Hitsnmisses

Reaction score
Handicap
Watching PGA ( insert here any other tour relevant ) , Player tees off ,
Picks tee out or from between markers and throws it on grass …..
Why ?
There’s a bin next to tee
Where you get free cold drinks from ?

Just appears lazy , and left for someone else to pick up your rubbish , and l would imagine cut the tee ground and the mowers not like it either …..

Next we will have every other golfer doing the same ( yes l saw , half a dozen tees strewn around the tee , while waiting to hit off , yesterday )

Just lazy

Rant over 👍

Watching PGA ( insert here any other tour relevant ) , Player tees off ,
Picks tee out or from between markers and throws it on grass …..
Why ?
There’s a bin next to tee
Where you get free cold drinks from ?

Just appears lazy , and left for someone else to pick up your rubbish , and l would imagine cut the tee ground and the mowers not like it either …..

Next we will have every other golfer doing the same ( yes l saw , half a dozen tees strewn around the tee , while waiting to hit off , yesterday )

Just lazy

Rant over 👍
Agreed. If you can pick up the tee, surely you can throw it in the bin.

At the Australian Open, I have seen the volunteer marshals collect tees, particularly on the par 3s, and create a pile on the edge of the tee box for other players to use whilst also clearing the tee box.

On a related note, at The Open Championship at TOC in 2010, I watched Kevin Na tee off on the 12th or 13th and leave a broken tee in the ground. His playing partner was really p'd off at the lack of etiquette and let him know. I have seen a broken tee go through the sole of a golf shoe and it was not a pretty sight.

You know what really grinds my wedges?

Random interruptions during the coverage instead of showing shots.

Definitely an interesting take, can’t say I’ve ever taken the time to give it any thought haha

Agreed. If you can pick up the tee, surely you can throw it in the bin.

At the Australian Open, I have seen the volunteer marshals collect tees, particularly on the par 3s, and create a pile on the edge of the tee box for other players to use whilst also clearing the tee box.

On a related note, at The Open Championship at TOC in 2010, I watched Kevin Na tee off on the 12th or 13th and leave a broken tee in the ground. His playing partner was really p'd off at the lack of etiquette and let him know. I have seen a broken tee go through the sole of a golf shoe and it was not a pretty sight.

I was going to mention that on par 3's I like when golfers leave broken tees for irons.

I hadn’t really thought about it but I do agree you should try to pick the tee up and put it by the tee marker. We put little baskets next to a tee marker to put broken tees in on par 3s. It keeps things neat and gives you a spot to grab an extra tee.

One thing I never understand is people that don’t pick up tees that aren’t broken. Yesterday I started the round with two tees in my pocket and finished with at least 10 and I put a few in my bag at some point because my pocket had too much crap in it. I don’t get why people buy tees. Almost every time I play I leave the course with more tees than I started the round with.

What if there is no bin?

What if there is no bin?
Our club asked us to throw them into the tall grass. Then they don't have to be cleared from the tee box before the reel mowers do their work.

Most courses around here don't have any place to put broken tees. I don't collect them on par 4s or 5s but I do on par 3s, and pile them next to a marker.

I don't buy tees either, that last time I did they were THP tees, probably five years ago. I pick them up at courses. However, the only tees I "hunt" on a course are the short par 3 tees, and I take it as a victory when I find those LOL

Our club asked us to throw them into the tall grass. Then they don't have to be cleared from the tee box before the reel mowers do their work.
Yea that’s kinda what I’m getting at. Plenty of places that’s the protocol which goes against the OP

Put it in your pocket?
Unbroken absolutely.
Broken, right next to tee marker that way it’s not the wrong choice. The grounds crew can decide what to do with them as their preference.

I hear you, and for me it's those who maybe did not have the outcome they wanted and stomp them in the ground on par 3's. For the grass and sod to grow over. Then someone like me who takes a divot comes along and happens to have the leading edge of the club hammer right into the buried tee

A broken tee? And get stabbed?
I like to live life dangerously. Put it in the pocket if there is no where else to put it, then throw it away.

That is pretty low on the list of sky punching for me.

Or if you worked at my club, we would have to pick up all the tees before we could mow them. Otherwise they end up screwing up the blades & the mow 'track' ... you can see where it missed. I had a picky Superintendent. ;)

Edit ... I look for broken tees on par 3's. If I can't find one, I break one myself. I only use broken tees on par 3's

GIF by SundanceTV

Often when I break a tee on a par 3 I manage to just clip a small part of the tee cup off
And not notice it till I can't get a ball to sit on the tee at the next hole.

I have been told the same many years ago. And to this day I flick the broken tee into the tall stuff off the tee box. First mower that passes over it turns it into splinters and it's gone.

I'm not sure I get this take

Yea that’s kinda what I’m getting at. Plenty of places that’s the protocol which goes against the OP
Yes I get that , the tees can breakdown especially if they are timber , and or you can put them in sand bucket etc …

Back