What's one opinion on golf you will never change your mind upon?

So we agree? I'm confused.
Not entirely. Players back then did not have the time to spend on the range like today, or call the mfg. to help with clubs, or call their swing coach, if that was a thing back then. Fitness either. Traveling to the next venue ate up a lot of that time, and bad diets did not help, eating fast food along the way. So, skills were honed on the course a lot of the time, and most played every week, as the money was not good, no matter how tired they were. Equipment did not help either. Ok, so a mfg. would build a set for them, or a course pro would do it, using a certain brand. If a pro broke a club, most likely would have to do without it the rest of the weekend, unless one could be found in the pro shop, or local stores. Swings were built "around" the equipment back then. Lee Trevino used to align himself about 10*-12* left of target, just to hit his target. And he is considered to be one of the greats of the game. Jack Nicklaus is known to be a long hitter back in the day, outdriving most oponents by 30+ yards, at about 280-290 yards. Those old drivers were very UNFORGIVING, unlike todays clubs. So I think skill level, all things being equal, was on plane with the equipment that was available at that time.
As a side note, can I ask how old you are?

Based on what? Back then, the equipment sucked, the balls sucked! It's amazing that they could play under par back then. You try hitting a persimmon wood, and see how you do! A lot of the science in today's equipment was not even a thing back then..Balls were all rocks back then, and no layers. Balata was the best ball back then, and not sure when that became a thing. TopFlite and Spaulding were at the top of the golf world, as far as equipment, and balls concerned. Fitness for players back then was not even a consideration, and sure as hell did not make the money they do today, and have a private jet to get to their tournament destinations. Most of them drove their cars to these places, cross country. Or, they had to fly economy on commercial planes. Drive for a couple of days, and then play a qualifier, if needed, then play for the weekend, and do it all again the next week. Life was not so easy for those pros back then. Pros today don't appreciate what they have, and are a bunch of crybabies...
I agree with drd1956 on this, I have a TaylorMade Burner driver with 9.5* loft that you could almost fit 2 heads of inside my current Ping G10! I loved that Burner, still has a special place in my “Clubs of Fame” bag! The room for a miss hit was minimal, today the huge, forgiving heads with lighter, varying shafts that allow golfers more speed and distance than ever, providing a big advantage for getting off the tee more consistently in the fairway. Ball advancement has been exponentially better over the years regarding spin, feel, etc...add in the ability to get to a destination days prior to the tournament, compared to them driving for days, it’s clear that their performance was something very special! Could you imagine driving 3-4 days solid to get to a tournament that you are not even guaranteed to finish in the money?!? And even if you did, have to drive 3-4 days to get back home?!? C’mon?!? When this nearing 60 year old hack can hit a Drive within sniffing range of the all-time great Jack Nicklaus in his prime, c’mon, do we really think they were that bad?!? LOL! 😂

Attachments

• 93C52750-D731-487C-9EA6-48EB76471550.jpeg
    93C52750-D731-487C-9EA6-48EB76471550.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 05656A81-8078-4B90-85FB-5F9D119A9B25.jpeg
    05656A81-8078-4B90-85FB-5F9D119A9B25.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1DE4F27C-3BFD-408A-9A7C-B4CA0318D179.jpeg
    1DE4F27C-3BFD-408A-9A7C-B4CA0318D179.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 3
Slow play sucks. Play ready golf get moving.

Not entirely. Players back then did not have the time to spend on the range like today, or call the mfg. to help with clubs, or call their swing coach, if that was a thing back then. Fitness either. Traveling to the next venue ate up a lot of that time, and bad diets did not help, eating fast food along the way. So, skills were honed on the course a lot of the time, and most played every week, as the money was not good, no matter how tired they were. Equipment did not help either. Ok, so a mfg. would build a set for them, or a course pro would do it, using a certain brand. If a pro broke a club, most likely would have to do without it the rest of the weekend, unless one could be found in the pro shop, or local stores. Swings were built "around" the equipment back then. Lee Trevino used to align himself about 10*-12* left of target, just to hit his target. And he is considered to be one of the greats of the game. Jack Nicklaus is known to be a long hitter back in the day, outdriving most oponents by 30+ yards, at about 280-290 yards. Those old drivers were very UNFORGIVING, unlike todays clubs. So I think skill level, all things being equal, was on plane with the equipment that was available at that time.
As a side note, can I ask how old you are?
I am 39. I am going to assume what is going to happen here. I bet you are old enough to have watched golf in that era and you have fond memories of that, which is great. So if I even yield that skill level is the same, today's golfers have better fitness/equipment/coaches/everything. Playing the hypothetical of "what happens when we give the 75 ranked PGA Tour golfer in 1963 equipment from 2023," might be fun, but does not sway my opinions now that the depth of field on the PGA Tour in 2023 is orders of magnitude deeper than they were in the 1960s. It does not matter to frame it as "what if the PGA Tour golfers in the 1960s had all of the advantage as PGA Tour golfers in 2023", because they didn't and the golfers now do. That's why the fields are deeper.

