What do you think of the "No women members allowed" at Augusta

Golfgal

Fanatic
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Everyone

I want to write an article about the Masters for Inside Golf and I want to include in it some thoughts on the "no women members allowed" rule.

I don't want it to be my opinion in the article, but a collection of opinions by avid golfers like all of you.

So...care to share your thoughts on this?

thanks
Gayle

Its bound to be changed sooner or later, because if I'm not mistaken, its unconstitutional.

We have a full thread on this Gayle. Strong opinions either way. I support their right as private club to do this as does the female owner of this site. Just like we would support the right of a private club to have females only.

like smalls said, its not unconstitutional. and like JB said, its a private club and i support their right as a private club to have their own rules.

It's not unconstitutional. It's a private club. We had a thread about this earlier Golfgal, I'll try to find it.

EDIT: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2567&highlight=masters

Perfect thanks! This is really useful.

I understand the issue of private clubs having the right to do what they want, but what about privately held companies. They can't hire based on gender or race - it's illegal. Will that change for "private clubs" someday do you think? Is there a parallel to be made?

Remember the "No women - No dogs" sign at St. Andrews? Where did that picture go? I wish I had it.

Cheers
Gayle

Comparing companies to clubs is not really a fair comparison. Two completely different animals.

Thier is a men only club here in Arizona and the women are not alowed on the property unless they work their, and they have a lady pro and 2 beverage cart ladies and 2 or 3 in the clubhouse..

Comparing companies to clubs is not really a fair comparison. Two completely different animals.

Hmmm...I don't know...maybe...maybe not...

30 years ago a black man couldn't play in the PGA - and The PGA is an association. Associations have members just like clubs.

I'm not judging anything today - just gathering data. But I do think it is an interesting question when you look at history.

Women weren't allowed to play in the PGA either until Annika stepped in and then Ms. Wie.

Things are changing all the time - some good - some not so good perhaps. But it's curious to hear what different people's opinions are...

Babe Didrikson played on the mens tour:

From Wikipedia:

By 1935, she picked up the sport of golf, a latecomer to the sport by which she would become the most famous. Shortly thereafter, despite the brevity of her experience, she was denied amateur status, and so in January 1938, she competed in the Los Angeles Open, a men's PGA (Professional Golfers' Association) tournament, a feat no other woman would even try until Annika Sörenstam, Suzy Whaley, and Michelle Wie almost six decades later. She shot 81 strokes and 84 strokes, and she missed the cut (scoring too badly to continue in the tournament). In the tournament, she was teamed with George Zaharias. They were married eleven months later, and lived in Tampa on the premises of a golf course that they purchased in 1951.

While Zaharias missed the cut in a PGA tour event during her first year of tournament golf, later as she became more experienced she made the cut in every PGA tour event she entered. In 1945, Zaharias played in three PGA tournaments. She shot 76-81 to make the two-day cut at the Los Angeles Open (missed the three-day cut after a 79), making her the first (and currently only) woman in history to make the cut in a regular PGA tour event. She continued her cut streak at the Phoenix Open, where she shot 77-72-75-80 finishing in 33rd place. At the Tucson Open she shot 307 and finished tied for 42nd. Unlike other female golfers competing in men's events, she got into the Phoenix and Tucson opens through 36-hole qualifiers, as opposed to a sponsor's exemption.

Hmmm...I don't know...maybe...maybe not...

30 years ago a black man couldn't play in the PGA - and The PGA is an association. Associations have members just like clubs.

I'm not judging anything today - just gathering data. But I do think it is an interesting question when you look at history.

Women weren't allowed to play in the PGA either until Annika stepped in and then Ms. Wie.

Things are changing all the time - some good - some not so good perhaps. But it's curious to hear what different people's opinions are...

So then my thoughts hold true the entire time. That women should not have womens only clubs either correct? No female only health spas or anything else?

Talking about the PGA and talking about Augusta National are two very different things. People always want to make a fuss about women not being able to get into certain things, yet nobody says anything about mens limitations. WOmen have played in the PGA. Yet men have not played in the LPGA.

There are plenty of clubs (not golf) in this country that are female only. There are colleges that are female only. Yet because of Augusta's popularity, and exclusivity, it becomes a target. Martha Burke did this already and made a HUGE ordeal out of something. When the time came less than 25 people IIRC showed up for her protest.

Can I ask a basic question?:

Why would a guy want to be a member of a "men only" club? What's the appeal?

Hi Everyone

I want to write an article about the Masters for Inside Golf and I want to include in it some thoughts on the "no women members allowed" rule.

I don't want it to be my opinion in the article, but a collection of opinions by avid golfers like all of you.

So...care to share your thoughts on this?

thanks
Gayle

i think that it will to be hard for you to keep your opinion out of the article. i just get the feeling that you dont agree with their policy. or am i mistaken?

I guess it would be an escape for some men.
Spoiler
Or some guys like a sausage fest.

Can I ask a basic question?:

no%20girls%20allowed.jpg

Spoiler
Farting, belching, and pictures of naked women.

Kinda like the Freemasons. Thats an all guy club too.

I was a Mason. Not a Master Mason, but in a Masonic Order. I eventually became State Rep.

What? History channel lied to me! I could have sworn that the freemasons were male only.

What? History channel lied to me! I could have sworn that the freemasons were male only.

Master Masons are. But they have bunches of orders.

History Channel lies frequently. I saw a Mason documentary on there once, maybe the same one...had a great laugh!

I'm sure it differs for different men.

Well, sure. But what would some of those things be?

I guess it would be an escape for some men.
Spoiler
Or some guys like a sausage fest.

Escape from what?

no%20girls%20allowed.jpg

Spoiler
Farting, belching, and pictures of naked women.

I'm pretty sure those things aren't tolerated at Augusta either. Besides, have you been out in public lately? The presence of women doesn't seem to be a deterrence for men to engage in any of those activities in public.

I have to say, it really wouldn't bother me at all if there was a women only club somewhere. I'm not threatened by it and I'd bet most guys would feel the same. It's legal and it's not hurting anyone. I think there are bigger issues in this world to focus on and invest energy and time into. If anyone is having trouble coming up with another issue just let me know, I'm sure I can come up with a few for you.:bulgy-eyes:

Babe Didrikson played on the mens tour:

From Wikipedia:
Oh my...you are on top of things aren't you?

How old are you anyway? :wink:

I'm too impressed to say anything. :worship:

Back