What is your first indication that you have joined the group from hell?

smokers and guys who take the round too seriously

and sorry but i don't care for music 🤷‍♂️

The stench of brimstone.

Many signs can alert one to possible hell but I try to keep an open mind and let the round play out. I once experienced a hole from hell that seemed like a full round. While on a Florida golf trip I walked on a course and was told in the shop that there was a city workers outing ahead of me. The gentleman said there were two groups of 3 each and they should be on 2 by the time I got to the tee. It turned out there were 6 players that had morphed into a single group halfway down the first hole (a par 5 with water, some wetter areas, and the usual palmettos. This group had 6 or 8 carts, some with spectators, and liberal amounts of alcohol that it seemed some had started consuming well prior to their tee time. After watching and waiting for quite some time the group waved me through so I joined the fray. What I remember most was the flurry of activity with carts driving randomly, getting stuck in wet/muddy areas, and even one spectator driving to close to a palmetto and getting poked in the arm. As I was playing through they suggested I just join them, which I continued to decline as I encouraged then to pick up the pace. I prepared to hit my approach to the green and an angry marshal came up to me and gave me all sorts of hell for allowing "my" group to be so out of control. Trying to explain was not working so I herded the cats as best I could to at least get near the green. I then made a quick exit to the second tee. I still wonder what sights I would have seen had I stayed.

Jorts

I love it when guys play the wrong tees. Then when you keep out driving the morons by an easy 75 yards, they say it's because you were playing more forward tees. Yep that 20 yard head start helped you hit it 75 yards past them! The fact that they couldn't hit the ball 200 downhill with a tailwind has nothing to do with it.....

Iron headcovers.
Add to that a 30-second pre-shot routine once they chose a club after checking their golf app on their phone and also shooting the yardage with their rangefinder. It happened to me once this summer. He perpetrator(I can't call hiim a golfer) also took 2 phone calls on the first 3 holes, one of which held us up on the tee box for a minute. I was 100 yards down the fairway before he teed off. :)

If they show up drunk to the 1st tee.
Someone who Dresses like a pro then takes 10+ practice swings on the first tee.
People who insist on play the Blues or Blacks but can't break 90 on a good day.

When one of the guys starts screaming at the group on the green in front of us, asking if they're taking so long to read the putts because the winner gets to sleep with the loser's wife.

Yes, this happened. No, he did not know them. I bailed around hole 13.

If they show up drunk to the 1st tee.
Someone who Dresses like a pro then takes 10+ practice swings on the first tee.
People who insist on play the Blues or Blacks but can't break 90 on a good day.
tmp.gif

Look, that transfusion wasn’t supposed to be a double. It surprised me too, but it’ll be fine in like 2 holes.

A few others are the angry club throwing golfers, and golfers playing the tips who can't clear the hazards causing excruciating slow play.

When players can't wait to run round the course and be finished before the first ball has been struck

When you meet up at 7:00 for an 8:00 tee time and some of the group are already in the cooler.

Back