What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

Thank you, Mr. 57.
But it's the guys who have no clue what I'm talking about who have it all in front of them!

They no longer exist today, but I ditched wound balls in favor of Spalding's original Top Flite (the one with the old classic 336 dimple pattern, not the XL) sometime around 1972.

Titleist folks called it a hacker's ball, but I played to an eight with it for a long time.

Spalding ditched the golf business, but I still buy Dick's version of the Top Flite Gamer Tour out of force of habit.

I'm not sure that what's left of my game is very ball sensitive. I'm just sentimental.

The top flight gamer tours are actually pretty solid golf balls. Nothing wrong with that choice at all.

Went back to Callaway SuperSofts. I just can't pass them up for $20 a dozen.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I bought Pro V1 (Practice) . Anybody playing them ? Opinions?

Started my round with a Callaway Chrome Soft and it just wasn't going well. The ball just doesn't seem to go…anywhere for me. After two holes I switched to an SR3 and immediately par'd the next four holes. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the Chrome Soft. It's weird too, because I love the Super Soft…

Got a great deal so have been playing the Bridgestone B330S lately, normal ball is Tour Preferred X, and really liking the way these balls stop on the green. Hit 4 shots into greens today where the ball ended up exactly next to the ball mark. One shot from 85 yards land on a downslope, took one hop a zipped UPHILL back to the ballmark - ridiculous! Seems to fly similar distances off the driver as the TM, will have to do a side by side comparison soon to see if there's any difference there.

Started my round with a Callaway Chrome Soft and it just wasn't going well. The ball just doesn't seem to go…anywhere for me. After two holes I switched to an SR3 and immediately par'd the next four holes. I can't put my finger on it, but I just don't like the Chrome Soft. It's weird too, because I love the Super Soft…

Yet it's still listed as your ball in your sig... Update time!

I think you will like the proto that has the two dots...

I think you will like the proto that has the two dots...

I'm looking forward to that one too.

Copying my experience with the titleist test balls in here:

Put these up against my RXS and I liked them, they were a fine ball. They won't knock the RXS or the E5 out of my bag though.

They were a little shorter across the board except on full wedge shots than the RXS.

I did pick up a few scuff marks out of a bunker, but i kept playing the ball and it didn't affect performance too much.

The ball was great out of the bunker, however i didn't get it to check.

Played very similar to an E6 with very little greenside stopping power with wedges.

However on a couple of iron shots the ball one hopped stopped so a bit of a head scratcher but i will continue to test.

I played the Taylormade Project A. For the money I think the Project A is a great ball.

I bought Pro V1 (Practice) . Anybody playing them ? Opinions?

I think these are pro v1 that didn't pass standard qc. Flaw in the covers but still a pro v.

I went old school:

temporary_zpsfkgzj8b3.jpg

Posted via Tapatalk.

I went old school:

temporary_zpsfkgzj8b3.jpg

Posted via Tapatalk.
Dang, those are old!! I found a titleist that looked like the one on the left, it has to be at least 20 years old!

I played 9 yesterday with a Callaway Hex Hot Pro that I had picked up a few years ago. Kept it in play, hit greens and the ball was usually very close to the pitch mark, and distance was good.

Played the Duo. Just a solid ball all around. No real complaints. Excited to see what W/S is going to do with that line in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the Duo. Just a solid ball all around. No real complaints. Excited to see what W/S is going to do with that line in 2016
With your swing speed, do you find that iron shots are your usual distance or do they go farther?

With your swing speed, do you find that iron shots are your usual distance or do they go farther?

Funny that you asked that. I'm actually seeing some distance gains on iron shots. Yesterday was playing with my brother in law who just took up the game so we're playing at the white tees which is about 6300 yards. On one par 3 it was 147 to the flag took a 9i and shot 15* yards past the flag to a green side bunker directly behind the green but right on line. I re-teed and drop down to a gap wedge and was 8 to 10 yards short of the flag. So it has definitely been an adjustment on my end. I can't say it was all ball because these new apex irons that I'm gaming have definitely added some distance to my iron game.

Even on some 70-90 wedge shots (a shot I've been practicing a lot lately), I noticed I was getting some good distance with the 58* PM grind.

I've been doing a personal experiment on a lot of low compression golf balls lately. I have played just about everything on the market. And have noticed that on iron shots and wedges they're fantastic. But for me off the tee it's been really sporadic in regards to spin off the driver. I got a lesson when I came back from the Disney THP event and have been hitting my driver a lot more solidly lately. A few low compression golf balls are just really bad for me of the tee but off irons and wedges they're fine.

