What cigar did you smoke today?

Ugh....a cigar sounds so good right now. You guys that burn a lot of sticks, what’s your humidifier look like? Im getting my first house soon and looking to get a decent humidifier, nothing crazy huge and don’t want a small drawer style.

Ugh....a cigar sounds so good right now. You guys that burn a lot of sticks, what’s your humidifier look like? Im getting my first house soon and looking to get a decent humidifier, nothing crazy huge and don’t want a small drawer style.
I just have a 300 count cedar humidor. Works well - I found a nice deal at a scratch and dent place, and all it has is a small ding on the back that you can't even see, but the humidor looks nice.

Haha. Cubans are for beginners.

In all seriousness I’ve never smoked a mild Cuban. They are definitely not mild. Some Nicaraguan Habanos however will even knock me on my ass. The only cigar I got dizzy from was a Nica.
Glad you said it too, cubans are good cigars but they are not the standard. Many of the Nica's and Hondo's in my stash are equally as good or better than cubans...at least in my opinion.

Usually a good indicator of inexperience...lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If its your first humidor, I would suggest one that holds 100-125 cigars, as it will be plenty to start and allows you to grow your collection.

You can find humi's at online sites like cigarbid.com and cigarauctioneer.com, as these are good discount/auction sites that I use frequently.

I've got these. Singles and aged sticks in the wineador, boxes and things to age in the cooler mostly
20200328_192704.jpg
20200328_192837.jpg
20200328_192855.jpg
20200328_193207.jpg

I was so close to buying a 7' cabinet humidor cabinet but the guy sold it before I could get there

Safe to say I'm pretty stocked for a while.. if anyone wants to do a trade or something, especially if you have new releases, pm me, always down for a trade!

WOW...so your really just using a wine cooler?!?! That might just be perfect lol. Does it control humility?

WOW...so your really just using a wine cooler?!?! That might just be perfect lol.
I've seen people use tupperware containers and old coolers too... Mainly needs to seal and hold humidity around 70%.

WOW...so your really just using a wine cooler?!?! That might just be perfect lol. Does it control humility?

Yeah pretty common, they even make them specifically with the cedar shelves now (I had mine build for that, was before they started making them)

It only regulated temperature if I have it plugged in, but to max high of 65 which is too cool for mine (and it builds up some moisture in there too). And I use crystalized kitty litter actually. A tupp tray on the bottom, a mesh baggie up top. Spritz it every few months as needed and it maintains a perfect 65-66% rh in there.

I've seen people use tupperware containers and old coolers too... Mainly needs to seal and hold humidity around 70%.

Exactly .. A good seal is the most important thing. A lot of humidors won't pass the paper/dollar test. Tupperware isn't pretty but it's better than losing/drying out cigars

Yeah pretty common, they even make them specifically with the cedar shelves now (I had mine build for that, was before they started making them)

It only regulated temperature if I have it plugged in, but to max high of 65 which is too cool for mine (and it builds up some moisture in there too). And I use crystalized kitty litter actually. A tupp tray on the bottom, a mesh baggie up top. Spritz it every few months as needed and it maintains a perfect 65-66% rh in there.

Exactly .. A good seal is the most important thing. A lot of humidors won't pass the paper/dollar test. Tupperware isn't pretty but it's better than losing/drying out cigars
Interesting you seek 65% rh...I always aim for 68-72, with mine running a steady 70 normally with 2 boveda packs and a heartfelt industries crystal tube.

Interesting you seek 65% rh...I always aim for 68-72, with mine running a steady 70 normally with 2 boveda packs and a heartfelt industries crystal tube.

65-67 I'm good with, anything more my sticks can be tougher to burn.. I think 67/67 is like the golden rule, but if you go over 70* then humidity should stay a little lower

If it's cooler, then rh can be a little higher.

I should probably keep it a little higher, especially with all the cedar and boxes since those can suck up the humidity.

Hoping tomorrow will have glimpses of sun to get a cigar out back.. looking for a gas fire pit too to keep a little warmth out there

65-67 I'm good with, anything more my sticks can be tougher to burn.. I think 67/67 is like the golden rule, but if you go over 70* then humidity should stay a little lower

If it's cooler, then rh can be a little higher.

I should probably keep it a little higher, especially with all the cedar and boxes since those can suck up the humidity.

Hoping tomorrow will have glimpses of sun to get a cigar out back.. looking for a gas fire pit too to keep a little warmth out there
Ahhh...we are blending temperature with RH talk... My box holds steady around 70* and at 70% RH. I'm in TX, so the winter is really dry and summer is really humid. Box never leaves my closet, so its always cool temp wise, but humidity has to be watched closely in the winter.

For anyone else out there, anyone try the INCH Limitada sticks? I like the EP Carillo line and found a box of 10 for $80! Only 2000 boxes produced...so this was a steal.

I use Tupperware for mine and have had no issues. Will transition to a nice humidor if/when we build new house. Right now I’ve got no place to really put a nice one so the Tupperware makes it easy.

Please explain how to use the Tupperware?
Place in refrigerator in vegetable drawer with humidity?

