What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

played the THP logo'd TM soft response i got from @Datkison...great off the driver and irons. not a huge fan off the putter but it wasn't something that would keep me from playing it.

pro v1 continues to shine!

TP5 today, just good all around. The the yellow.

Don’t fix what ain’t broke…Pro V1

Played a Vice Pro and a chrome Soft yesterday. Both good balls, but I prefer the sound and feel of the Vice.

They had a Titleist rep at the tourney today so as you passed hole 1 the box the rep asked what ball you played and if you wanted more launch or spin or less spin. everyone got 2 two ball boxes of balls. I got to yellow ProV1.

BRXS on Saturday. Cut through the wind decently off the tee and held up on approach shots, but I wasn’t really getting the green side spin I was hoping for. One of the guys I was playing with was using an e12 contact so that will probably be getting trialed next.

Pro V1, which I hadn’t played in a while. Like seeing an old long lost friend. We will be seeing more of each other, esp. when the weather gets colder.

Taylormade Tour Response - I've been experimenting with different golf balls for the last several months (Bridgestone Tour B RX, Callaway Chrome Soft, Callaway ERC, Taylormade Tour Response and, because I had a couple, Bridgestone Tour B X - my driver is maybe 95 mph on a good day, but wanted to see what they did). Interesting my longest drives and distance in general was with the Tour B X - feel was not great probably due to my swing speed outside the B X's design. I also could not get a good handle on it putting.

All the other balls were very similar distance, however each had a slight different feel - especially putting. I ended up going with the Tour Response since it's feel when putting fit me to a tee which resulted in the best distance/speed control. If I didn't putt so well with the Tour Response the Bridgestone Tour B RX would be my choice.

Saturday saw me start with the CSX LS, but I am wondering if I need to tweak my driver slightly (9° set currently -1/D) as I don't think I was getting the most out of the ball in the hot conditions we have had lately. Distance just didn't seem there for some reason, so after being behind my usual playing partner after the drive on the 9th hole, I switched to the CSX after we finished that hole and jumped to the 13th and for the next 3 holes I promptly hit drives that were at least 20yds longer than those I hit with the CSX LS, with the best drive being a good 50yds longer

It could be that my drive on the 9th pitched into an uphill slope that killed any momentum, but considering 2 out of the next 3 holes we played were all uphill, each of the drives were quite a bit longer

Sunday was an alternate shot format in one of our matchplay competitions with Jen, so I switched to a previous generation Chrome Soft to give her something that she could feel comfortable hitting and it performed well as always. Apart from one big pulled tee shot that resulted in a lost ball OB, I enjoyed the performance and will likely play that ball during the cooler months when I am wearing more layers and not able to swing as freely

Saturday has me doubting if the CSX LS is the best ball, but seeing as I have a dozen in my locker still, I will probably use them for casual rounds and go with the CSX for anything else as that ball definitely performs better than the previous generation (for me)

Standard Chrome Soft last night, and played the best round I've done in a couple of years. 77, and dropped 5 shots in 4 holes so should really have been much lower. Was it the ball? Was it the raging hangover, or was it just the months of grind bearing fruit? No idea, but the ball felt great off all the clubs, so I'll be having it in play for a while longer just to see how it pans out.

Standard Chrome Soft last night, and played the best round I've done in a couple of years. 77, and dropped 5 shots in 4 holes so should really have been much lower. Was it the ball? Was it the raging hangover, or was it just the months of grind bearing fruit? No idea, but the ball felt great off all the clubs, so I'll be having it in play for a while longer just to see how it pans out.
How firm are the greens where you are playing? If they are soft then the CS is a great ball, but if you feel like it isn't checking up quite as much as you would like, I would say to give the CSX a try as that thing is ridiculous when struck well - I had a few approaches dancing on the green with both full and partial shots over the weekend

How firm are the greens where you are playing? If they are soft then the CS is a great ball, but if you feel like it isn't checking up quite as much as you would like, I would say to give the CSX a try as that thing is ridiculous when struck well - I had a few approaches dancing on the green with both full and partial shots over the weekend
We had a wee bit of rain over Saturday night so they had softened a touch, but were still pretty baked. There was a bit of check with the CS but not a huge amount. My pro shop only had the CS in, so I picked up a sleeve just as a tester so will definitely get a pack of the new CSx from somewhere. I was delighted at having found a sleeve before, until you pointed out that they were last year's :LOL:

Z Diamond, and I love it.

