What is the Longest Iron in You Are Comfortable Hitting?

7 iron for me.

I bag an SGI iron set where the 5i and 6i are basically hybrids, and I love that. I have no trouble elevating either one when I put a clean hit on them. But the added length makes that clean-hit part more challenging.

My iron set stops at a 5 and i am getting way better with it. I don't think i would go any lower unless it was super easy to hit.

5 iron, but I'm still not giving up my 4-iron. For some reason, I hit that so well out of the trees, straight low trajectory bullet, 200 yrd runner, but from the fairway, not so straight?

4 Iron, but with the loft on modern clubs I just don't have room in the bag for it, so I go D, 3W, 5W, 5H, 5I...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

5 iron is my longest iron in the bag

my 4i is in the bag but I hit it for a low punch shot only. 5i is the real answer for me.

Longest iron in my bag is a 6i, which is pretty much like an old school 4i from my youth (in loft & length)

5i is a 50/50 proposition for me. I am getting a lot more comfortable with my 6i.

5i, but I don’t fear a 4i

I am thinking going utility then hybrid and then 5 iron... 4 iron is spotty and id rather be short with a solid 5 than risk the 4i but I still hit 4 pretty well.

5 as far as comfort. I can still hit a low hook with a 4 if needed from under the trees. Way too much practice with that shot lately.

I do like hitting my 4 iron for 190-200 yard shots

I am pretty comfortable hitting my 5i, I just have to remind myself to not try to over swing.

My 4i is a forgiving hollow headed rocket launcher from a different OEM than my iron set. My fitter recommended the style change and fit it for me when he did my last iron set (included same shaft on 4i so it transitions easily). I still hit it pretty well but have been switching it out for the 4H more and more often. Which one depends mostly on the course I'm playing. The 4i is down to about 25% of the action this season.

Last edited:
Official answer: 5i. Confession: I still have a 4i in my bag even after I started using a 4 hybrid. I tend to go back and forth between them, but never in the same round. Having both of them in my bag puts my bag over the limit. So one of them is there each day just as a disinterested casual observer. If it's not that club's day, it basically just slumps down and doomscrolls Tiktok and complains about the weather during my round.

4-iron which is why it's in my bag. Once I lose comfort with that, I'll swap it out for a hybrid.

I have a driving 5 iron (New Level NLU-01). I need a thicc sole to feel comfortable.

This has changed for me as of recently, I've always struggled with 4i and 5i, but thought I could still hit the 6i, but consistency just hasn't been there so I'm going to abandon it and just go with 7i as my long iron, a driving style iron for the 4/5/6 slot, 3h, and then I'm actually abandoning my 3w and put a 2h in the bag for the top, tweaking the lofts a bit to reduce the gapping.

5i, but I still carry the 4i and pretend.

I go down to a 4 irons and mostly only comfortable with that off the tee and that is only sometimes. I sometimes am still a little shaky on my 5 iron but am comfortable hitting it for the most part.

4 iron

I play a couple sets. One is 5-pw the other 4-gw. I’m fine hitting the 4 iron in my Edel set. From my limited time hitting the Titleist T 350s Saturday I’d say the 4 iron in that set would be easy to hit.

5i for me unless you count utility as well. It’s my kind of 4i (21 degree).

4i of m'y Mizuno JPX 921 SEL iron set (4-5 irons are JPX Forged and 6-GW are JPX tour. Until recently, I was playing a set of Mizuno MP-30 and I was confident hitting the 3i.

Envoyé de mon moto g stylus en utilisant Tapatalk

Back