about

"the 2nd shot is the most important"....or put another way as I've heard it, "It's not the Drive that matters, it's the 2nd shot"

hmm....so for the Touring Pro this statement might be correct, but for the weekend Golfer if he hits his Driver 2 fairways over, or on a Par 5 502yds hits his Driver 200yds...its all good cause that's not important, its the 2nd shot.

You can talk to a fade, but a draw just won't listen.
Depends on the course. Nicholas design, you better have a fade in your bag.
And it is easier to hook a draw than slice a fade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about

"the 2nd shot is the most important"....or put another way as I've heard it, "It's not the Drive that matters, it's the 2nd shot"

hmm....so for the Touring Pro this statement might be correct, but for the weekend Golfer if he hits his Driver 2 fairways over, or on a Par 5 502yds hits his Driver 200yds...its all good cause that's not important, its the 2nd shot.

On my last outing I skulled a tee shot which dribbled about 75 yds on a par 5 and then got off a awesome 2nd shot with my hybrid which put me in good enough position for a 100 yd PW shot. onto the green.

the swing itself naturally brings the head up. If you keep your head down you are artificially restricting your swing and it must be compensated for which breaks other parts of the swing.

It is also the default answer people give when they make a horrid swing. Guy comes out of his shoes, front foot lifting on the backswing, then pulling back in a move baseball players used to call having their foot in the bucket, swings at 140% of his effective swing speed, tops the ball. "Lifted my head" he says.

Uh, no, that wasn't the problem...

All I know is that I get off much better shots when I keep my head down. When I don't, my shots aren't nearly as good.

On my last outing I skulled a tee shot which dribbled about 75 yds on a par 5 and then got off a awesome 2nd shot with my hybrid which put me in good enough position for a 100 yd PW shot. onto the green.

While great recoveries happen, it's not a reliable way to score over the long haul. To some extent if you can't drive, you can't score. The GHIN handicapping system shows a strong corrolation between driving distance and handicaps.

All I know is that I get off much better shots when I keep my head down. When I don't, my shots aren't nearly as good.

My guess is you aren't maintaining your spine angle.

My guess is you aren't maintaining your spine angle.

You are probably right, but at my age I have lost a lot of flexibility and because of my age do what produces the best results for me.

Yesterday coming home from work I was listening to “Inside the Ropes” on XM PGA TOUR Radio with the Carl & Dennis Paulson (Carl was absent) and they had a another guest on there Freddie something (can’t remember his last name ☺️) and no not Couples.

Either way the show was basically about Touring Pros equipment and such and a few other things. The guy Freddie was talking at 1 point about a really close friend of his who is a 5 capper and a really good ball striker but isn’t very long with any of his clubs, irons included... long story short he says that on mostly all the driving holes at Pebble Beach that they guy barely can make it to the fairway and on some couldn’t cause some are out of his driving reach. Long story short the guy struck the ball well all day but didn’t score to well cause his length.

They weren’t so much speaking that you need to be a bomber off the tee as they were basically saying that a lot of courses on Tour are set up for the long hitters... I am basically just taking this piece from them yesterday and tying it in with this discussion... and to go along the lines of what you stated above... that drive is very important if you want to score well in a round, again Phil show last week that a touring Pro might get away with not hitting fairways and such with the drive but imho if he did that in a different course set up other then at the Safeway Open I don’t feel he would have tied for 3rd.

imho 2nd shot is important no doubt, but when I hear it’s not the Drive that’s important I don’t believe that.

Yesterday coming home from work I was listening to “Inside the Ropes” on XM PGA TOUR Radio with the Carl & Dennis Paulson (Carl was absent) and they had a another guest on there Freddie something (can’t remember his last name ) and no not Couples.

Either way the show was basically about Touring Pros equipment and such and a few other things. The guy Freddie was talking at 1 point about a really close friend of his who is a 5 capper and a really good ball striker but isn’t very long with any of his clubs, irons included... long story short he says that on mostly all the driving holes at Pebble Beach that they guy barely can make it to the fairway and on some couldn’t cause some are out of his driving reach. Long story short the guy struck the ball well all day but didn’t score to well cause his length.

They weren’t so much speaking that you need to be a bomber off the tee as they were basically saying that a lot of courses on Tour are set up for the long hitters... I am basically just taking this piece from them yesterday and tying it in with this discussion... and to go along the lines of what you stated above... that drive is very important if you want to score well in a round, again Phil show last week that a touring Pro might get away with not hitting fairways and such with the drive but imho if he did that in a different course set up other then at the Safeway Open I don’t feel he would have tied for 3rd.

imho 2nd shot is important no doubt, but when I hear it’s not the Drive that’s important I don’t believe that.

I’m not sure what the story has to do with your feeling on Drive.

I wonder if you have ever videotaped your swing? Reason I ask is one of the following statements is true:
A) you think you keep your head down but in reality it follows the shoulders on both the back and foreswings
B) you are taking half swings
C) you are artificially restricting your turn and losing significant distance and are incapable of tracking your ball flight with regularity as it is physically impossible to follow the ball flight without raising your head
D) you are defying the laws of physics by keeping your head down without restricting your turn and making the proper swing path physically impossible

it is a phrase people use all the time that means one of the above is true. To make a full turn one MUST lift the head on the back swing, otherwise your shoulders are physically incapable of rotating as needed. Same with going forward. It pulls the shoulder in such a way that the head MUST rotate up which is also what allows the vision to pick up the ball going forward.

Watch a few people, watch their head, see the movement. Go see them show the head movement on trackman. It is pretty illuminating.

When I see guys concentrate on keeping their head down, suddenly they are making half swings and almost invariably slice as it forces the club to come massively out to in.

Golf is fun.

Back