What type of grass do you prefer?

Play pretty well all season long on Bermuda so would call it preferred but switching to Bermuda not my favourite but probably just because I rarely play unless traveling south.

Grew up playing Bermuda in Florida. I had the reverse adjustment for some the first times I played
Rye or bent. t

Now, I don't care as long as it's green, in decent shape, and the putts roll true.

Greens? Bent.

Everywhere else? Bermuda. Because it destroys the souls of those not used to playing on it :ROFLMAO:

It's been a long time since I was on Bermuda grass. Heading out to SC in 3 weeks so I'll see if I like that type of grass.... So my answer green grass! I do like the fact that there is conversation about the different grass types and how they interact with clubs and the ball.

Green.:D

Learned on Bermuda and still play on it a lot so I'm OK with it. But I prefer Zoysia fairways and Bent greens if given the option.

Last edited:
Zoysia for fairways and bent for greens. I’m getting better on bermuda greens but I need more time on them.

Bent grass fairways and greens for me please.

Bent grass fairways and greens for me please.

And as you know, some of the private courses around here have recently spent big bucks going to all bent grass and getting rid of their poa annua after all the winter kill a couple of years ago. Some of them were shut down for half the summer.

And as you know, some of the private courses around here have recently spent big bucks going to all bent grass and getting rid of their poa annua after all the winter kill a couple of years ago. Some of them were shut down for half the summer.

I hope it works out for those clubs! Winter kill is a BWord. Hopefully they see the short term pains for long term gains.

As someone who has played 99% of his golf on Bermuda I like it. I love bent greens though. But those are few and far between here in Dallas due to the heat. My club had bent years ago but had a main water line break and they couldn’t water them for a day and a half in August. And that is all it took to kill them. We now have Tifdwarf Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well maintained ultradwarf bermuda greens are amazing. Bent however is for the purist. Love bent fairways as well but zoysia is pretty great too.

Somebody once told me that once poa invades a green, you either need to redo the green or just let it take over. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

Somebody once told me that once poa invades a green, you either need to redo the green or just let it take over. Don’t know if that’s true or not.

Yep. It's a high maintenance grass that also is very susceptible to winter kill if it gets ice on it or if we have a winter with lower snowfall and the ground is exposed. Our greenskeeper actually covers all the greens with tarps each fall and we never have a problem.

Back