What should the penalty be for slow play?

Maybe eh?

You want the kid to have a good time and everything, but there’s also learned respect to your group and others who are on the course.

What tees was the group playing from?

just under 6k

There should be no penalty for slow play, anymore than there should be a penalty for playing to fast.

Everyone is entitled to their own pace of play. They paid their fees the same as everyone else.

If a course wants to levy penalties for slow play, I suspect it would be a short lived experiment due to loss of business.

I don't care for slow play anymore than anyone else i just deal with it with my preshot routine. I don't blame my poor play on others.

Fact of the matter is that slow play is just another part of golf. Nothing can be done about it. Not without some sort of discrimination being involved.

They should keep up with the group in front of them of they teed off 7 or 8 minutes behind them. If they fall a full whole behind the Marshall should have them pick up and advance to the hole behind the group. Any hole skipped should be carded as a triple bogey. Slow play is killing golf and there is no excuse for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There should absolutely be a penalty for slow play - on public courses much more so than with the pros, IMO. The pros don't impact anybody but themselves and they can handle it in house as they see fit - they have plenty of officials, cameras and technology to monitor and correct it. I really don't care if the pros play in 3 ½ hours or 5 hours, doesn't affect me a bit. Slow players on public courses do affect us, and some of them are far more egregious than the pros about it. The slowest player on Tour would look like a jackrabbit compared to some of the slugs we amateur/public golfers end up playing behind.

Courses should have marshals, and they shouldn't be afraid to enforce slow play. They'd probably draw more business if word got out that slow play wasn't tolerated there and you wouldn't have to deal with 5 hour rounds. Advise people at check-in that pace of play is strictly enforced. Fall behind once, you're warned and told to get back on pace. If you fail to do so, second offense is you're told to pick up and skip however many holes are necessary to get caught up to your place on the course. Third time, your day is over. No rain check, no refund, see you next time and hopefully you've learned your lesson.

But one of them is courses mandated and in the rules of golf. There is no penalty or rule being broken for fast play.
I know that. I wasn't implying there was.

My point was an article I read last year about a group complaining about slow play. The marshal checked on the group in front of the complainers. He found that the group in front was playing their round at a pace under 4 hours.

The marshal went back to the complainers, and informed there was nothing he could do. That the complainers were basically playing too fast.

I would be hard pressed to believe this was an isolated issue.

I realize there are rules against slow play, but I also believe most courses will not enforce that particular rule, due to possible lost revenue.

I play 90% of my golf on mon-thurs. I hardly ever see any slow play. Weekend, and holiday golfers have to adjust to more golfers on the course. More golfers equal more, different paces of play. Different paces of play equal slower rounds. That's just way it is on those crowded days.

If any group turns the front in more than 1:45 they are playing too slow.

They should keep up with the group in front of them of they teed off 7 or 8 minutes behind them. If they fall a full whole behind the Marshall should have them pick up and advance to the hole behind the group. Any hole skipped should be carded as a triple bogey. Slow play is killing golf and there is no excuse for it.

I tend to agree with most of your post. Not the part of slow play killing golf however. 111QIt probably has a negative impact, but killing the game I don't buy into.

The costs involved in playing golf is more harmful to the game than pace of play issues in my opinion..

I tend to agree with most of your post. Not the part of slow play killing golf however. 111QIt probably has a negative impact, but killing the game I don't buy into.

The costs involved in playing golf is more harmful to the game than pace of play issues in my opinion..

Depending on the day, I can play for $20-$35. If I have to wait on every shot I’m going to play less. Played behind a 5 some, a 4 some, and 3 some today. 3:42. It can and should be managed by a course martial if necessary.

I don't play many private courses, but when I did, slow play was never an issue.

it was at the club i joined (and quit) last year. jam packed tee sheets. guys going out on five or sixsomes. people jumping your time, then making no effort to speed up. i quit within like 6 months.

it was at the club i joined (and quit) last year. jam packed tee sheets. guys going out on five or sixsomes. people jumping your time, then making no effort to speed up. i quit within like 6 months.
2020 was a different animal. I don’t think the pace of rounds played will stay the same after the Pandemic. It sucks they didn’t care, tho.

I know that. I wasn't implying there was.

My point was an article I read last year about a group complaining about slow play. The marshal checked on the group in front of the complainers. He found that the group in front was playing their round at a pace under 4 hours.

The marshal went back to the complainers, and informed there was nothing he could do. That the complainers were basically playing too fast.

I would be hard pressed to believe this was an isolated issue.

I realize there are rules against slow play, but I also believe most courses will not enforce that particular rule, due to possible lost revenue.

I play 90% of my golf on mon-thurs. I hardly ever see any slow play. Weekend, and holiday golfers have to adjust to more golfers on the course. More golfers equal more, different paces of play. Different paces of play equal slower rounds. That's just way it is on those crowded days.

Yup. I know if I book a round at 10am on a Thursday I expect to play in no more than 4 hours, probably closer to 3. If it’s not I’m likely to either play through or just skip and come back.

A 10am Saturday round and 4 hours would be nice and I don’t get too grumpy about it until it approaches 5 hours. At that point it’s just too damn long even though it’s a rare day when I have a damn thing better to do anymore. I can’t (golf at all?) play that slow. If I’m hitting 5-10 minutes every shot I can’t get any timing going. I have a lot of moving parts in my swing. If I get in a groove I’m good to go. I can’t do that thinking about a shot for 8:30.

I’ve mostly learned to accept slow play. As long as groups don’t fall way behind the pace we just take a little longer on the greens and live with it. I would like to see courses enforce a 4 hr pace of play with Marshall’s and skipped holes for non-compliance. I would pay more on my green fee and tip Marshall’s for it. We had a group in front of us 2 weeks ago fall 3 holes behind breaking all kinds of etiquette. My buddy very politely mentioned they were 3 holes behind and asked if they could pick it up. The guys erupted into a profanity laced tirade and clearly wanted to fight. Guys should never be allowed back.

For pros I would like so see stricter enforcement. One warning before penalty strokes. Don’t care nearly as much about the pros as i hardly notice it the way they broadcast but some of the guys can get pretty hard to watch and it clearly effects the guys who are following the pace rules.

My regular Saturday group has two guys who can barely walk, think Fred G Sanford slow. I try to speed things up but rarely happens. Of course who do you think they blame?

While the group is on the green, you sneak up on them, take their cart and they walk home from there!

Back