What are you making of Joaquin Niemann…???

He is really good at golf.

Not only is he a fantastic golfer he also has a wonderful personality and a great sense of humor. He would be top 3 in PIP because the corrupt golf media would be propping him up to be the next golden boy.

The greatest thing is he came from humble beginnings unlike some country club soy boys.

Just another washed up golfer taking a pay day playing against other washed up golfers taking a pay day.

They don’t care how they play. No one watches so what’s the point. I bet you they don’t even practice anymore.

It’s a glorified exhibition with a spa day thrown in for the significant others.
Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

Who knows? that's the problem with different formats, we just don't know how good he is.

He's hot on the LIV tour, that's all we can say, certainly doesn't mean he would be a force on the PGAT.
Did you watch the playoff between he and Sergio?

I'm assuming, by your statement, you did not. It was some fantastic golf, and there were PLENTY of viewers.

He has been playing very well. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Masters where he has had some decent success before.

It is hard to tell how significant the LIV wins are. Brooks and Phil weren't setting LIV on fire then they won majors.

Needs to show up in majors. Been pretty awful in them.

He has been playing very well. It will be interesting to see how he does at the Masters where he has had some decent success before.

It is hard to tell how significant the LIV wins are. Brooks and Phil weren't setting LIV on fire then they won majors.
With his play, so far this year, I would say that if he was on the PGA with some of their fields, he would have a couple of wins as well.

With his play, so far this year, I would say that if he was on the PGA with some of their fields, he would have a couple of wins as well.

I am not saying you are wrong but it is easier to beat 53 other golfers than 144 or 156 in a regular field or even 80 in an elevated event.

I am not saying you are wrong but it is easier to beat 53 other golfers than 144 or 156 in a regular field or even 80 in an elevated event.
How many of those 144 or 156 golfers really matter or present any kind of challenge, though? With the exception of elevated events, most PGAT events look like Korn Ferry or mini-tour events. 75% of the leaderboard is unrecognizable. It's not like Niemann would have a more difficult challenge in those fields.

How many of those 144 or 156 golfers really matter or present any kind of challenge, though? With the exception of elevated events, most PGAT events look like Korn Ferry or mini-tour events. 75% of the leaderboard is unrecognizable. It's not like Niemann would have a more difficult challenge in those fields.
My thoughts exactly. Putting an extra 100 golfers that arent really going to pose a threat doesnt really matter. Look at the competition he has beaten so far this year...

Data shows there is about a 7-9% greater chance that a top player gets beat in a PGA event than a LIV event. For example a LIV field is given around a 85% chance to beat Jon Rahm. Had he played last weeks PGA event the field would have had a 92% chance to beat him. This week API the field would have a 94% chance. The only PGAT field so far this year that Rahm would have a better chance to win was Mexico. So Niemen's challenge to win would be pretty significantly harder in all but 1 pgat event. Just to add, in a Korn Ferry event the field would have a 70% chance against Rahm.

Data shows there is about a 7-9% greater chance that a top player gets beat in a PGA event than a LIV event. For example a LIV field is given around a 85% chance to beat Jon Rahm. Had he played last weeks PGA event the field would have had a 92% chance to beat him. This week API the field would have a 94% chance. The only PGAT field so far this year that Rahm would have a better chance to win was Mexico. So Niemen's challenge to win would be pretty significantly harder in all but 1 pgat event. Just to add, in a Korn Ferry event the field would have a 70% chance against Rahm.

What about the data while he was on tour? Was it the same? This "data", while I am sure was researched by smart people, just seems like wasted air. But if it proves a point, then I digress...

What about the data while he was on tour? Was it the same? This "data", while I am sure was researched by smart people, just seems like wasted air. But if it proves a point, then I digress...
He played in all the majors last year. In those fields it rises to 96% the field wins.

He played in all the majors last year. In those fields it rises to 96% the field wins.

What are the metrics more measuring this? I'm genuinely curious

What are the metrics more measuring this? I'm genuinely curious
Largely based on shots gained data. Basically measures every players current skill level in a field. But then obviously field size is a big factor. If you have 10 average run of the mill players trying to beat Jon rahm maybe you take Rahm. But if you have 30 of those guys…..

I will say this being a Torque supporter. The best thing that is happening to Joaco is that he is learning to win. It will be interesting to see how that translates in the majors but closing out a close one in Mayakoba and then running away with Jeddah is a good learning experience. His Australian Open win in December was also a playoff so he is getting that feeling which can only be a good thing.

Luv everything about the guy as a golfer. His golf swing is as safe as they come. A hell of a lot safer than Tiger's swing.

Who would have thought Matthew Pavon and Austin Eckroat would have won PGA events when Rory and other top players were in the field. In a regular event everyone in the field can light it up on any given week. I took Jake Knapp out of the conversation because the Mexico field was very weak.

Regarding the Korn Ferry comment most golfers except the really exceptional have to play their way on to the tour. In the old days it was Qschool now it is the KFT. Justin Thomas and Scottie Scheffler to name two golfers came up through the KFT.

With the elevated events there will definitely be a striation between those events and others. That said beating 156 golfers who had to earn their way out there is harder than beating 54 golfers. Looking at the LIV fields I would say more than a third of the LIV field isn’t a threat to win so now you need to beat roughly 35 golfer.

I don’t mean this to belittle the way Niemann is playing. He appears to be playing really good golf and when he is on he can beat anyone in the game.

Did you watch the playoff between he and Sergio?

I'm assuming, by your statement, you did not. It was some fantastic golf, and there were PLENTY of viewers.

Irrelevant, sure it was great golf but who knows what happens with another round? and many more players? chances are neither would have been there in the end.

Does 144 or 156 golfers really matter? of course, duh, it doesn't matter if most aren't top ranked, I think anyone who plays golf knows it's much harder to beat more players, anyone can get hot at any time.

Irrelevant, sure it was great golf but who knows what happens with another round? and many more players? chances are neither would have been there in the end.

Does 144 or 156 golfers really matter? of course, duh, it doesn't matter if most aren't top ranked, I think anyone who plays golf knows it's much harder to beat more players, anyone can get hot at any time.
I would argue that the current field of LIV is much more difficult to beat than the current field of PGA, regardless of # of golfers.

Ace!

Good player, was starting to show results on the PGAT before going to LIV.

Back