What is a good golf shot?

What is considered a good shot?

• Total voters
A good shot is when the ball goes to the location that I was aimed at. I’m not always aiming at the pin. It going there with the shot shape and height I wanted makes it a great shot.

A good golf shot is one that does not introduce an additional shot to make up for it.

For me a good golf shot has more than one meaning. On one hand, a good shot is one that has a good outcome. It doesn't really matter what it looked like from A to B. The other good shot to me is when I perform the shot as intended. In this case, the outcome may or may not be good.

So here's a question. If I'm say on the 15th hole. It's a dogleg left. I hit a decent, not a great tee shot but it end up in the fairway on the right side. My rangefinder says I'm 170 yds from the flag. From experience I know that shot plays as 200 yds due to elevation change. This means a 5W to be safe and clear the bunkers and I have to hold the green with that. The odds of even hitting the green are slim. So I take out a 5H and hit a shot that finishes 20 yds short of the green, avoids all the trouble and ends up perfectly centered for a chip and run, was that a good shot?

As long as it it as close to what I intend to do
For example I want to slice and it slices or fades it’s generally “ good” cause that’s what I planned for. From more than 150 feet away I just want to move the ball left to right or right to left and get the ball to the side off the pin or the part of the fairway I intended to land

So here's a question. If I'm say on the 15th hole. It's a dogleg left. I hit a decent, not a great tee shot but it end up in the fairway on the right side. My rangefinder says I'm 170 yds from the flag. From experience I know that shot plays as 200 yds due to elevation change. This means a 5W to be safe and clear the bunkers and I have to hold the green with that. The odds of even hitting the green are slim. So I take out a 5H and hit a shot that finishes 20 yds short of the green, avoids all the trouble and ends up perfectly centered for a chip and run, was that a good shot?
If that was your intent, it was a great shot. And probably a smart one to choose for most of us. "Good shot" and "Hero shot" aren't always synonymous.

"Good shot" is very situational to me. If I'm in a terrible rocky dirt lie behind low-hanging trees with rough between me and the fairway and no safe way to advance the ball toward the green, a good shot would be if I pulled off a low punch that got under the trees, over the rough, and ran back out into the fairway, getting me out of jail and putting me in position for an unobstructed next shot from a fairway lie.

Good shot for me is when I have a good strike and the ball finishes close to where I aimed.

I agree with others that a good shot is one that you execute the way you wanted to. Sometimes it isn't the right shot in the end, but if I can hit what I think is the right call, then I cannot be disappointed in myself.

A good shot is one you executed as planned. It's not always wise to go for the pin.

If I have a left tucked pin and as a left-handed player envision a high fade that starts at the middle of the green and fades toward the pin landing 10 feet right of the flag, and I execute that shot as envisioned. That is a good shot.

If I have a bad lie that won't allow me to get much spin on the ball, but I see a spot I can land it and have the ball run up onto the green, and I execute that shot. That is a good shot.

Yesterday I played a course I'd never played before. They had a par 3 at a significantly lower elevation than the tee box. I picked out a spot just short of the green and right of center, expecting it to jump forward and then left toward the flag based on what looked like the slope of the green. I landed it precisely on that spot, it jumped straight up and settled on the front of the green. Turns out the area just short of the green slopes up, but I couldn't see that from the tee. I considered that a good shot. The error was missing information, but I executed the shot.

Last edited:
A solid shot that travels in the direction and height I've aimed for.

What do you consider a good golf shot? Does it finish near the hole? Does it land near the pin regardless of the finish? What do you consider and why?
It goes the approximate direction it's supposed to (not a pull, push or double cross), on a trajectory close to what it is supposed to (not skied or skulled) and goes close to the distance I wanted (not too long and not too short). The shorter the club the less margin for error to call it good.

Back