What do you want from a 3w?

A lot of people struggle with that however that is not the question. So are you looking for Max Distance then?
Max carry I guess. I hit it plenty far already.

I want magic from my 3 wood. In the real world, however, 3 wood is a specialty club with limited use for me. I use it off the tee here and there and occasionally pull it out for 2nd shots on par 5s. And, honestly, something like a 3 hybrid covers those same needs reasonably well. Someday I will figure out what I want to do with that spot in the bag. Just not today.

At my home course we have a number of holes where driver can get you into trouble due to hazards or dog legs, so 3w for me has to be a club I can hit from the tee as well as the fairway for par 5 approaches

I’m not a super long driver. 250ish when things are going right. I like to have a club that’ll go 230ish from the fairway. Lots of long courses here.

I need some forgiveness to help the less than perfect swings, but man it’s fun to get on to a par 5 green in 2.

I also carry a 5W, and tend to use it more often, as it’s currently my 205ish club.

I don’t typically use either from the tee.

i want 25 more yards and in the fairway

This is actually a good question, I think I want predictability. Distance isn’t my primary concern. Expect it to hit a number but it’s definitely not a super long number

I want it to do it all but I know I’m not good enough to make it do it all. Off the tee it’s a position club to stay short of danger. I don’t want it to roll into the danger I’m trying to stay short of and I don’t want to hit a 5W and lose distance. Since moving back a tee box I’ve seen more 3W into par 5s. I want it to hold. Give me the high launching, spinning 3W all day. With the exception of driver, I want the rest of my clubs to focus on approach shots and holding greens.

I play a 300 mini driver with a 3W length shaft cranked down to 13.5*. Of course, something like that's going to be a tee club foremost, but I've been shocked how useable it's been off the deck. It's good enough to keep me from carrying a dedicated FW... I just jump straight to a 22* hybrid.

I would want it to be as easy to hit as my 5w.
I dropped the 3w in favor of the 5w it's slightly shorter but I can hold greens with it.

I’m probably biased since I just added a new one, but versatility. Want to be comfortable off the deck and tee, and be a second club to hit into par 5’s or a first shot that driver doesn’t play well onto.

I’m getting pretty comfortable with my driver so I don’t think it’ll be a safety club off the tee, but mostly for holes where hitting driver length will put me in trouble.

Also fighting wind, I can flight my 3w a lot lower than driver right now, since my comfortable driver shot is a high flighted bomb.

Simply, relative ease in hitting it off the fairway. So I’ve moved to HL style 3 woods with fantastic results.

When I hit that low line stinger, that goes about 190, then hits the deck and runs for 20-25 yards, is just perfect.. Looks so cool when in the air, maybe 20 feet above the fairway...

Jeez! I don't even hit my driver that far...
Hit Hard Vicente Luque GIF by UFC

I have a Callaway Diabo Octane 3w, and have played it since about 2010-2011. Have not really looked to replace it, as I did the matching driver I replaced with a Ping G410 SFT. Possibly will look at a 3w with adjustability, but for now, playing this club. I like the taller club face, and it is easy to get the ball airborne. Good strikes are rewarded with this club, and with my slow swing speed, bonus yardage!!

I want it to be point and shoot, whether that be from the tee or fairway. I mostly use it off the tee where driver runs through a dogleg or can put you into a hazard. Other times it’s just an advance as far up a Par 5 as possible, I rarely try to fly it onto a green. Been playing a slightly higher lofted version, essentially a 4w and I like the forgiveness of the extra loft.

Off the tee and 2nd shot on a Par 5 when you just need to advance it down the hole as far as you can, I also carry a 5 wood for the higher launched 2nd shot into a reachable Par 5 and ultra safe tee club. Only recently went back to 3W and 5W, from a 4 wood/7 wood combo, reason for change primarily was the 4 wood with a 42.5” shaft didn’t feel like I was advancing it far enough off the tee (so would often just hit Driver), and the 7 wood just felt like a one trick pony, as a club where I just used it for the yardage after my next longest club in the bag. In a nutshell, a 3 wood for me gives me more options, not just as a stand alone club but what it allows to follow in the rest of my bag.

Back