What's Your Pace?

I tend to be pretty quick around the course, probably to my own detriment. By the time I get the the ball I've already got an idea of the yardage and what club I'm going to hit, so just a glance at the watch to confirm and then go. No practice swings unless it's around the green and I want to get a feel for the distance or a really bad lie in the rough, and then pull the trigger. Walk and repeat.

I would call my routine deliberate but efficient

As I am walking towards my ball I will be checking my watch for the yardage so that I have an idea of the likely club, then as I get to the ball I will assess the lie and make my final club selection
Stand behind the ball and pick my target, then I will either take a practice swing behind the ball before moving into position, or I will take one next to the ball (more likely if it is an awkward lie)
Once over the ball, a final look at my target and make my swing

I don't mind what the pace is, as long as it is consistent and not quick/slow changing all through the round, and I will adjust my routine accordingly so that I am not standing around waiting too much

Normally get my yardage, take one or two soft practice swings to rehearse the feel I want on the backswing, then let it fly.

I’m not nearly as deliberate as I should be. I’m quick everywhere, ready for the next shot at times before I hit the current one :LOL:

No practice swings, I really only take time to line up putts. Even then its get the line on the ball on the line I want to start my putt, then I'm up and over the ball. I don't step back to recheck anything or whatever. I hit the ball and go.

my pace adjusts to my playing partners (i'll take extra practice swings while waiting for them...and fuming on the inside)...by myself, it's much quicker (maybe a quick practice swing).

I need to slow my pace. Same when I (very infrequently) hit the range. There, I’ll go through balls too quickly unless I force myself to slow down.

Similarly on the course, I’m like an anxious little kid who wants to get to his ball and hit it again, and again, and again! So as you can imagine, I don’t really have a dedicated pre-shot routine. Sometimes I take a practice swing, too often I do not. I really need to change that.

None of it is a reaction to the course’s pace of play or if being pushed by a group behind. I’m the same, too quick, even when I have the place to myself.

I play quick but not rushed... Minimal practice swings & I pick a line on the green and pull the trigger...
If my foursome plays in more than 4 hours, I consider it a failure...

I play quick but not rushed... Minimal practice swings & I pick a line on the green and pull the trigger...
If my foursome plays in more than 4 hours, I consider it a failure...
Ditto.

Two weekends ago after our round, a couple guys from the group that played in front of us was wondering where the earlier groups from our game were. I said they probably got tired of waiting, and an offense was taken. They contended that 4.5 hours was not only acceptable, but reasonable.

Ditto.

Two weekends ago after our round, a couple guys from the group that played in front of us was wondering where the earlier groups from our game were. I said they probably got tired of waiting, and an offense was taken. They contended that 4.5 hours was not only acceptable, but reasonable.
4.5 hours isn’t acceptable... I don’t care what the cart says...

4.5 hours isn’t acceptable... I don’t care what the cart says...
At the course we play, 3:45 is slow, even when crowded.

i do not want to be rushed. ever. i’m not the fastest, but i can get around in respectable time. i generally take 1-2 practice swings. i generally only line my putts up from behind, rarely walk around to check different angles.

Not sure how practice swings dictates pace? Yeah I always take a swing or two. That said my course is long and 3:30 is not tough for me. Preferably I think under 4 hours is great. All of my better scores have come at that pace.

LOL. My Air Force buddy and I played on Thursday and the starter made us play two holes over again so we might have a chance to sync up for the second nine.

They have three 9-hole tracks.

We were still early for the second nine…

I try to be pretty quick with my pace. I try to pick a target from behind the ball, step up to the ball set up and pull the trigger. I've never played particularly well so I'm always paranoid about being slow, so really try to play ready golf and take as little time over the ball as possible.

Back