What is a "Sandy"?

FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
Having a debate with some friends as to what constitutes a "Sandy".

I am in the camp of getting up and down for par or better within 2 strokes after you land in the sand. But some are arguing its just par or better on the hole if you are in the sand at anytime on the hole. Their opinion is actually better for me as there is a par 5 on my home course where I drive my ball into a bunker off the tee all the time and it is easy to get out of and make par or better.

What do you guys think?

It rarely comes into play with my buddies and I, but we play par or better after any shot in the sand.

Sandy = Sand Save for me. So needs to be an up and down from the sand. One shot from the sand and the next one needs to be in.

Fairway Sand sucks but really isn't part of the sand save conversation for me.

It rarely comes into play with my buddies and I, but we play par or better after any shot in the sand.
I’ve heard people call it a “Sandy par” if you were on the beach anywhere in that hole. I guess if you’re playing a money game and “Sandies” are on the menu, it would be a good idea to clarify what they consider a “Sandy”.

I’ve heard people call it a “Sandy par” if you were on the beach anywhere in that hole. I guess if you’re playing a money game and “Sandies” are on the menu, it would be a good idea to clarify what they consider a “Sandy”.
Correct. We have played it both ways and regardless, it needs to be clarified on the first tee.

Sandy = Sand Save for me. So needs to be an up and down from the sand. One shot from the sand and the next one needs to be in.

Fairway Sand sucks but really isn't part of the sand save conversation for me.

what if you make the putt for birdie after a fairway sand shot, is that a Sandy for you?

what if you make the putt for birdie after a fairway sand shot, is that a Sandy for you?
Hmmm.... I guess technically yes. But I guess at that point it isn't a scramble up and down. Yay stupid golf metrics that don't mean much.

If I was playing something like wolf that had all of those additional games I would clarify what a sandy means. Probably in those games it's any par or better with the ball in the sand.

Par or better on a hole after playing a shot from a bunker on the same hole.

wrong thread-sorry

You absolutely have to clarify all the details whenever sandys are announced as part of a $$$ game. I've seen more than a couple stupid arguments erupt due to differing assumptions or slippery slope interpretations. One in particular led to a crybaby quitting our group over a $5 sandy. Early in the round he stated that one particular save supposedly wasn't 'greenside' and thus invalid. Later on the guy who disallowed it on the technicality saved one from the sand where his bunker shot was even longer. He quit us for good when we called him on his BS. Easiest way to avoid any butthurt is to use any par or better from any bunker.

200410MAS_041MH.jpg
This is the new Sandy!

We play a Sandy is up and down for par or better. That can be out of a fairway bunker and a putt for birdie that you make or a greenside bunker for a par. The key is the up and down so in their argument it wouldn’t be a Sandy as they didn’t get up and down.

Does it count as a "sandy" if the tee box is just sand and I make par or better?

I have played with people that play it both ways. Getting up and down from the sand for par or better which includes a fairway bunker or making par or better on any hole out of the sand. I am generally of the up and down for par or better school.

Doesn't have to be greenside for me. Say your drive is in the timber on a par 4, and you punch out through the fairway into a bunker, and then get up and down with a 6 iron for par. That's a damn fine sandy in my book.

Typically, a sand save is getting up and down for par from a greenside bunker. I suppose that it could still count if you are in the sand at any point in time on the hole, even if its a fairway bunker.

For those of you who limit it to "greenside" bunkers, how close does the bunker have to be to be considered "greenside"?

Back