What is the magic to the ProV1?

I played Titleist clubs and balls are a junior at that time they were the go to company. But my recent experience with them did not bring back fuzzy memories or a smile to my face. The ball seemed to lack distance and spin, compared to my gamer now. There is tons of high quality balls out there for me which top these

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I have never understood the hype on prov1s. Sure, the are a decent ball, but so are a lot of other balls.
I almost resisted them in the past because of the hype, marketing, etc. I traded for some and have to admit it's a damn good ball. I know there are many that are also good - and I still love me some Bridgestone and Callaway golf balls - but the PV1 is the real deal too. Once I make my way through my current stash of balls I'd like to try the current PV1x.

I've never played a V1 or V1x before, I'm more of an e6/Duo guy. But I have 2 sleeves of the new V1x that were given to me, I'm going to bring some out today when I play a practice round at an executive course to see if I notice any differences as a 24 hdcp vs my normal gamers.

When the Pro v's were introduce around 1990 a big portion of the tour immediately started playing them...since the Pro's were testing them for some time...Many of the tour players were playing the Titleist Professional and Tour Balata....I played those also...But with the mass exodus on tour from the PRO. and TB. everyone took notice and the Pro V just took off...Even at the price back then [ which was expensive ] Titleist couldn't make enough...there were shortages all the time... everyone wanted to play the Pro V...Titleist still makes a ton of them but many other good balls have eaten into the Pro V sales.. There's far more balls for sale now....the Mfg's have designed balls to fit literally everyones game but there are still many out there that have to have ProV stamped on the ball..

I've been playing them on and off for a a long time...the reason is I won 25 doz. of them about 12 years ago... I'm down to a few dozen now....Even with the Pro V's being free I didn't play them all the time...Frankly I think there's many good balls in the $30 or under that are as good and better for players games....Anyway the Pro V is still a good ball but it's not for everyone...

Why do more players play them? Because they pay you to wear their logo and give out their balls for free at almost every professional and amateur tournament.

When you are on the skinny end of any pro tour anything free is good.

I hate to jump in here. And I skimmed, purposefully. I do see a difference between the ProV1 and most other premium balls, but it isn't all good. ProV1 is only the longest drive in dry conditions. The ball launches noticeably lower for me than others. In average to wet conditions, Wilson FG Tour has been one of the longest balls of the year for me, and several balls have far better carry distance than the ProV1. ProV1 still has the best spin into greens of any ball I've played, but in the end, that has little effect on my game until about the 30-50 yard range. Even then, that may just be a comfort thing of knowing how the ball will check on those first couple of bounces on such a short pitch shot.

The only other time I notice a large difference is in high wind. The ProV1, probably because it launches lower for me (or has a more penetrating flight might be a more accurate description) cuts through the wind far better, at least for me.

The ProV1 and ProV1x isn't for everybody (contrary to marketing), but it is certainly a great ball.

~Rock

I have a sleeve of ProV balls but have yet to open them as I am happy with the performance I see from the balls I already use. Yes, I will give them a try at some point to compare, but they will have to be considerably better for my game for me to even consider buying more of them based on how much more they cost over other balls

Titleist claims their ball is used on the tour 6 times more than the nearest competitor. And their ball wins a lot more often. This in itself says something, but the way the ball works for my game says everything....for me.

Not to me it doesn't, it is simple statistics - if you have 5 out of 6 people using a ProV and 1 person using another ball, then the ProV ball obviously has more chances to win than the other ball. Titleist can claim their ball is more popular and wins more often but the underlying reason behind this is because there are fewer people using other balls. I am going to stick my neck out here and say that if every ball had an equal share of use on the tour then Titleist would not be able to say that they had the 'most winning ball' on tour

At the end of the day, if it works for you then play it - if it doesn't, find something that does, and there are plenty of options for everyone out there

At the end of the day, if it works for you then play it - if it doesn't, find something that does, and there are plenty of options for everyone out there

That is the bottom line Doc, and yes they work best for me.

I went out and bought a sleeve of several different top balls, and for whatever reason the longest drives i have ever had were with the ProV1. I can't believe that this ball is just that much better than the others, so can anyone speculate as to the reason i play so much better with them?

Is it mental? More confident? Or could these balls just be perfect for my swing? Anyone else experience such a wide discrepency playing with them?

It's a high quality golf ball with proven success both on and off the tour. If you're having success with it, I say enjoy every second - whether it's mental or magical.

My biggest complaint with the ProV1x is the cover wear, but I think Titleist has improved that over the years. When they can match my experiences with the B330, I'll seriously consider a switch myself if the right deal is there.