I am 39. I am going to assume what is going to happen here. I bet you are old enough to have watched golf in that era and you have fond memories of that, which is great. So if I even yield that skill level is the same, today's golfers have better fitness/equipment/coaches/everything. Playing the hypothetical of "what happens when we give the 75 ranked PGA Tour golfer in 1963 equipment from 2023," might be fun, but does not sway my opinions now that the depth of field on the PGA Tour in 2023 is orders of magnitude deeper than they were in the 1960s. It does not matter to frame it as "what if the PGA Tour golfers in the 1960s had all of the advantage as PGA Tour golfers in 2023", because they didn't and the golfers now do. That's why the fields are deeper.
I am 66. Young child in the 60's, but did watch some golf. Have seen a lot on the GC, with all the old films they show, and also having the old pros get interviewed, and talk about life on the tour back then. That is what this blog is about-I have my opinion, you have yours. I just hope that you DO appreciate what those players back then went through, so that the players today could have what they do. Lot of young folks could care less about how things got to where they are today.

I am 66. Young child in the 60's, but did watch some golf. Have seen a lot on the GC, with all the old films they show, and also having the old pros get interviewed, and talk about life on the tour back then. That is what this blog is about-I have my opinion, you have yours. I just hope that you DO appreciate what those players back then went through, so that the players today could have what they do. Lot of young folks could care less about how things got to where they are today.
You beat me to it. I couldn't have said it better.

Oh without a doubt. I would never even hint that it was easy back then to be a touring professional.

Oh without a doubt. I would never even hint that it was easy back then to be a touring professional.
Hey, I get it. It Is not easy to be a Tour Pro even today. Look at Pebble Beach this weekend, and then today, some of the guys played over 27 holes to try to finish. Some have to play their back 9 tomorrow. Long day...

I’ll hold firm and never change my mind that playing golf at Torrey Pines for $11 dollar green fees and $7 bucks at twilight was a wonderful thing.👌

I agree that the depth of talent is much greater today than it was a couple generations ago and I think the same can be said for most major sports. At the same time, the top tier of athletes "back in the day" would thrive today. Given the same access to knowledge, training, technology, financial incentives... many would likely be at the top against today's fields. They might not necessarily dominate as they did in their era, but I believe they would be successful.

Ever heard the saying “In vino veritas” meaning that one tells the truth when under the influence of alcohol?

I believe in “in golf veritas”. Your character and behaviour on the golf course reflects you as a person and gives accurate insight into other areas of your life.

Tiger Woods has played the best golf that has ever been played.

It's not the Arrow it's the Indian!

Would think golf can be inclusive without turning it into a WWE joke.

I agree that the depth of talent is much greater today than it was a couple generations ago and I think the same can be said for most major sports. At the same time, the top tier of athletes "back in the day" would thrive today. Given the same access to knowledge, training, technology, financial incentives... many would likely be at the top against today's fields. They might not necessarily dominate as they did in their era, but I believe they would be successful.
Very well stated, I truly believe great is great in any era!

If you can take your PW and hit 10/10 shots from 125 yds to within 5 yds of target you're a player.

If you can take your PW and hit 10/10 shots from 125 yds to within 5 yds of target you're a player.
That would be something if I could do it considering my PW maxes out at 110 yds ;)

Expensive, high tech putters and expensive shafts won’t help you make more putts.

I was an absolute wreck putting prior to being fit for a expensive putter and now I would consider it a strength, if not the best part of my game.

Only have time for 9 holes? 😂
When I meet up with my buddy and his son, almost 2 hours of that is just the drive, paying, small range bucket and practicing putting for a few minutes prior to steeping on the first tee! Lol! 😂

Back