What Are You Working On?

Okay but, what if i just stayed home and thought about going instead?
Keep being **** with a driver and stop complaining about it. 🤷

Keep being **** with a driver and stop complaining about it. 🤷
I Refuse No Way GIF by Paramount+

The last couple of years have been rough physically. I had a bad case of Covid, simultaneously with an allergenic reaction to a drug that caused me to lose 12 pounds I couldn't afford to lose. Then long Covid and a year and a half of getting under control some seriously abnormal blood markers. My swing suffered, which was not the most consequential thing I faced.On top of all that I'm nearing my 67th birthday, so you wonder if finding that lost distance is even possible. Anyway, I only recently this winter got an opportunity to address the swing/distance loss problem.

Long story short, I went through a bunch of trial and error with conditioning and technique changes in search of that elusive lost distance. A bunch of stuff didn't work. These three building blocks are what got it back for me.
  • Wrist and hand positions
  • Diagonal/spiral backswing
  • Early effort on the downswing
Wrist and hands are such an important lever. But most instructors have one and only one set of positions and sequences they advocate for this important speed-creating lever. But I learned there needs to be a match with other elements of your swing and body characteristics. I figured out through trial and error what worked and didn't work for me, and THEN ran across an excellent in-depth video on this by Steve Pratt that explained what I had discovered for myself and then some. I wish I had run across that video earlier, but regardless it immediately resonated with me because I had lived what he was teaching. For me, a weak grip with opposing hands works best. My hands unhinge and rehinge quite naturally with this grip. They repeatedly square the club at impact with precision and acceleration of the clubhead well beyond impact.

There is a reason the backswing is often described using the term coil. Lots of the instruction out there emphasizes rotation. I had been focusing on rotation rather than coil. They are not the same. Adding some upward extension during the backswing as I turned stored so much more energy. I found that doing so made it so much more natural to engage ground forces. After coiling the body just naturally wants to release that extension by engaging the ground (the squat) and transferring weight into the front foot then pushing up you get that great whipping action that releases lag and creates maximum speed after impact.

Early effort on the downswing. So, many different philosophies on how to create clubhead speed on the downswing and frankly so many ways to do it. I'm not built like Bryson DeChambeau or Jon Rohm. I'm not going to create clubhead speed the same way they do. I'm built more like an older, but still flexible, version of Justin Thomas. Not a lot of height or weight to work with and at my age I'm not going to have the muscle tone or fast twitch muscles Justin has. So, what type of swing works best for someone like me?

Turns out I needed to adopt that effortless-looking golf swing we've seen in people like Freddy Couples, Jake Knapp, or several LPGA players. The key piece all of these players do that I was not doing is getting my work done early. The analysis we can do today with high-speed video cameras, pressure plates, and 3-D modeling and swing analysis shows that all these players with that effortless-looking swing where ball after ball explodes off the face all start with a burst of acceleration at the beginning of the downswing then relatively speaking relax and hang on as they rotate and release to a full finish. This idea doesn't translate for a lot of amateurs because when they try to do this they end up over the top, steep and/or casting the club. Thankfully, I'm at a point in my golf swing where I've eliminated those tendencies long ago. So for me, when I inject this effort early a lot of the energy is coming from my core, the hands are dropping and leading on plane, which actually increases club lag early in the downswing and retains it until the hands are in front of the lead thigh. At that point with the arms coasting, the wrists relaxed, and the legs pushing up through the feet the clubhead accelerates and releases the lag with a burst of speed and re-hinge on the other side.

Being a consistent putter is super difficult
I’m been practicing.
Inside 3 feet. Just trickle the ball in using my thumb muscles mostly
3-7 foot range. Firm back of the cup type stroke locking my left arm and stroke is primarily right arm
6-25 foot range. Feel stroke how much energy to “hit” the ball forwards stays close to my body and there blunted follow through Helps if I imagine a ghost cup in my line to the actual cup
Long >25 foot bombs I like using the pin in for aiming. Handle forward. Don’t rest my fore arms on my knees It’s very much shoulder stroke. Rock and roll

Since the rain has been like, "Nope, you aren't swinging balls into the net today. I don't care how new your irons are and how badly you want to try out your new 5 hybrid". Oh and then last night was not just rain. We had crazy wind, tornado warnings, etc. So, I have been indoors working on the small things. The takeaway beginning, the left arm straight and turning the core, not just moving the arms back. Trying to get the basics down while indoors. Cause rain gonna rain.

