What chipping technique do you use?

I’m reading 3 releases: The short game system by Daniel Grieve. Fantastic book and it’s helped me quite a bit.

For chip and run shots, I use an 8 iron. I place the ball closer to back foot and let my arms hang down while standing taller.
For higher chips and lobs, I recently acquired a Callaway Sure Out 56 degree. I am having great success with it, placing the ball in the middle of a wide stance. Choke up a bit and vary length of backswing as my guide to how far to hit it. Ball lands and sticks better than any other I’ve used.

Last edited:
My chipping is horrible so I tend to change how I do it every round... Chicken or the egg?

I have a very technical ,scientific,methodical and studious approach to this part of my game.........

Hit and hope :ROFLMAO:

Ok on an almost serious note , i was okish at chipping ,pitching ,bump and runs when i tried to play proper and now in my pitch and putt era i was ok still but then i lost it i was to short or through the green and off, so i looked on you tube and i am trying this and it seems to be working.

I position the club head about an inch behind the ball and thats does it ...... maybe your all thinking what the hell is he going on about:unsure:

Happy golfing everyone🏌️‍♀️🏌️‍♂️

It depends upon the lie.

From just off the fringe, putter.

If it's an open tight lie, or just off the green with a distance to the pin, bump and run with a lofted hybrid.

If it's in rough, SW and fly it most of the way.

If it's in rough and I'm short sided, LW, open it up and thump it.

I’m reading 3 releases: The short game system by Daniel Grieve. Fantastic book and it’s helped me quite a bit.

My chipping game is a disaster. I was a decent chipper for years and totally lost it about 18 month. Blade city. I've tried everything. Dead hand, hinge and hold, Runyon, Kisner. It all works great on the practice green. I could film a short game DVD. But it falls apart on the course into a herky jerky blady mess.

I have the second day of the club championship where my short game was a mixed bag of great and horrendous. I literally considered buying this on a Kindle when I read this thread at 6 am to see if I could speed through it.

#desperatetimes

My chipping game is a disaster. I was a decent chipper for years and totally lost it about 18 month. Blade city. I've tried everything. Dead hand, hinge and hold, Runyon, Kisner. It all works great on the practice green. I could film a short game DVD. But it falls apart on the course into a herky jerky blady mess.

I have the second day of the club championship where my short game was a mixed bag of great and horrendous. I literally considered buying this on a Kindle when I read this thread at 6 am to see if I could speed through it.

#desperatetimes
I definitely recommend it. He also has a bunch of short reels and posts online so you can also see what you are reading.

I use my 54° Jaws Raw for all my shots inside 80 yards

Around the green, I move the ball back for more run or forward for less run

Tried switching to a PW for running it and 58° for higher shots…just lead to too much indecision.

Simple works better for me

Have 2 basic shots:

1) Running chip with a little check - Runyon toe down method. Stock is a 9i but if I want more or less run I'll range between 7i and GW (48*) with this method.
2) If it's more than a few yards to get it into the green, or if I have to carry something, I'll do an open faced chip / pitch. Open the face on a wedge (which one depends how quick I need it to stop and how high I need it to go) 5-10*, take the ball in the center of the stance, choke up an inch or so, keep the weight forward, and make a mostly arms swing going back. Coming through, keep the hands low and turn.

I avoid flops except in really tough situations. But if I have to hit one, it's the same as #2 above, just the ball is a little further forward, I open the face more and I take a little bigger swing. Never a big full swing Phil flop, that doesn't end well 🤣

I'm told that it's called a "chush".

😆

I definitely recommend it. He also has a bunch of short reels and posts online so you can also see what you are reading.

I bought this afternoon. I can't put into words how bad my short game is right now. It's no exaggeration to say my handicap would be 3 shots lower if I could get up and down at even an average rate.

Then it putts so much pressure on the rest of my game. According to The Grint, I hit a lot of greens for my handicap. But as soon as I skull that first pitch, I put too much pressure on my iron play because I don't trust myself.

Day 2 of the Club Championship and I putted from 20 yards off the green because I was scared to chip it after skulling a simple chip the hole before.

I bought this afternoon. I can't put into words how bad my short game is right now. It's no exaggeration to say my handicap would be 3 shots lower if I could get up and down at even an average rate.

Then it putts so much pressure on the rest of my game. According to The Grint, I hit a lot of greens for my handicap. But as soon as I skull that first pitch, I put too much pressure on my iron play because I don't trust myself.

