Where does a home builder start?

Scribble

More balls to hit…
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Vanity 20
Is it as easy as starting with re-gripping?
-vice
-air compressor
-scale
Where does it go from there? club building
-shaft puller
-shaft cutting
-D balance
-heat & epoxy
-freq modulator
-bender

where do I begin?

I feel a vice will make a lot of your life easier. Odds are, you’re doing more regripping than anything. Build off of that you know?

I feel a vice will make a lot of your life easier. Odds are, you’re doing more regripping than anything. Build off of that you know?
I saw a guy re-grip with an air compressor.
air > slide off > air > slide on
no cutting, no solvent. Didn't even change the tape.

I'm assuming he was a frequent grip changer. There is no way your pulling a baked 2 year old grip off with air and having a simple clean off.

-vice
-air compressor
-scale
-shaft puller
-shaft cutting
-D balance
-heat & epoxy
-freq modulator
-bender

where do I begin?
Not with a frequency modulator. 😆

Depends on what you're going to do. Vice, scale, torch, cut off saw, puller, etc...

Not with a frequency modulator. 😆

Depends on what you're going to do. Vice, scale, torch, cut off saw, puller, etc...
I get it. frequency is way up there, and a proper bender is not cheap.

Would a mounted roto zip work?

I started off with a vice, air compressor, and standard gripping stuff. I used to play only Pure grips so that made regripping super easy. Now I’m getting better at gripping with solvent, tape, etc.

I did venture into putting shafts into heads this past year. Haven’t done any pulls yet. Slowly but surely building up my tools, workspace, and confidence

Vice, air compressor, and work bench. I already had those things and it all started with doing some grips. I later bought the economy shaft puller and a cheap heat gone. Then it was a cheap 3” chop saw to trim shafts. Last week it was a golfworks order that consisted of an economy iron loft/lie jig, non marring bending bar and a protractor.

-vice
-air compressor
-scale
-shaft puller
-shaft cutting
-D balance
-heat & epoxy
-freq modulator
-bender

where do I begin?
I started with a club ruler. Not sure if that is the best place or not. But that is what I got first.

Shaft clamp -M
Cut off saw - M
Razor knife - M
Ferrule installer - O
Swingweight scale - O
Golf Club Ruler -M
Economy shaft puller - M
Epoxy -M
Acetone -M
Metal File -M
Heat Gun industrial style -M
Metal Scribe - O
Shop Rags - M
Vice - O

Initials after are either M for must have, or O, optional but needed.
The last item is the metal scribe. Yes, it's optional, but I use it on every build. From measuring hosel depth to mixing and applying epoxy. It has endless uses. I grind off the hook end and make that end blunt.
Don't cheap out on the heat gun. Get one with the integral stand. Screenshot_20231126_121245_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231126_121143_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231126_122432_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20231126_122858_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I'm assuming he was a frequent grip changer. There is no way your pulling a baked 2 year old grip off with air and having a simple clean off.
It had to be pretty fresh, because it takes quite a bit of PSI to break the tape seal, and that’s not something you just hit at 100psi and not be anxious about blowing the grip up.

where do I begin?

I wouldn't be surprised learning home DYI's started by changing their own grips and proceeded from there.

I started doing my own gear way more than several years ago because I got tired of OEM's telling me what I could get, what I couldn't get, and when I could get it. Nuts, I'll do it myself. Got some salvage clubs from a thrift store, tore them apart to see how they're made, and went from there. Need a good vise for sure, you'll figure out the rest in pretty short order.

Last edited:
Yes, I started with re-gripping.
Putting on adapters for driver shafts is also easy.
I've progressed to assembling my own clubs. A 7W, a two wedges, and a couple irons.
It helps if you have properly assembled clubs with the shafts you intend to use, to make sure you got the tipping correct.

KBS has clear instructions on how to tip their shafts. I have a gap wedge with a TGI 60 that works great!