Been experimenting with extending my forefinger as much as I feel comfortable on my putter grip It’s help me from getting to tight with my thumbs on the putter grip and that Prevents me from getting to jerky on my putting stroke I find that sometimes it’s okay to have a bit tightness in thumbs but not to much

Still shortening backswing. Getting almost there with shallowing my irons. Still not quite there with driver with backswing still a little too long. Adding more aggressive hip rotation in downswing with irons and more leg push/ground force on driver. Feels close.

while my iron and wedge is getting better. My putting and chipping is Uber bad. Taking an extra 1-2 strokes on and around the green on every hole That’s 18-36 stroke I can save if I can tighten up my chipping and putting.

Trying to recall and recapture the feeling when I was hitting with my long irons great last season
make golfing great again LOL
One small detail that worked was slamming my left heel on the ground rather than stepping backwards with my left foot on the ground like I normally do

Take away and transfer. Was way outside and now I’m working that out. Working well in everything but still struggling on the driver. Few more range sessions and will see if I’m getting the hang of it or need another lesson.

IBM e been working on putting a lot, but I guess approach needs some help!

IMG_7932.png

Working on my take away as I was coming inside too too much and hadn't realized it. So trying to keep it outside my hands on the takeaway. Also swinging from the inside. Got a lot of work to do to become at least a mediocre golfer - but these two at the moment. Also trying to incorporate rhythm of the swing "1 AND a 2" as well as stepping down on my front foot on the downswing. Yes I have a lot to do.

Tempo and plane. A bit too steep with irons right now

Proper rotation and not standing up/early extending. Feel like the most effective swing thought for me is keep the chest over the ball.

working on the Mental aspect to putting
Frankly onthe golf course I love compressing the golf ball and swinging the club from the tee box
Im not really into putting on the green , Its just not as enjoyable for me
Working on set up changes to chipping and putting where I try not to look at the "whole ball"
But rather inner crescent of the ball to aim off and trying to add a line on the ball to make me focus at something more specific than the "whole ball"

Two things to straighten out my draw.
First, squaring the club at address. Sounds simple, but I have a bad habit of setting up w a closed club face. I just re gripped my clubs w align grips to help w that.
Second, a more upright swing path. Specifically not getting stuck in my natural “baseball” swing.
Yesterday was a good day on the range. Time to take it to the course.
I figured out some/most of my troubles were from a (weak) grip issue. Been working on a better/neutral grip and it has really helped straighten out my ball flight.

Proper rotation and not standing up/early extending. Feel like the most effective swing thought for me is keep the chest over the ball.
Me too. recently been plagued with more toe side strikes, standing up a bit seems to be the culprit

Turning the shoulders on pitching, from my last lesson, coupled with smooth tempo. Boy do the simple things make a difference.

A

Putting and chipping practice.
Notice that if I’m more specific say the edge of the cup I tend to be more precise than where I just aim at the “cup” and make more putts
Also my right and left thumbs tend to “fight” for control
So I extend the the forefinger to relax the thumb of the hand that is “submissive” to my dominant thumb.

On course practice today.
Chipping. Focus on the outside edge of the ball bump and run or runner as my go to chip shot. Flop only if I have a tight pin Been trying to “draw” my chip shots
Putting. Go a new putter extended my putter into arm long lock length. Promising. Had some good putts. Longer putt leave the pin in. Shorter putts take pin out and align the line on the ball. Roll the line to the cup. Forget about the whole ball.
Iron. Ended up fading some iron shot Not my preferred pattern. Rather draw when I can.
Driver My synch was off. Getting to armsy. I like to start my take away with my feet and shuffle my legs

I've lately recommitted to the basics. Alignment (square, square, square, square) and Tempo (fast is OK but keep it within reason). So far it's not generating any really low scores but it seems to be keeping my bad rounds in the 80's and those 93's and 95's off the scorecard. Sad to say but that's progress.

Definitely playing better when I predominant fade my woods and draw my irons.
Though my hybrids and wedges can go either way but I feel more comfortable fading the hybrid and drawing the wedges.
Short game. Definitely score lower if I try to play along the ground for chipping
Flop only when necessary to a tight pin
Putting is still a work in progress

Trying new putting grip where my thumbs are not parallel to each on the shaft. One thumb rides over the hand and the other thumb in on the putter grip so I only have one thumb in control of the putter

Sequencing and tempo. I want to swing fast without looking like I’m swinging hard. It’s been one of my main focuses for pretty much the entire offseason. I even started telling myself to swing slower to get the sequencing down. I think it’s finally starting to stick and I can start giving a little more effort to generating speed.

Today was the second round in a row where a partner mentioned my swing looking smooth or fluid. Since I don’t have a loss of distance I’m assuming my sequencing has improved. I haven’t taken video in forever because I wanted to fully commit to the change. I think it’s time for a spot check.

Back