What is the Secret of Golf?

Personally find a local qualified pro preferably the best you can find.Listen, take notes and ask a lot of questions.Than go out and work your tail off

Don't take it too seriously and practice with a purpose.

The secret is in your head. Whatever you want the game to be, it is. You can make it fun or hard, it's all up to you.

I think one of the main things to recognize is that the game can not be perfected. I always think I'm much better than I really am on the course. When I get off the course, reality sets in.

I don't get a chance to play golf during the week enough to be good.

Maybe the correct answer should be, when anybody finds the secret, please let me know. Ha

Last edited:
Having fun and not taking yourself too seriously.

So what's the secret to back to 14 and start?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Lol, I was joking of course but starting golf or playing more as a teenager seems to be an almost universal wish I here from my current golf buddies, 95% of whom didn't take up the game seriously until they were in their 20's or 30's. I was fortunate to get the golf bug when I was 12 or 13 and give up baseball immediately so I could spend 35+ hours each week on the golf course. The game comes easily and quickly when you are a teenager playing and practicing nearly every day.

Lol, I was joking of course but starting golf or playing more as a teenager seems to be an almost universal wish I here from my current golf buddies, 95% of whom didn't take up the game seriously until they were in their 20's or 30's. I was fortunate to get the golf bug when I was 12 or 13 and give up baseball immediately so I could spend 35+ hours each week on the golf course. The game comes easily and quickly when you are a teenager playing and practicing nearly every day.
Agree, started when I was 13. Back then it wasn't even cool to be on the golf team. So that's way back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Be the ball ...
5e464209ee0b2b8c095e7f9cf1bb8577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Being able to play a bunch! Those who don't have great swings can usually score just for the simple fact that they play a lot. It's almost impossible to get better at this game if you can't get out and play.

Being able to play a bunch! Those who don't have great swings can usually score just for the simple fact that they play a lot. It's almost impossible to get better at this game if you can't get out and play.

When you consider Hogans line that he dug his swing out of the ground the above comment makes sense..At least to me.

There are million ways to play. Everyone has different swings. Never saw same swing twice. Just find what works for you. I am far from textbook but found my own way.

Confidence in your ability, including the ability to execute properly when under intense pressure...

My friend who started golf just as I quit for ten years worked on his game without any lessons and now that I'm back it's still a struggle for him but I've worked with him and he's made great strides. It was the funniest thing though one round. He crushed a drive like never before and he turns to me in all seriousness and says "Paul I think I get now. If you aim good and if you swing good the ball will go good" as though that was the heaviest thing he's ever uttered. The look on my face must have been incredulous so we both burst out laughing at his ridiculous piece of advice. So from then on our helpful advice to each other has been:

"If you aim good and if you swing good the ball will go good"

It's never let us down.

For me personally the key is the backswing. I feel if I get that right, the rest will unfold as it should be. Right now my key thought is to turn my shoulders fully so it's easier for my arms to drop inside and work with my body.

I guess it depends on how a person defines golf. But I think there are a few keys to playing at a 10 or better handicap.

1. START YOUNG!!!

2. Have a sense of aggression. Or a desire to propel one's energy outward toward an external object or goal. This isn't a negative trait, it's the desire that drives people to build things and climb mountains or give high levels of their energy to a cause. I don't think timidity and good golf can coexist.

3. The ability to maintain a sense of balance while exerting that energy. Both mentally and physically.

4. A relaxed confidence in yourself and the ability to determine whether a failure can be learned from or not. If not, let it go and try again. <---- My personal roadblock.

5. The ability to see the result that you want in your mind before you take the club back. If you can't see an image in your mind, there is no way to draw one with whatever tool you are drawing it with.

6. An ability to totally focus on the task at hand, almost down to which dimple the club will be hitting at impact.

Of course there are mechanics that may or may not make one a better golfer, but in my opinion the foundation of solid golf begins with the things I listed above.

The key for me is an alignment aid. I have a decent swing, but when I screw with it slightly, I tend to get wrapped around the axle. I start to correct my misses with an alignment tool, rather than guessing at what I'm doing wrong. They have also enabled me to be stone-cold on putts within 5 feet. Whether I'm saving par/bogey or draining a birdie putt from a close approach shot (once or twice a year...) there are no nerves.

Back