What do you focus on when using an indoor putting mat?

Start line and putter path. Also center contact. Almost never speed because it doesn’t matter much as speed is different.

This sums it up for me. I call it direction and stroke. Try to work on get the ball started on line and try to groove a path for the putter head.

I focus on not turning the putter head prior to contact.

Intermediate line on the Putt Out mat. I found that was more trusting for my proper alignment to the hole and it really helped me groove my aiming point this past season on course. I'll probably pull out the mat from the closet this winter again but I haven't felt I needed it for months. I do use the pressure putt trainer for a few putts here and there still. It's unobtrosive from a spouse standpoint and just stays on a side cabinet. (Probably wouldn't matter if it was obtrusive right now anyway as no one is doing indoor visiting.)

All I care about with indoor putting is putting straight every single time. Develop consistency and don't let the club head turn occasionally. That is when I miss those straight 6 footers. I feel the club head turn at impact and its left most times. When I practice indoors I try to see how many times I can putt straight.

My problem is my back. For some reason that particular bend when putting hurts my low back more than anything. On the course its not an issue because you hit your putts and move on. When I spend more than 3 or 4 minutes with it I have to stop. The same with chipping. That is why I only use one ball when on the practice putting green. So I can walk between putts.

Head still, relaxed hands, back and thru smooth.

Putting square is my main thing, Speed is always only relevant to the given conditions anyway and slope is what it is. My main thing is hitting the ball square to my aim line.

Wrong aim lines can be adjusted. But not stroking square to ones intended aim line is just poor form. Twisting the club head in or out is what I want to avoid as well as a stroke path that isnt square. Id much rather miss because my aim line was off vs miss because I twisted the putter head at contact or had a poor stroke path. Again, Imo I can always adjust wrong aim and also speed. But hitting crooked vs the intended aim line is just something imo we cannot do.

Parallel alignment sticks at the ball/stroke area very close to the putter head is what I do.
Square feet, square shoulders, square putter head, square stroke (all on target line) is my main concern..

Set up and accuracy.
speed not much of factor as greens will always vary.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Every putt I stroke, rather it be indoors, or outdoors, practice, or playing for a score, the only thing I focus on is stroking a straight putt, on my chosen line, over an intermediate target.

Obviously I have do other things to decide on to find the line I want to use, but as far just putting the ball on a straight line, over the intermediate target is all I care about.

My problem is that my reads are not as accurate as my rolling a straight putt.

^^^ This - putting mat and Practice is always about the stroke.

When i get outside I worry about reads/speed

For me it's all about alignment and hitting it straight. I feel like if I can roll it exactly where I was aiming it will transfer to a real green. It takes 1 factor out of the equation. Read it correctly, and then get the speed right and it should be in the cup!

Straight roll, I have a Putt out mat and I found out if I don’t keep my head down, I put side spin on the ball and it crosses the straight line.

Last edited:
Normally I use my putt out mat for checking my stroke is straight and I am starting the putts on the right line.
At the moment I am working on my aim bias just trying to see the line as straight at the middle of the cup rather than left side when I set up square to the putt. I am working with the vision T line which is starting to straighten out my bias.

Back