What is your philosophy when it comes to steak?

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We’ve all heard of those restaurants that don’t steak sauce or *gasp* ketchup because they believe a good steak doesn’t need to be dressed up with anything. Do you believe that?

I love a nice Demi glacé or A1 sauce as much as the next guy but nothing beats a perfectly cooked steak with just enough flavor to make the sauce unnecessary.

If the steak is cooked and seasoned right there should be no sauce needed...I may allow one exception to that and its zip sauce. Stuff is amazing.

Eat em however you want, and if I'm paying money for you to cook me one, should be able to do that. That said, no sauce for me, though I do like more seasoning that just salt and pepper.

Sauce it if you want, but you've got to taste it first without the sauce.

If the question is steak, the answer is yes.

That is my philosophy..

If the steak is cooked and seasoned right there should be no sauce needed...I may allow one exception to that and its zip sauce. Stuff is amazing.
Is this zip sauce something available in a grocery store?

Steak need zero sauce

Something else to check out now! 👍

For me, a steak should be cooked medium rare and if seasoned correctly, no sauce needed.

Ultimately you like what you like though!

Is this zip sauce something available in a grocery store?
I do believe they sell a bottle in the store, you mix it with melted butter and its delicious

I do believe they sell a bottle in the store, you mix it with melted butter and its delicious
I’m going to have to try that!

I dont judge, eat how you want. Imho, a good steak only needs a little salt and that's it. Everyone has different tastes. If you like shoe then by all means cook it well done. Me, i will go medium rare.

At home, salt and pepper on the steak with a garlic, thyme, Worcestershire and butter marinade.

Out, I generally don't add anything if the steak is cooked properly and has good flavor. If it doesn't have the flavor, I'll add salt if it needs that or order some bernaise for dipping.

Salt and pepper on the steak with a garlic, thyme, Worcestershire and butter marinade.
If you cook it with garlic do you use a garlic powder or actual cloves? I’m cooking up some sirloins and in the past I’ve had a tough time getting the garlic flavor with the cloves. Wasn’t sure if using powder was proper or any better

I was taught you don't salt your food before you taste it. It is insulting to the cook to do so.
I was taught that too, and think it's absurd. I'm definitely not offended when people prefer things saltier than me.

people waste their money on all sorts of things.

If you want an expensive dry overcooked steak that tastes like shoe leather and ketchup, more power to ya.

Its usually “clutch my pearls“ when someone asks for steak sauce or ketchup. However, I’ve noticed that many high end steak houses like Prime in Las Vegas always serve the steak with some sort of sauce/reduction. For instance, Prime gave me 3 dipping sauces - SOY RICE WINE | BÉARNAISE | PEPPERCORN. It confuses me because I always believed a good steak stands on its own, yet these fancy restaurants have sauces. So what makes a peppercorn sauce at the Bellagio so superior to A1 at ponderosa?

Enjoy steak however you like it!

I was taught that too, and think it's absurd. I'm definitely not offended when people prefer things saltier than me.
I don't have a problem if you like things salter. But how do you know ow how salty something is before you even taste it?

I don't have a problem if you like things salter. But how do you know ow how salty something is before you even taste it?
That's fair

Still think it's a strange thing to get worked up about, but I've definitely seen it. I'll never understand how steak consumption has gotten on the same level as politics and religion, but it has. I've read this same thread several places, and it's serious business! 😂

If you cook it with garlic do you use a garlic powder or actual cloves? I’m cooking up some sirloins and in the past I’ve had a tough time getting the garlic flavor with the cloves. Wasn’t sure if using powder was proper or any better
I grate it or used minced when I have at least a half hour to marinate the steak (never more than an hour). You can use garlic powder with the salt and pepper but no matter what you do you're not going to get the garlic flavor deep into the meat. Using a vacuum sealer will help a little.

If the steak is seasoned and cooked right, no sauce necessary. There are times that I might crave a specific sauce, but if I'm craving steak, I'm hoping that sauce isn't necessary.

Back