Never thought much about it. There were times when I couldn't find my tee after my shot and others I'd pick mine up. 🤷‍♂️ So... I'm fixing ball marks on greens that aren't mine, picking up trash from other golfer, and now their broken tees? Man, it'd be nice if I could get a discount for that. But it's exercise I guess and helps the course stay clean as y'all mention not to mention saving the mowers.

Yes I get that , the tees can breakdown especially if they are timber , and or you can put them in sand bucket etc …
Putting them in the sand bucket if there is one, assuming it’s meant to be used while filling divots, would just cause the next person problems while trying to fill their divot, no?

Or if you worked at my club, we would have to pick up all the tees before we could mow them. Otherwise they end up screwing up the blades & the mow 'track' ... you can see where it missed. I had a picky Superintendent. ;)

Edit ... I look for broken tees on par 3's. If I can't find one, I break one myself. I only use broken tees on par 3's
Did they also go around and have you pick up every stick that had fallen? I guess i get it if there are potentially plastic tees, but if your superintendent was that picky, just ban plastic tees and move on.

As the op , was more specifically around the LPGA and PGA and other tours ,,,
Players , throwing the tees they use post shot …

Equally though the greater golf population mimicks that . And also
Leaves tees on tee grounds .

Putting them in the sand bucket if there is one, assuming it’s meant to be used while filling divots, would just cause the next person problems while trying to fill their divot, no?
No just as de facto storage , I don’t use sand , but carry bucket it’s rare I take divot . Just as safe way to carry them
Then dispose of post round as you return sand bucket .

Did they also go around and have you pick up every stick that had fallen? I guess i get it if there are potentially plastic tees, but if your superintendent was that picky, just ban plastic tees and move on.
Any debris that was on the tee box. Think about it .. you have to remove the tee markers ahead of time, so why not the tees that are around them? Grant it, there were never that many that it took very long. Only the obvious ones that can be seen with the naked eye.
The members had large sticks up their a***s, so telling them they had to use particular tees would have gone over like a lead balloon ;) :ROFLMAO:

Years ago there were biodegradable tees. Wonder why those went away?

Years ago there were biodegradable tees. Wonder why those went away?
because they biodegraded? Sorry, had to. you really teed that up.

Sad Koala GIF

I hadn’t really thought about it but I do agree you should try to pick the tee up and put it by the tee marker. We put little baskets next to a tee marker to put broken tees in on par 3s. It keeps things neat and gives you a spot to grab an extra tee.

One thing I never understand is people that don’t pick up tees that aren’t broken. Yesterday I started the round with two tees in my pocket and finished with at least 10 and I put a few in my bag at some point because my pocket had too much crap in it. I don’t get why people buy tees. Almost every time I play I leave the course with more tees than I started the round with.
THIS! ^^^^^^ I can't remember the last time I bought tees. Guys (I'm assuming), just hit and leave the tees in the ground. Before hitting I will look all over the tee for what my main golf buddy calls "Gary's gold"! He likes the super long tees and if I find one of those, I give it to him. A few years back I played in a local tournament in which the last round was played at a really nice private club. I didn't make the cut, but the organizer called me to ask if I would be a scorer for one of the teams in the scramble part of the deal. I said sure. On the first and tenth tees they had boxes that contained scorecards, pencils, ball markers, ball mark repair tools, and tees! At the conclusion of the round I drove straight to my vehicle, since I had to look like I was carrying a couple of baby porcupines in my pockets!

What kind of confuses me is watching a high ranking pro tee off, a guy that you know is a multi-millionaire, and watch him search around like he's hunting for buried treasure trying to find the tee he just used! 🤷‍♂️

According to this article, it is a nuisance to this superintendent and players should pick up their broken tees. Also, the article states that the superintendent does not like plastic tees because they are not biodegradable and hard on the landscape equipment. Legitimate concern. However, plastic tees break much less, so less waste. I only break maybe one or two at the most during a round. With wood tees, I'm breaking most of them on every hole, so you go through a ton of tees and more waste. It is just another debatable subject. I do like the broken tees on par 3s because I don't like using full tees with irons. Lol.

Last edited:
I’m guessing it could be a issue for sure …I’ve just never given any thought good/bad or indifferent to it, but I will tell you this much, I love it on regular tracks I play on cause I go around and pick up the broken tees and to be honest it’s been years since I needed to use any of my tees on Par 3’s seeing its not teed up high cause I use the broken left behind tees as you have made mention of…I’ve collected so many over the yrs

Watching PGA ( insert here any other tour relevant ) , Player tees off ,
Picks tee out or from between markers and throws it on grass …..
Why ?
There’s a bin next to tee
Where you get free cold drinks from ?

Just appears lazy , and left for someone else to pick up your rubbish , and l would imagine cut the tee ground and the mowers not like it either …..

Next we will have every other golfer doing the same ( yes l saw , half a dozen tees strewn around the tee , while waiting to hit off , yesterday )

Just lazy

Rant over 👍
This is just like the pro baseball player dugouts. They take a sip of water and throw the cup on the ground 5 feet from a trash can.

This is just like the pro baseball player dugouts. They take a sip of water and throw the cup on the ground 5 feet from a trash can.

Not being an American or watching the Pro Bowl , but I do get the same result applies . Just laziness . 😁

@Hitsnmisses you might find this article of interest:

@Hitsnmisses you might find this article of interest:

Thanks , read article a survey done . 👍😁

Back