What ball would you recommend for a beginner?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Interested to hear THP’s thoughts on this... A family member has just started playing and asked me to recommend a ball. I went down the route of advising against playing something c**p but also pointed out there’s no point in shelling out on tour level balls right now... I recommended the Srixon Distance or AD333.

What would your thoughts and recommendations be? 😊

DSG or any big brand store that has the balls on sale, 2 for 24, 3 for 35 or BOGO.

If he's losing a bunch and $ is a concern, I would go with Precept Laddie Extreme. I think these are still sold by the two dozen.

If he doesn't mind going $20 or so/dozen, the Bridgestone e6 is great.

Just about any ball in the 20-25$ range should be good. Srixon soft feel is a good ball.

Bridgestone e6, Titleist Trufeel, or Noodles. Can't go wrong with any of those.

Callaway Supersoft is a good one. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Wilson ZIP balls. Anything Srixon would be good. You can usually find a great deal on used Kirkland balls online and that’s a good one too.

Wilson Staff 50 Elite.

I was going to suggest Kirkland balls as well - nothing wrong with them at all. I'm sure there are 10 different balls that would be just fine, my big suggestion as another person who just started is the first set of balls you buy just get some mass group of used balls since you can lose them quite quickly but then after you can do just fine with some basic ball and course management then just use the same ball. It doesn't really matter what ball you use, just make sure that you use the same ball.

TaylorMade Rocketballz on Amazon, Kirkland Signature from Costco or Vice Tour from their website or Target

Wilson Staff Duo, Callaway Supersoft, Bridgestone e6, Srixon Q Star have all worked well for me. All priced around $20 +/- per dozen.

Male/female, and how hard do they hit? Young/old?
For a good ball to start, you can't go wrong with a Callaway Supersoft (plus can choose colors).
Costco balls are a great price point if that matters?

Male/female, and how hard do they hit? Young/old?
For a good ball to start, you can't go wrong with a Callaway Supersoft (plus can choose colors).
Costco balls are a great price point if that matters?

Pinnacle Soft. $19.99 for box of 15.

I would suggest Lost Golf Balls and get a mid to mid-high graded good ball.
This is what I did when I was getting back into things. I knew I was going to lose a ton and didn't want to take that money away from green fees. I bought in bulk.

the cheapest ball you can buy in bulk

Second rounders in bulk.

Bridgestone TreoSoft or Callaway Hex Diablo both only $15/dozen and both quality balls that perform well

Precept Laddie is good. Wilson ZIP is good, Noodle is good.
Bulk recycled balls are good as well.

For the brand new beginner who is prone to losing balls, I'd recommend those cheaper Nitro balls. They fly pretty well, and at $0.50 a piece retail ($5.98 p/dozen at Walmart) a newbie can't really go wrong. They also come in assorted colors.

Once the newbie developes a decent consistent ball flight, then they should give the Bridgestone e6 a try.

Whatever is soft and on sale

I'd go on Ebay and buy 3A-4A condition for cheap. Also, lostgolfballs.com, which someone mentioned.

Back