When do you ditch your putter?

BL

Reaction score
Handicap
Short game
Assuming your existing putter is in good shape and you're not a putter ho who keeps more than 1 putter on hand at a time, when do you decide it's time to make a switch?

I've been putting just terribly lately. I'm meeting with my coach soon to look at my stroke, but I just can't stand the sight of my putter anymore. When do you decide that a new putter would help?

1. I have to be putting terribly

2. I have to be lights out with a putter I'm messing with in the photoshop because of #1

Assuming your existing putter is in good shape and you're not a putter ho who keeps more than 1 putter on hand at a time, when do you decide it's time to make a switch?

I've been putting just terribly lately. I'm meeting with my coach soon to look at my stroke, but I just can't stand the sight of my putter anymore. When do you decide that a new putter would help?

I think you answered your question!

Personally I am not sure. I only made the switch when I got into the Grandaddy. I don't necessarily think I would have switched if not for that but certainly being in an event with new gear made it an easy decision.

I don't understand this sentence :alien:

I have a rotation of 3 different styles as well as a weight kit. Depending on the courses I switch.

Are you putting any better post-GD?

When the custom ordered Spider Tour arrives to my door next week.

That's when.

Would you elaborate a bit and tell me when/why you switch?

Green speed is the big one. I can adjust my stroke for all of the putters I play but there are some I prefer on faster greens and others on slow. My B1 is great on nicer greens but on slow greens, it can be a little challenging for the longer lag putts and I have left 3-4 footers short before. I also have a blade that I like to use when I know I am going to have longer putts because it is easier for me to gauge speed. Then lastly is my Corza Ghost which is a mix between the two for me. I will be playing it this weekend since the greens might slow down a little but I chose it over the blade because it has a bigger grip on it.

What is going on with your putter right now?

Are you putting any better post-GD?

I believe so... basically my first putter after getting into golf was a Newport 2 dual balance putter... very heavy and blade style. Once I tried out more at the GD I felt like I had more control with a lighter mallet style putter. To be fair I still don't think I am all that good of a putter but it's mainly my stroke and not the putter itself. IMO why keep switching when it's me who sucks

I usually give it quite a bit of leash, but when it just looks wrong down by the ball and I cant square it up to my line it's time to shake it up.

I gave my last attempt at switching 5 rounds before I knew it wasnt working. With GG I get to keep track of putts per hole and with the Columbus I climbed up over 2 putts per hole on average. 0 chance I score well with that so it's on the bench for now.

I didn’t ditch my putter, but I noticed I was slightly pulling a lot of putts left so I added a new grip for the first time in 13 years and voila I started putting strainer with misses being on both sides of the cup and really close every time. I don’t know if I will ever get a new putter.

I actually ditched mine yesterday. I like the feel and the roll of the tank#1 but have come to the realization I can't aim a blade worth a darn. Pulled my Bobby Grace Fat Lady Swings out, added a shaft extension and new grip and had a pretty good day on the greens at my friends club yesterday. I had give up on the BG years ago because the short shaft was bothering my back. Figured I'd give a chance lengthening the shaft. Kind of glad I did. Trounced my friend on his home course, felt bad about it. Not really :banana:

I’ll give my putter a pretty good leash before I move on. If I’m putting bad and can’t see the line the first thing I’m doing is trying to figure out where in my set up or pre shot routine I’m off and try to fix.

Other times you just have to change to see something g different at address.

I don’t think there is a right or wrong time to change. It is just going to depend on where our limits are as we are all different.

I am much more patient now than I used to be. If I completely lost confidence for an extended period of time, I would know it is time for a change.

Usually a four putt will do it.

I two putt every hole and am okay with that, I certainly dont blame the putter.

Its the rest of my clubs not getting me closer.

Last edited:

It is time.....when you dont want to look at it theres zero confidence.

It is time.....when you dont want to look at it theres zero confidence.

This pushed me over the edge. I'm officially back on the market.

I rotate freely. I have a really old faux hickory shaft putter from the 30s that I play a round with when I'm really feeling lost with the more modern ones. After that the other putters feel like they were crafted by the gods.

Rotating is important. You don't want a putter to get too complacent. In extreme circumstances you have to do something drastic like snap one in front of the other putters so they know you mean business. You can't be nice to these things. They are not your friends. They must respect or better yet fear you, knowing that if they fail to please they will soon return to the spare storage bag to sit sadly in the basement dreaming of the excitement of putting for birdie that they may never see again.

Seriously though, if I use the same putter too long I start flat pushing everything. I could figure out that flaw, but I kind of like being really weird about putters. I need a level of discomfort to function.

Back