I love Pro V1's. I play them about 50% of the time when I play. The other 50% of the time I play Nike RZN Black's or B330. The only thing I love about the Pro V1's over the other balls is that for me, I'm more consistent around the greens with them. Perhaps it's because I've played them for so long, but I just know how they are going to react for different shots. It's not to say that the Nike's or Bridgestone's don't perform well around the green, it's just that I'm not as consistent with those two balls compared to how I consistent I am with Pro V1's. Probably mostly mental, but either way you slice it the mental game is a part of golf.

I love Pro V1's. I play them about 50% of the time when I play. The other 50% of the time I play Nike RZN Black's or B330. The only thing I love about the Pro V1's over the other balls is that for me, I'm more consistent around the greens with them. Perhaps it's because I've played them for so long, but I just know how they are going to react for different shots. It's not to say that the Nike's or Bridgestone's don't perform well around the green, it's just that I'm not as consistent with those two balls compared to how I consistent I am with Pro V1's. Probably mostly mental, but either way you slice it the mental game is a part of golf.

Playing devils advocate here.....if you spent more time playing the Nike or B330 do you think that you would become more consistent with them? If you have played the ProV for so long then you will have learned how they react and by spending the same sort of time with the others you could gain the same knowledge of how they react too

It's not to say that the Nike's or Bridgestone's don't perform well around the green, it's just that I'm not as consistent with those two balls compared to how I consistent I am with Pro V1's. Probably mostly mental, but either way you slice it the mental game is a part of golf.

That's where I am at on this. For whatever reason I just play better with them. Probably more mental (which is really amazing), but my game is just a level better with them. I started playing them full-time the past month, basically because my game has improved enough that I am not losing balls so much. In fact, I had my first round last week without losing one. That was a Kodak moment. That helped me put them in the bag. Of course, during high risk situations I still tend to pull out the cheaper ones.

Playing devils advocate here.....if you spent more time playing the Nike or B330 do you think that you would become more consistent with them? If you have played the ProV for so long then you will have learned how they react and by spending the same sort of time with the others you could gain the same knowledge of how they react too

Yeah no doubt. The Nike and Bridgestone perform just fine around the green. Like I said, I've been playing Pro V1's since they were launched and I just know how they are going to react which is why I'm a lot more comfortable/consistent with them around the greens. Again, it's probably just a mental thing here and I'm not saying definitively that Pro V1's are better around the greens. I just know that I'm more comfortable with them around the greens.

I think that if you were to play any ball / club long enough you will develop a level of comfort with it in that you know what to expect, and by knowing what to expect, it has the potential to give you that confidence that you will play better, and therefore do

I am starting to feel this way now about my new irons and as each round was played I learnt more about what to expect from them which allowed me to be more confident in my club selection and has resulted in more consistent scores

Marketing. There is nothing special about the ProV1, other than the fact that Titleist is always telling us that its the #1 ball in golf.

There are a lot of people that choose a ball that performs for them around the greens...The putter and wedges are key...the ProV is very good at this....And it's good with the driver and irons...There may be some balls that are better at some of these points but at a all around ball that does everything good and some things better the Pro V is a very good ball...

Play the front 9 with a Pinnacle (or equivalent) ball then play the back nine with a Pro V1 ball, after your round you may have the answer to your own question.

Play the front 9 with a Pinnacle (or equivalent) ball then play the back nine with a Pro V1 ball, after your round you may have the answer to your own question.
That's like comparing apples to oranges or a Ford Focus to a Mercedes-Benz. Not a very good comparison at all. A better comparison would be to compare the proV1 to everyone else's premium ball and in doing so I doubt anyone would find much difference at all.

That's like comparing apples to oranges or a Ford Focus to a Mercedes-Benz. Not a very good comparison at all. A better comparison would be to compare the proV1 to everyone else's premium ball and in doing so I doubt anyone would find much difference at all.

OP is asking what is the "magic" with the Pro V golf ball, not the "magic" of Ford or MB automobiles.

OP is asking what is the "magic" with the Pro V golf ball, not the "magic" of Ford or MB automobiles.
OK and comparing a pinnacle golf ball to a ProV1 golf ball would make absolutely zero sense...so saying a 4 dollar golf ball is "magic" over a .50 cent golf is obvious but I don't believe that's what the OP wanted. Compare a ProV1 to a Bridgestone B330 or Callaway SR3 or Taylormade Lethal and it might make some more sense...

I have never bought Pro V1 balls, but find them periodically when looking for my off line ball. I do like the sound/feel off the putter and wedge. Not muted, a little 'clicky' I guess. But I don't put them into play off the tee.

Back