When you putt, do you . . .

When you putt, do you . . .

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, only angle putter!

As some of the comments have shown, communication can sometimes be difficult. Are we to assume the putt is flat? Do you putt with your eyes and shoulders directly over the ball, in which case you might on a flat putt align them directly at the hole, or are your eyes and shoulders inside the ball in which case a flat putt would generally require a parallel alignment, not right at the hole?

Most instructors teach powering the putt with a rocking of the shoulders, which would work best with shoulder alignment perpendicular to the putter face and directly over the ball. However, lots of us power the putt in different ways, have many alignments of various body parts that creates a number of variables, including many others we haven't even mentioned.

At least that's what I see when I go play a round of golf.

I stand with my shoulders square to the target, which isnt always the hole.

Other - square to my target line, which will not necessarily be the hole unless it is a perfectly straight putt

This may sound a bit strange, but my shoulders are square to the target line, but my stance is ever so slightly open.

Square to the target line.

I'm more into "feel" than mechanics when putting so for me it varies. Sometimes I am square, other times open to the line. I've never really thought about what circumstance, breaking right/left or uphill/downhill or long/short, under which I feel more comfortable one way or the other. One thing I never do is set up closed.

i try to line up square. in reality my feet are closed and shoulders are open to compensate. and yet i'm still dumbfounded when the ball doesn't go in the hole. gee, i wonder why?!

dave stockton says to line up a little open. i think square is best, though.

...eye ball the line I want to hit, set the ball down on that line using the alignment marker, then re-verify everything. I make a few practice strokes then just hit the putt :0)

Square shoulders to my TARGET, which may not always be the hole.

Open or closed shoulders can create variables in the stroke, making it easier to cut across or pull putts. So, square to my target line it is.

I voted for "square to the hole" but THIS (what Jman said) is what I do. Wasn't thinking about breaking putts before I clicked.

I'm square to the target line.

This may sound a bit strange, but my shoulders are square to the target line, but my stance is ever so slightly open.

Not weird at all, I am the same. That or we are both weird

Not weird at all, I am the same. That or we are both weird

With that swimming pool noodle you have as a putter grip, you have to have an open stance, lol.

Square shoulders to my line, I'm assuming that's what you meant...if not, my bad. Other if that's the case.
This is me too.....square shoulders to line. Also take a giant slow deep breath.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I try to square my shoulders to the hole, it feels like I do, I know in the past I've putted with an open stance.

Honestly I would like to get hooked up to something to measure all of the important club and body parts in 3d to see if what I think I am doing while putting is what I am doing. I have been working last few days at home on a mat with target lines and I have a feeling that my misses on course, specially inside 10 feet are strictly not aiming where I think I am aiming.

I try for square to the target line, but I'm probably a little open, like everything else.

Other

I always putt with an open stance, and putter squared to the line. I just seem to make a freer stroke than when trying to get everything square to the line. I don't think I'm a great putter but I do make a good percent of them.

I realize I should have worded the poll to say square to the target line. So square in this case does mean target line

Back