What do you focus on when using an indoor putting mat?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.4
Title says it. I am not sure it has helped me in the last couple of years, but maybe I am not utlizing it properly. What do you all focus on?

Every putt I stroke, rather it be indoors, or outdoors, practice, or playing for a score, the only thing I focus on is stroking a straight putt, on my chosen line, over an intermediate target.

Obviously I have do other things to decide on to find the line I want to use, but as far just putting the ball on a straight line, over the intermediate target is all I care about.

My problem is that my reads are not as accurate as my rolling a straight putt.

I focus on one of two things. 1) speed - I hit putts from the same distance trying to pound the ball into the hole, hit it center, and drop it over the front edge. 2) direction - I get out the PuttOut gate and focus on putting the ball through it en route to the hole. And occasionally I get out the putting mirror to check on everything at setup.

I focus on speed and a straight roll. I use the PuttOut Pressure Trainer on my mat, it gives useful feedback on both of the above. Using a mat doesn't help my green reading skills in the least, but it gives me a lot more confidence over putts 6 feet and in.

If there's break available, or if something can be stuffed underneath to create break, I set up two marks. Further one can be the 'hole'. I move the nearer one around to different places and focus on hitting through it with the right speed for the break to hit the second or 'hole'. If it's just a straight skinny mat (or store) I split the cup in half and try to alternate hitting into each side at about 3 different speeds. If there are lines on it, I always putt across them. Various angles of corner to corner. And I mostly focus on my rear stroke arc during the putts. Steady back, line, and speed. That's about it for me.

Speed and my hands are what I work on the most. My basement floor is pretty level so not much break but I do move the cup around to spice it up. I have a tendency to get too handsy right at the start of the backstroke so that’s my main focus. Honestly, it really has translated to the course for me. I’ve had a lot of time on my hands working from home these days. I even put a hole in the wall trying to chip onto the mat...I’ll never hear the end of that one

Distance.

full stop.

Title says it. I am not sure it has helped me in the last couple of years, but maybe I am not utlizing it properly. What do you all focus on?
Making sure that my beverage of choice is not more than arm's length away at any time during the activity....otherwise, I'd be outside putting ;)

Making sure that my beverage of choice is not more than arm's length away at any time during the activity....otherwise, I'd be outside putting ;)
You’re on a roll tonight.

You’re on a roll tonight.
I've been working my arse off the past few days and missed out on some THPing.... making up for it tonight instead of editing 3 pending budgets that need my review!

Besides, trying to keep up with the likes of guys like you, who consistently knock it out of the part makes it tough! ;)

I putt mostly 3 to 6 footers...focus on mostly on my setup, which seems to indicate what kind of stroke I'm going to make on shortish putts

I put one ball down and try to putt my other ball directly into it. I really have to hit a dead solid putt to get direct ball to ball contact

Stroke and speed. The problem with my indoor mat is it has lines on it. That great for working on my stroke. Unfortunately there are no lines available on the greens when playing. Now with my back yard putting green hopefully I can get better on a surface without lines.

I focus on my grip, posture and stroke. Try to get the right feel and balance and a consistent strength of hit.

Stroke and speed. The problem with my indoor mat is it has lines on it. That great for working on my stroke. Unfortunately there are no lines available on the greens when playing. Now with my back yard putting green hopefully I can get better on a surface without lines.

Agree about the lines. On the whole I would prefer to not have them because as you say they won't be there on the greens.

I use my mirror and really focus on my set up, where my eyes are over the ball and a repeatable stroke each time. I am not worried about making a putt or practicing from a particular distance. For me it's making sure my set up and fundamentals are there and i'm not getting sloppy.

Agree about the lines. On the whole I would prefer to not have them because as you say they won't be there on the greens.
They can be nice to guide my stroke keeping it on path. But yeah when they are not there it’s tough.

Set-up, swing path, releasing the putter. Like others, I use a putting mirror in combination with my putting mat and that has really helped in taking a consistent set-up and stroke. My short putting has improved dramatically, however the speed of the mat is faster than many greens I play so long putting still needs work on a real green.

I really just focus on getting a straight roll. I definitely get the ball on line better when I have been using my putting mat in my office.

I try to make sure my setup is good and that I am getting the ball to the hole. With the incline at the end of the matt for the return if it goes in then I know on course I won't be leaving anything short.

I have the Puttout Mat, Gate, mirror and Trainer - don't use all of them at one time (usually).

I want to get that ball to stay in the Trainer, but I focus on a spot on the back of the ball/spot and see if I can keep my focus there until my stroke ends. I've found that focus very important.

Of course, I work on setup, address position, and stroke, look at my shoulders in front of a mirror, but keeping my eyes still on the back of the ball/spot until the stroke is complete is key - maybe it's keeping the eyes still, which pros say is important, is the deal. But eyes still seems key.

Start line and putter path. Also center contact. Almost never speed because it doesn’t matter much as speed is different.

I have a rotation of putters, and the mat helps me decide which one earns the spot in the bag. Usually gives me a bit of confidence before heading over to the course.

I try to focus on making a good stroke/contact and having the right pace.

Back