Day 2 of the Club Championship and I putted from 20 yards off the green because I was scared to chip it after skulling a simple chip the hole before.
I really think you will like what you read and see. Give it a fighting chance to succeed, it's legit.

I really think you will like what you read and see. Give it a fighting chance to succeed, it's legit.

I'll definitely give it a chance. The stuff on set up and the difference between short and long game swings has been huge. I'm a huge handle dragger in the short game...which is a death move.

I use my 54* put the ball back in my stance and have a ton forward lean to keep the ball low and run. The second shot would be with 54* keep back in the stance with moderate shaft lean and the ball doesn't run out as much. When needed i will pull up the 58* to hit it high

I'm not very creative, it's usually a bump and run with a 60 degree. I don't have good hands

I use the method I learned from a very good teaching pro and which I practice every time I go to the range. It's a hinge and hold technique somewhat like Phil teaches in his videos, but not entirely like it. I choose my club based on the total distance of the chip, given that I can land the ball on the green, and use anything from a lob wedge to an 8-iron. Greenside chipping is the strongest part of my game and, as Judy Rankin once said, is the easiest stroke to get good at.

I just spent two hours at our chipping/pitching green, determined I’m going to fix this every once in a while chunk shot before I end up losing my mind.

Tried numerous methods and the hinge and hold through impact method definitely worked best for me. I had gotten into the bad habit of not having my hands/handle leading through the shot. Unconsciously releasing way early.

Well, for the last 45 minutes never had a bad shot! I feel super relief……..for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
I have read Phil’s book and it did help my swing. I try to hinge and really have been working on being smooth from the 25-30yrds shot. Was out today and really was great practice. I usually use my 58 wedge which really has been my go to wedge. Love the SM8.
IMG_7519.jpgIMG_3302.jpeg

I use the Jason Day method except in one instance. If I have a lot of grain (Bermuda of course) I put my weight on my left foot and club toe down. And use a putting stroke. It is impossible to chunk it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow!! Just wow! I'm only partially through the book. I've gotten through the chapters on release 1 and 2.

I went to the range tonight with idea of really just trying to get release 1 dialed in. It took me a bit to get comfortable with it. But once I did, it felt great. And the sound was different than my normal hackfest chipping technique.

But the real a-ha was release 2. I've tried before to understand hitting it with the bounce, but just couldn't get the concept down in a repeatable consistent way. I had it all wrong. I was trying to add wrist hinge and release it. Once I understood the proper backswing and release, it all clicked.

I could hit short soft shots. Or longer pitches. Even with a 52* it was flying high and landing soft. Distance control was just a feel...which aligns with how I play. I was giddy. Absolutely giddy.

I know better than to fly the 'Mission Accomplished' banner after one range session, but I'm 'all-in' and ready to devour the rest of the book.

Wow!! Just wow! I'm only partially through the book. I've gotten through the chapters on release 1 and 2.

I went to the range tonight with idea of really just trying to get release 1 dialed in. It took me a bit to get comfortable with it. But once I did, it felt great. And the sound was different than my normal hackfest chipping technique.

But the real a-ha was release 2. I've tried before to understand hitting it with the bounce, but just couldn't get the concept down in a repeatable consistent way. I had it all wrong. I was trying to add wrist hinge and release it. Once I understood the proper backswing and release, it all clicked.

I could hit short soft shots. Or longer pitches. Even with a 52* it was flying high and landing soft. Distance control was just a feel...which aligns with how I play. I was giddy. Absolutely giddy.

I know better than to fly the 'Mission Accomplished' banner after one range session, but I'm 'all-in' and ready to devour the rest of the book.
Love it. I have my stock distances for my 1 club and 2 club stance for my 58 and 54. Plus my 2 club stance distance for my 50 and PW. It really helps to know those.

Love it. I have my stock distances for my 1 club and 2 club stance for my 58 and 54. Plus my 2 club stance distance for my 50 and PW. It really helps to know those.

I just got through the pithcing/partial wedge section. So different than the 'clock' method I tried to use. I always struggled with that technique. What he advocates in the book with the setup changes and release 2 seems like it is a LOT easier. Especially as much as I love release 2.

It's raining the next couple of days. This weekend will be about working on that with my 48, 52 and 56*.

I’m convinced the bump and run doesn’t work on sloped greens with speed. Flat big greens? Absolutely. But something with movement? This isn’t the best plan of action. It’s a heck of a lot easier to take most of the trouble out of play.

Depends. Sometimes I use the “chunk”, sometimes the “skull” sometimes the “bladed it” and other times the “thinned it.”

Back