The DUO seems to have a good combination of everything; solid performance for me off the tee and the same off wedges and irons.

I'm gaming a lot of the DT TruSofts lately and while the verdict is still out I would give it a try if you like the DUO. Very similar for me. But so far off initial impressions the DUO seems longer off the tee.

Funny that you asked that. I'm actually seeing some distance gains on iron shots. Yesterday was playing with my brother in law who just took up the game so we're playing at the white tees which is about 6300 yards. On one par 3 it was 147 to the flag took a 9i and shot 15* yards past the flag to a green side bunker directly behind the green but right on line. I re-teed and drop down to a gap wedge and was 8 to 10 yards short of the flag. So it has definitely been an adjustment on my end. I can't say it was all ball because these new apex irons that I'm gaming have definitely added some distance to my iron game.

Even on some 70-90 wedge shots (a shot I've been practicing a lot lately), I noticed I was getting some good distance with the 58* PM grind.

I've been doing a personal experiment on a lot of low compression golf balls lately. I have played just about everything on the market. And have noticed that on iron shots and wedges they're fantastic. But for me off the tee it's been really sporadic in regards to spin off the driver. I got a lesson when I came back from the Disney THP event and have been hitting my driver a lot more solidly lately. A few low compression golf balls are just really bad for me of the tee but off irons and wedges they're fine.

The DUO seems to have a good combination of everything; solid performance for me off the tee and the same off wedges and irons.

I'm gaming a lot of the DT TruSofts lately and while the verdict is still out I would give it a try if you like the DUO. Very similar for me. But so far off initial impressions the DUO seems longer off the tee.
Thanks for the info!!
I notice that, with the Duo especially, and the Duo Soft (not as much SuperSoft), I am one club longer with short irons and wedges. Driver and longer irons tend to be about the same distances that I see with most other balls.
I have not tried the DT TruSoft balls, I am sure that I will get around to them.

Thanks for the info!!
I notice that, with the Duo especially, and the Duo Soft (not as much SuperSoft), I am one club longer with short irons and wedges. Driver and longer irons tend to be about the same distances that I see with most other balls.
I have not tried the DT TruSoft balls, I am sure that I will get around to them.
Please post your thoughts on the dt trusofts when you get around to them. I'm interested in trying but won't be playing golf for awhile thanks to Mother Nature.

Started off yesterday with the Duo. Lost a couple through no fault of their own. Still an incredibly solid ball and all around good performer.

Finished up with the last chrome soft I had out of a dozen I bought earlier this year. I had been unimpressed with it, up to the point of trading two sleeves to CAA_Beat for some Z Stars. Had a solid back nine it with good spin on chips and approaches.

I doubt I'll buy any more but any that I find will go into the golf bag rather than the shag bag.
Posted via Tapatalk.

Played a round on Saturday afternoon which we thought wasn't going to happen due to the rain we had on Friday and again Saturday morning, and because it was so damp and a lot cooler I decided to pull one of the last few Bridgestone e6 balls out for the round

I dread to think how bad my swing was that day as I was still managing to fade the e6 off the tee with the driver, so I suspect any other ball may have been a bit more wayward. Due to how well the e6 works to reduce side spin, I didn't miss many fairways despite the swing and those that I did miss were by very little

As the greens were very soft, full shots into them were stopping very quickly when I actually managed to hit the green, but I surprised myself by spinning one back with an 8i into one of the par 3's. It may have come back even further but it came off the front of the green and held up in the fringe

I really like this ball when my swing is off as it doesn't punish me like some other balls do, and in the damp conditions I don't feel like I am losing any spin with full shots into greens

TP X

TP X

OK, I've played Tour Preferred X 3 times in the last 10 days. Got 2 doz off ebay used for the leafy time of year. Ironically posted a 76 and a 75 last week, and a 79 yesterday. 2 of my lowest scores of the year. I played this ball when it first came out and really liked it, but it seemed a bit clicky/hard to me then. Maybe still does a bit, but it performs great off the tee. Only thing I think I've noticed is less spin around the greens = a little less control for me on shorter pitch shots. All in all nice ball and maybe the new one will be even better.

Hex chrome plus I got 50 of used for $15

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilson FG Tour again. maybe its the Legacy logo but this ball is really performing for me in the colder weather..

Wilson FG Tour again. maybe its the Legacy logo but this ball is really performing for me in the colder weather..
Great, great golf ball. Wish they were available more locally. Contemplating gathering up a couple dozen myself.

Back