Last two rounds I played a ProV1X. Just a really solid all arounder. Great feel and short game spin.

We had a wee bit of rain over Saturday night so they had softened a touch, but were still pretty baked. There was a bit of check with the CS but not a huge amount. My pro shop only had the CS in, so I picked up a sleeve just as a tester so will definitely get a pack of the new CSx from somewhere. I was delighted at having found a sleeve before, until you pointed out that they were last year's :LOL:
Haha, I can't remember if it was the CSX or the LS version that you had got from the last generation

If you want to try the LS version, let me know and I can send you a sleeve to try - not sure how many of the CSX I have got left as I have lost 3 in the last week (2 last Wednesday and another one on Saturday, all OB), so I might have to pick some more up before we go away for a few days next week

Need to check my locker at the club as there is a bit of a mix of balls in there, some CSX, CSX LS and some previous generation CS along with some Bridgestone Tour B RXS for the alternate shot rounds I play with Jen

in an effort to reduce a little spin off my irons, i put 4 different balls in play over 2 rounds this weekend. taylormade tp5x, srixon z star, callaway chrome soft x ls, and callaway chrome soft x (new version). i'll rank them in order of worst to best.

4. taylormade tp5x. honestly i can't put my finger on why, but my run of scoring with this ball was the worst of all. missed shots seemed to lose the most distance and/or travel farthest offline. i actually liked the feel a lot and it looks super premium. but scoring is what counts, and this one was pretty awful for me.

3. srixon z star. it was tour yellow, and i didn't love the finish. did not seem very premium to me. it felt CRAZY soft off all clubs, like almost too soft. to its credit, it was without a doubt the straightest ball off all clubs, and produced the best results on mishits. but on well-struck shots, it was noticeably shorter than the other balls. but the biggest issue for me was how it performed off the putter. it was like putting one of those foam practice balls. there was no rebound off the putter face. the ball came off dead every time. i guess i could eventually get used to it, but i'd have to hit my putts quite a bit harder than i prefer.

2. callaway chrome soft x ls. i think on my best ball striking days this would be an amazing golf ball. it has some serious distance potential off the tee. but directionally it was the wildest ball. fairways are a premium for me, and this ball didn't find enough of them.

1. callaway chrome soft x. it just continues to be the gold standard for me. plenty long off the tee. but approach shot performance is really where this shines, and i love the feel.

i'll probably pick up sleeves of a couple bridgestone balls, maybe tp5 and pro v1. but i'm not sure csx can be beaten, at least for my game.

The new Titleist AVX. It bumped the Callaway Supersoft ball out of the bag. Little longer off the tee, great impact feel and spins well from around the greens.

The new Titleist AVX. It bumped the Callaway Supersoft ball out of the bag. Little longer off the tee, great impact feel and spins well from around the greens.

I need to try that one. The Supersoft games well for me, and I'd like to try something fancier along those lines.

tried out the vice pros. They were ok. For the price if you buy the 5 dozen deal I can see them being worth it, otherwise I don't think the performance was really there.

Found a dozen Volvik Vibe's that I had buried in my stash so I took a sleeve and used them today. They are no longer made but I quickly remembered why I had them. Really good 3 piece, urethane covered ball that does everything quite well. Don't know if they make a ball that is similar now but that one was solid!

Titleist Pro V1X. Not my favorite but one I like and could game. A touch too much spin into the wind but at the same time stops really well even with the wind from behind.

Found a dozen Volvik Vibe's that I had buried in my stash so I took a sleeve and used them today. They are no longer made but I quickly remembered why I had them. Really good 3 piece, urethane covered ball that does everything quite well. Don't know if they make a ball that is similar now but that one was solid!
I believe the XT Soft is the replacement for them
I've been playing XT Soft for a week or so and it's really a good ball.
There is a 2022 version out.

Back