When did you fall in love with golf?

Played once with a couple of high school friends right around 30 years ago. Was shocked at the difficulty and forgot about it for the remainder of high school.

Four or five years later went with a couple of friends to a pitch and putt course near my college campus since I "had played before" and was just as bad as the first time and just thought this game is silly and not for me!

About 8 years later a friend convinced me to go to a driving range and this time I found the act of hitting the ball with this weird looking stick to be much more interesting. Probably the fact that as a beginner on the driving range there is much less pressure because you're not slowing anyone down with your misses/shanks/tops/etc. This lead to a set of lessons and then finally a couple of years of playing.

And then the children arrived and I stopped playing completely.

Another decade+ later (about 6-7 years ago) I ended up getting Tiger Woods golf for Xbox 360, LOL. This in turn reignited the fire and this time it became a personality defining passion!

TLDR: Some starts and stops with golf throughout my life. Truly re-embraced the game about 5-6 years ago. Was spurred by a video game of all things!

Golf has frustrated me to no end since the first day I picked up a club. I wouldn't call what I have a love for the game... more like an obsession. The quest to master something that cannot be mastered.

I had an incredible passion for the game for a long time but I never truly loved it until I realized all that it could offer through friendship.

My love came with a combination of good play and great friends. When the experience superseded the scores.

Not just one single moment for me. I remember in 2nd grade practicing catching fly balls for baseball, my dad would hit pitching wedge shots for me to catch and throw back. Then just hitting his sand wedge around the back yard. Then again in high school playing on the course across the street from my best friends house. Later in life getting to go out with my dad and brother on a Saturday morning. Even later, taking my kids to the course and watching them have fun just riding in the cart, hitting putts, raking bunkers, cleaning balls in the ball washer or pushing my dads clicgear.

Back