What would a PGA pro shoot on a "goat track" course?

The goat tracks around here are in such condition that I wouldn't even let my goat graze there. Greens are nigh-unputtable and I"m sure that would take away a large part of a pros advantage.

Probably low 60's. Anthony Kim played my home course once years ago before the tour and the injuries and put up a 63. And according to my buddy who caddied for him, he had an off day haha
FWIW my home course is a 70.3/133

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My home course is far from a goat track. It's a Robert Trent Jones Jr. design and has hosted numerous U.S. Open qualifiers including the Women's US Open qualifier this year. It also hosted a Senior event from 1991 to 2001 and the winning score for 3 rounds was normally -17 to -21. At a goat track I'd say a normal pro on an average day would shoot in the low sixties if he could stay interested.

I would love to play along side them just to see the difference between out games, the course closest to my house mazes out just shy of 6000 yards so I like their chances of going low. It is a par 70 but all but two of the par fours are pretty much drivable to them so that would help, but as always you have to be able to get the ball in the hole.

I would love to play along side them just to see the difference between out games, the course closest to my house mazes out just shy of 6000 yards so I like their chances of going low. It is a par 70 but all but two of the par fours are pretty much drivable to them so that would help, but as always you have to be able to get the ball in the hole.

In my 20's I caddied for a couple PGA Tour guys a couple of times at a Tom Lehman charity event at Minneapolis Golf Club. At the time I was a +2.5 index and my long game was close but my short game sucked compared to theirs.

I was talking to a friend of mine on Saturday who is the head greenskeeper at a local Country Club.
Jason Gore, who is a local, shot a 62 or 64 at their course....but he also shot a 77 there (FYI: he also said he's a great guy).

I've played it once: the greens are really hard to read. In many cases the breaks are opposite of what you see due to a 'Canyon Effect'.

But, at the course that I played most often last yr, I'd say they would be high 50's to low 60's every time they were on; and occasionally if they were really off their game, in the mid to low 60's.
My personal best there is an 83.
Maybe add a couple strokes if they booze it up and smoke a stogie while they play.

I have wondered about this many times (course on the AF base here), and if the greens were in really good shape, which they are on occasion, I think a top-level pro would shoot about a 60-62 pretty easily.
The first and second par 5s would be like driver-PW for them. There are several par 4s reachable with 3Ws for pros. And two of the par 4s are only like 270 so that's like a dang 3 iron. But even in their very best condition, those greens only roll about a 9.

With a little local knowledge and greens in tournament condition, I would be surprised if a touring pro shot any higher than 66 on my home track assuming it was a semi serious round. 1st, 4th, 10th, & 16th holes all would be drivable par 4's assuming decent wind conditions. 9th & 18th would be eagle holes as reachable par 5's in 2, and the longest guys like could threaten the 3rd and 15th in two as well. The only defense the course would have is elevation change and sloped greens, but as long as stayed below the hole on approaches, they would tear it up.

At my home course, it's like having a large gravel parking lot, with sheets of plywood every now and then.

Throw in some weeds here and there and you have it.

Not really that bad, but not good.

The other day I hit a nice drive 260 yards. It was in the middle of the fairway. It took 5 of us about 3 or 4 minutes to find it. It was under clover in a hole.

Also, the yardage stakes, etc are way off.

I would guess the best pros today would shoot 63-65.

Not because of course difficulty, because of lack of preparation and course conditions.

Jack

have to think a couple of things come into play here - is the pro being followed by a gallery of people who are expecting him to blow the course up? that kind of pressure isn't good for anyone. And is he taking it seriously or just hitting some balls? and is he playing the course for the first time - you always play a course better the second time.

but in general, the length these guys bring and the precision with their short game means I think they'd just wreck it. low 60s. really trying, course in decent shape, having a good day and hitting from the whites ... oh my. you might see something really ridiculous.

This should give you an idea what a tour pro would do to your local course:

And that's why we love Bubba.

mentioned this to a friend today and he said Chad Campbell played a local in Fort Worth, made 10 on the first hole (a par 5) and still finished with a 62.

Back