Please explain how to use the Tupperware?
Place in refrigerator in vegetable drawer with humidity?

No no no... Just get a good sizer Tupperware, ideally a cedar tray (helps maintain humidity and age the sticks, but not 100/% necessary I think.. be sure to season it with distilled water so it doesn't take rh from the cigars/humidifier, etc), get a boveda pack or two, 67% or 70% depending on how you like them, and put them in a cool dry place out of the sun (closet?)

That's it

You can "refill" the bovedas or just put in new ones, but that can get expensive. Should last 30-45 days I think

@greekelite question. I have some sticks in my crappy humidor that have been sitting at 50% humidity and are a little dry. Can I save them and how? Also do I need to remove the plastic wrapper?

@greekelite question. I have some sticks in my crappy humidor that have been sitting at 50% humidity and are a little dry. Can I save them and how? Also do I need to remove the plastic wrapper?

You absolutely can save them. Just have to bring up the humidity little but little. Put them in a Tupperware with a good seal.

What are you using for humidification? Like one of those disks with foam? Careful with those, they can get funky, but depends on what solution you use. Ideally get a 65-67% boveda pack or two, just so low maintenance

And I keep mine in the wrappers but some I cut off the wrapper ends.. it's bro science but maybe helps them breathe? But nothing like taking an aged cigar out of a yellow tinted wrapper .. the celo is supposed to protect the cigar from damage, especially if they dry out and crack easier

You absolutely can save them. Just have to bring up the humidity little but little. Put them in a Tupperware with a good seal.

What are you using for humidification? Like one of those disks with foam? Careful with those, they can get funky, but depends on what solution you use. Ideally get a 65-67% boveda pack or two, just so low maintenance

And I keep mine in the wrappers but some I cut off the wrapper ends.. it's bro science but maybe helps them breathe? But nothing like taking an aged cigar out of a yellow tinted wrapper .. the celo is supposed to protect the cigar from damage, especially if they dry out and crack easier
I don't have anything in there right now. I found the humidor in a closet with a dried up boveda pack. I had forgotten about it but I have 6 sticks in there that I'd like to try and save. Unfortunately at this point I'll have to order stuff online so maybe I will get a couple new packs and some fresh sticks while I'm at it.

I don't have anything in there right now. I found the humidor in a closet with a dried up boveda pack. I had forgotten about it but I have 6 sticks in there that I'd like to try and save. Unfortunately at this point I'll have to order stuff online so maybe I will get a couple new packs and some fresh sticks while I'm at it.
You can recharge the boveda. I think you should use distilled water for it too. You basically soak it in there overnight, until it becomes soft and full, then wrap it in a paper towel in a sealed bag/container to get the moisture off the top, then when dry just toss it into the tupperware with the sticks. Should hold you over until your order gets there

Most of those humidors don't pass the dollar test:
"Place half of the bill inside the humidor and half outside. Close the lid and then try to pull the bill out. A properly sealed humidor will make pulling the bill out pretty difficult. If the humidor's seal is not airtight, the bill will come out easily. Perform the dollar bill test on the front and sides of the humidor."

You can recharge the boveda. I think you should use distilled water for it too. You basically soak it in there overnight, until it becomes soft and full, then wrap it in a paper towel in a sealed bag/container to get the moisture off the top, then when dry just toss it into the tupperware with the sticks. Should hold you over until your order gets there

Most of those humidors don't pass the dollar test:
"Place half of the bill inside the humidor and half outside. Close the lid and then try to pull the bill out. A properly sealed humidor will make pulling the bill out pretty difficult. If the humidor's seal is not airtight, the bill will come out easily. Perform the dollar bill test on the front and sides of the humidor."
A couple points of clarification to this advice...

*ONLY* use distilled water, never tap or bottled water otherwise you will get mold. You can use the "cigar juice" that online sites and cigar shops offer, but distilled water is cheaper and works perfect.

Make sure you season the cedar tray and let it settle/sit for at least 24 hour before you start laying cigars on it. To put this another way, open liquid is bad... Once distilled water has set into the cedar, it'll appear dry and will be dry to the touch, but it releases humidity...and that's what you want. I would suggest checking YouTube for seasoning videos that will walk you thru this.

As for those cigars that had been sitting at 50% humudity for awhile, it is my opinion that those are toast at this point. While you may be able to get some humidity back into them, they will still probably taste chalky or like dried wood/leaves...and not like good tabacco.

Setting up a humidor takes some effort initially, but once you get it settled its not hard and you'll save a boatload of $$ buying in bulk compared to buying single sticks each time...especially if you buy in bulk online.

I bought a couple of sampler packs from Stoagie Boys. Today I had a very nice cigar from RIOT - I've never heard of them, but it was very smooth and burned very nice.

Cigar stores are closed here...thanks covid but I went to the liquor store and they had a humidor with this gift pack inside. Undercrown is one of my go to cigars and this was a heck of a deal for $30
CE7235E2-CCEE-42E1-AB59-AD5C99F90B15.jpeg

Back