What do you use in the 4h/7W/driving iron/4i spot?

I go 19* UW to 23* Mavrik Pro 4H to 5 iron

I will soon be going 21° Apex UW and 4 iron.

a 4 hybrid from Mizuno has taken my 4i slot, much more forgiving.

Currently both an Epic Forged 5i and a Rogue Heavenwood. Just going to experiment with a Mavrik 7W instead of the 5i when I can swap the new Tensei Pro shaft in there...

A

21* spot for me is always a utility, was an excellent move for me last year to commit to, tee and turf.

Tour Edge 4 iron-wood does the trick for me. It's a weapon.

i haven't used a 4i in a couple of years...now that falls to a 4h or a hard 5i. i don't carry a 5w, i am more confident in my hybrids the a 5w.

4h and 7w used interchangeably depending on course.

I use a 20 degree TSi 3 hybrid, as well as a U500 4i with GD Tour AD-UT, which was bent (by Titleist) to 21*. The 4 iron will run out for me, while the hybrid gives me a higher flight. Each has its positives and gives me options out of various lies. Off a tee the hybrid usually carries further, but the 4i is more controllable, and will likely end up closer to the pin. (I sometimes over draw the hybrid.) For pure distance from the fairway, I will play the hybrid, which averages about 5-10 yards longer than the 4i.

My 4 iron spot is taken by the Titleist U505 4-iron. I was using either a 3W-5W setup, or 3W-2or3h. Briefly tried 4W-UH from Maltby. But recently acquired TS2 4w and 7w and I think these are going to be golden.

I use a 4h. Taylormade m2. I'm due for an update

Ping G425 9W with the loft set to 22* from 23.5. It is kind of an 8 wood. The 7w went too close in distance to my 5w and I couldn’t find a hybrid I loved.

Loving my 7W in that spot!

For the past 8-10 years I've used a 4 hybrid. In my younger years I carried a 7 wood and a 4 iron. This past fall I did purchase another 7 wood to experiment with so who knows what I'll be using by August.

I have both 4H and 3H along with a 3 wood. They gap well for me. I've had hybrid irons in the past but found them less forgiving and less flexible in various lies, so hybrids make more sense for me.

I've gone at that slot so many ways over the last couple years, 3 or 4 hybrids, GAPRs, hollow body distance 4 irons, Utilitiy Irons, heavenwood etc... but I really like where I landed for the last half of 2021. Been gaming a PING G425 4H there. It's the one hybrid, in all I've tried, that doesn't go hard left on me at the worst possible time since the lie is set to flat and it's lofted down. Shortish knocker so I only have 60 yards (per Garmin Golf) between my average driver (240) and 5 iron (180) and I have 3 clubs to bridge that gap. My current setup does it as well as I could hope. My Mav SZ 3+ averages 224, my SIM 2 Ti 5W is 209, and that G425 4H averages 195. Better yet I can depend upon one of those options (the 3+) to never go left, the 5W to never go right, and the 4H to almost always go straight or to turn in whatever direction I'm trying for.

I need to know more about this. Used a Speedzone 4i in the past, and have pondered the X Forged UT. What gains did you see? Also, what shafts did you go from and into?
Won’t know any actual gains or dispersion until I have the actual club in hand. And I didn’t get any numbers from the Trackman in California. Loft doesn’t mean a ton because of the profile but I’ll be 5* weaker with my UT. I’m not expecting the same distance but I’m expecting more consistency. I will for keep you updated though.

Rad was incredible this season though. Bomber!! Had a recoil 95 in there and I’ll be going to MMT 95 in the UT

I go Driver, 17° KingTec hybrid and 4 iron

Maltby KE4+ Forged Driving Iron. I consider it more of an iron headed hybrid. I can’t hit other driving irons anywhere near what I can hit this club but it still maintains a lower trajectory than a typical hybrid.

I use my 21* UW and it’s fit the gap perfectly between my 5i and 19* UW

Won’t know any actual gains or dispersion until I have the actual club in hand. And I didn’t get any numbers from the Trackman in California. Loft doesn’t mean a ton because of the profile but I’ll be 5* weaker with my UT. I’m not expecting the same distance but I’m expecting more consistency. I will for keep you updated though.

Rad was incredible this season though. Bomber!! Had a recoil 95 in there and I’ll be going to MMT 95 in the UT
Gotcha, wasn't sure how many number you got at ECPC.

I have the Catalyst 80 in my Speedzone, but have thought about trying the Recoil before. Excited to hear more on this utility iron journey, and I'll be checking into the X Forged thread for sure!

This spot is an ongoing question for me. In the past I've always played a 4i. But when I think back about consistency of on-course outcomes with 4i vs. 3hy, the 3hy wins. I also picked up an iron set where I went with a more forgiving 5i and 4i. I have had good outcomes with those. My main takeaway is that there is a point where I'm just making golf harder by not adding more forgiving options in the longer iron spots. Where that is with each iron set and what to use will be an ongoing experiment.

Just today, I was pondering playing my ZX7 irons through 6i with a ZX5 5i, 4hy, and 3hy. That's appealing to me.

Back