What is the release?

leftyrighty

Reaction score
Handicap
This is going to sound dumb,**but what move is the release? Unc*cking of the wrists? Forearm roll?

I've recently had a bout of hitting a straight slice out of no where. My usual miss is a hook and now I can't find a way to miss left. I only do this with my driver and woods.**

I had a little success with rolling the arms over but I feel this is very difficult to time right and might not be correct. So is the release really an unc*cking of the wrists with proper body rotation?

This is going to sound dumb,**but what move is the release? Unc*cking of the wrists? Forearm roll?

I've recently had a bout of hitting a straight slice out of no where. My usual miss is a hook and now I can't find a way to miss left. I only do this with my driver and woods.**

I had a little success with rolling the arms over but I feel this is very difficult to time right and might not be correct. So is the release really an unc*cking of the wrists with proper body rotation?

I'm sure someone can get you a better answer, and it's hard to be certain without video. However, if you're slicing it's almost certainly to do with your path being too far left, especially if the ball starts left or even straight. The release is just a reconciling of angles created in the backswing. You can hit a ball with a dead square face, 'hold off' your finish (not roll the toe at all) and if your path is further right than the face the ball will draw.

Assuming a right handed golfer.

What is the release?

For a perfectly scientific answer Google "golf swing coefficient of angular momentum". That'll answer your question without me having to type 5 paragraphs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a perfectly scientific answer Google "golf swing coefficient of angular momentum". That'll answer your question without me having to type 5 paragraphs.

Sounds like it would make my head hurt

The release is the returning of the club back to the address position with a squ are face. The club moving from square to toe turning inward. This fluid motion is considered the release. It occurs by having the right forearm turn over the left

The release is the returning of the club back to the address position with a squ are face. The club moving from square to toe turning inward. This fluid motion is considered the release. It occurs by having the right forearm turn over the left
I'm having trouble occasionally releasing the club with driver and 3W as well. Any good drills you recommend to get in the habit of making it happen naturally? I can't seem to "force" it to happen while practicing without creating other bad habits.

I'm having trouble occasionally releasing the club with driver and 3W as well. Any good drills you recommend to get in the habit of making it happen naturally? I can't seem to "force" it to happen while practicing without creating other bad habits.

I know you asked Freddie, but just wanted to offer the drills my instructor gave me.

1. Baseball swing drill with your club. Swing your club just like you would a baseball bat at a pitched ball. This will also help the over-the-top move.

2. Hockey/Split grip drill. Swing your club with your hands an inch or so apart much like a hockey player would swing a hockey stick. You can even hit balls with this drill.

I know you asked Freddie, but just wanted to offer the drills my instructor gave me.

1. Baseball swing drill with your club. Swing your club just like you would a baseball bat at a pitched ball.
2. Hockey/Split hand drill. Swing your club with your hands a few inches apart like a hockey player would swing a hockey stick. You can even hit balls with this drill.
Thanks! I'll try anything instead of giving myself blisters hitting 200 balls to make it happen haha. I tried something where I grip the club and put it between my middle and index finger on my right hand but I want to have a multitude of drills to try and get the release locked in. I'll give these two a try this week.

Thanks! I'll try anything instead of giving myself blisters hitting 200 balls to make it happen haha. I tried something where I grip the club and put it between my middle and index finger on my right hand but I want to have a multitude of drills to try and get the release locked in. I'll give these two a try this week.

No problem. I updated with a couple videos.

Check your grip pressure and your grip itself.

Check your grip pressure and your grip itself.
I did check that but it doesn't seem to affect any of my irons or wedges. I use a strong grip, very much in my fingers and not in my palms. I TRY to relieve any tension in my forearms before starting the backswing but I'll continue to be conscious of it.

I'm working with a pro and when he was stumped on my driver we went on trackman with a fitter and they were able to confirm I'm leaving the face open for some reason with driver and not releasing the clubhead at all. I've been working on it and it seems to be getting better but I'm better if I have drills to try and lock something in haha.

Anyway I have a couple of drills to try so I'll stop hijacking this thread. Thanks guys.

I did check that but it doesn't seem to affect any of my irons or wedges. I use a strong grip, very much in my fingers and not in my palms. I TRY to relieve any tension in my forearms before starting the backswing but I'll continue to be conscious of it.

I'm working with a pro and when he was stumped on my driver we went on trackman with a fitter and they were able to confirm I'm leaving the face open for some reason with driver and not releasing the clubhead at all. I've been working on it and it seems to be getting better but I'm better if I have drills to try and lock something in haha.

Anyway I have a couple of drills to try so I'll stop hijacking this thread. Thanks guys.
Place the butt of the club in your solarplex. Grip down on the club til your arms are straight. Take your stance and swing the arms to the top. As you swing down, return the ckub to your solar plex and swing through. What we are looking for is the toe pointing to the sky at each hip but more important is to return the club to the solar plex.

Try to bury the knuckles of the left hand into the turf. This will get you hitting down and through.

What do u mean bury the knuckles?

supination. turn the back of the left hand down so the knuckles are facing the ground. at least that's my understanding.

What do u mean bury the knuckles?

A square club face has th back of the left hand facing the target. A club that I'd releasing down the line, meaning the toe of the club is beginning to shut, has the knuckles of the left beginning to turn down toward the ground. The feeling of burying the knuckles of the left hand into the turf will get you to release the club.

I'm new here so if I'm out of line....

That's a pretty flip and incorrect answer to a serious question posted by an honest golfer who hasn't spent their life on golf forums.

FWIW the correct term per Jorgensen in The Physics of Golf 2nd Edition is Conservation of Angular Momentum. There is no coefficient involved.

To the OP, I was once told in a lesson that the release is the rolling of the right forearm over the left.

If you are suddenly slicing the ball, your clubface is open to the path of the swing. While you mentioned slicing the ball, can you share where it is starting?

I'm new here so if I'm out of line....

That's a pretty flip and incorrect answer to a serious question posted by an honest golfer who hasn't spent their life on golf forums.

FWIW the correct term per Jorgensen in The Physics of Golf 2nd Edition is Conservation of Angular Momentum. There is no coefficient involved.

To the OP, I was once told in a lesson that the release is the rolling of the right forearm over the left.

If you are suddenly slicing the ball, your clubface is open to the path of the swing. While you mentioned slicing the ball, can you share where it is starting?

To be fair, that answer you quoted is over a year old.

Back