What ball action do you want on full swing approaches?

What ball action do you want on full swing approaches?

• Spin back

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Stop on a dime (within 2-3')

Votes: 65 79.3%
  • Release a little (5-10')

Votes: 14 17.1%
  • Release a lot (10'+)

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
Was wondering what preferences folks had for the type of ball action on a full swing (poll) and why (welcome comments).

I do not put a ton of backspin on the ball so really have no experience judging the amount of spin to expect. So I prefer the stop on a dime option.

I'm used to the ball releasing more than 10 feet most of the time, so that's what I expect. When I unexpectedly stop it on a dime, I am usually WAY short. Backing it up is always an accident, if it happens at all.

Stop on a dime absolutely. If you can have that, and hit yardages predictably, you'll be in good shape.

Chicks dig the spin. haha. j/k. I would take stop on a dime.

Hop and stop is good for me. If I had it spin ball I wouldn't know how to pick distances hahaha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I want it to just stop on a dime. Playing for roll out makes it hard to judge your distance.

Just get it close I don't care how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on the pin location and undulations around it. A pin on a flat part of the green with a second level behind the pin calls for landing the ball behind the pin and pulling it back. A pin in front with a false front that is the last thing you want to do. A low runner landing the top half of the false front is often a good play to get it to bounce up onto the green. On tiered greens you want to get the ball on the same tier as the pin. Sometimes that calls for a pop and stop approach if it's on the top tier, especially if the back of the green runs away from you. If the pin is on the high point of the green a high soft ball that drops and stops by your ball mark is called for.

Id take stop on a dime all day. If I can hit it a specific distance and get the ball to stop within a foot of that distance, Id be happy.

I want little roll out but know with longer irons I may see some but still want it to be a little as possible.

Depends on the shot really. Pin placement plays a big role. But typically I want as little roll as possible.

Hop n stop please. As i'm not a high spin player

I prefer to stop it on a dime.

I need to be able to control the ball so stopping where I hit it is pretty important for the type of shot I'm playing.

i do not spin balls back, so one hop and stop is preferred. sometimes that's very close to the pitchmark, sometimes that's within a yard or two. perfectly acceptable.

I like the Snell MTB, lands softly

4i-6i my ball usually hits bounces a little bit forward and stops where it lands of the bounce. 7i-LW I'll usually spin it back to about the ball mark or a little further.

What I want and what I do are two completely different things!

I'd like it to stop on a dime. But I don't spin the ball a ton, so for me I get a ton of roll out!

I want the ball to land and stop. I don't mind a couple feet of spin on partial wedges, but 6+ feet on full swing shots can make things complicated.

I want to be able to control the spin. If it's a back pin I want the option of either landing and letting it to release or stop it. If it's a front pin I want to be able to carry it over and being it back. Most of all I want the ability to confidently control it. I'm not asking for much hahaha

Considering all my full swing shots within 120 yds are done with MD3 wedges, I prefer a higher ball flight that hits, bounces and checks. Never really been able to generate enough back spin on a ball to spin back on wedge shots

In an ideal world I would like to be able to control the spin so that I could play each and every one of those shots listed in the poll

Realistically I try to play each shot to allow for a little bit of movement, the longer the iron I am hitting the more I will allow for roll-out - sometimes that catches me out when I get that crisp pure contact that stops pretty much dead where it lands, but 99% of the time if I hit the green with my approach it won't be too far from where I wanted it to be

Obviously this will depend on if the green slopes towards or away from me and I will try to adjust accordingly with where I want to land the ball - couple examples, at my home course we have a par 3 (160-195yds depending on the tees) where you can be pretty aggresive as the green slopes quite hard from back to front, even off the back tees where I usually end up hitting a 4i it will often stop very quick as the hole is predominantly played into the wind. We also have a par 5 green that slopes severely away from you so if the pin is at the front I try to land it just short and let it release on

Short irons and wedges I don't typically see any backspin, but the ball is never far from where it lands

I want all the above. Working on cutting spinners with higher lofted clubs and also trapping lower flight shots that roll more. Standard full swing generally results in a stop within a few feet, but that's also very green hardness and micro-terrain driven.

Back