Last edited:
Absolute minimum needs:

Grips:
Box knife with hook blade
Solvent
Grip Tape
Paint pan to catch solvent

Shafts:
Club ruler
Something to cut shafts: hacksaw for graphite, pipe cutter for steel.
Something to abrade tip (Dremel, belt sander, sand paper and elbow grease
Epoxy

That’s it. EVERYTHING else is bonus, makes your job easier. I repaired and built clubs for almost 40 years with just the basics I mentioned above.

Swing weight scale will add loads of fun, especially when you mess with putters.

I’m close enough to wreck some s#*t.
Gimme a couple weeks and I’ll be laid out.
Thanks all!

Invest in golf epoxy. It is designed to come apart in boiling water. Allows you to take clubs apart and start over. Or just change the ferrules!
Though you have to be careful and not twist graphite shafts apart, as that will ruin them.
I bought 20 hr epoxy as I'm not in a rush.

Invest in golf epoxy. It is designed to come apart in boiling water. Allows you to take clubs apart and start over. Or just change the ferrules!
Though you have to be careful and not twist graphite shafts apart, as that will ruin them.
I bought 20 hr epoxy as I'm not in a rush.

Yes, this is good advice. You can only pull graphite shafts with heat and a shaft puller. I found this out the hard way haha. I was pulling shafts some graphite shafts pretty early on in a buddy’s irons set. I ruined the first shaft by just twisting it off. Cost me $50.

Shaft clamp -M
Cut off saw - M
Razor knife - M
Ferrule installer - O
Swingweight scale - O
Golf Club Ruler -M
Economy shaft puller - M
Epoxy -M
Acetone -M
Metal File -M
Heat Gun industrial style -M
Metal Scribe - O
Shop Rags - M
Vice - O

Initials after are either M for must have, or O, optional but needed.
The last item is the metal scribe. Yes, it's optional, but I use it on every build. From measuring hosel depth to mixing and applying epoxy. It has endless uses. I grind off the hook end and make that end blunt.
Don't cheap out on the heat gun. Get one with the integral stand. View attachment 9224445View attachment 9224446View attachment 9224447View attachment 9224449

I really need to replace my heat gun with a new better one. What model do you recommend?

I really need to replace my heat gun with a new better one. What model do you recommend?
The one I pictured is almost identical to the one I have. It was from harbor freight and the best one they sold. I no longer see them listed. But look below.

I googled the one I have, and this is it with another label. It easily works for anything golf related, and the heat is easy to control.
The attached base plate on the back end of it is key for me. Almost fool proof to burn your self or the work surface. It's almost impossible to knock it over.
I have a Hercules battery operated one for different projects. That is not strong enough for golf club work.

I'm not sure if my link posted, but here is the pictureScreenshot_20231126_190324_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have never had success pulling a grip off that was installed with solvent. This year I have been putting grips on and off with a compressor and I have only had one twist. I find it much easier, faster and less mess than solvent. Plus it is easy to pull a grip off if you want to.

I would start with a vice, shaft puller and heat gun. I added a swingweight scale this year and a very inexpensive chop saw. I still don’t have a scale but may add one. My dream would be a loft and lie machine but I don’t have the room.

I have had pretty good success re-shafting clubs with that. I swingweight using lead tape so it isn’t as pretty but it is easy to get the numbers right.

Yes, this is good advice. You can only pull graphite shafts with heat and a shaft puller. I found this out the hard way haha. I was pulling shafts some graphite shafts pretty early on in a buddy’s irons set. I ruined the first shaft by just twisting it off. Cost me $50.
1000001750.jpeg

+1 on only using shaft puller with graphite. :LOL:

Grips are more peoples gateway to building. Never ventured into the air compressor realm, seems like it takes a bit of technique.

All you need:
hook blade
Solvent
Grip Tape
Paint pan
paper towels

don't even need a work area, can do it over a sink.

past that.
workbench/vice is the next thing. will help with gripping and easier building/epoxy.

then sandpaper for prep, epoxy, something to mix the epoxy, heatgun, hosel brush (manual, or drill bit attachment) gloves to handle hot metal.

dremel/hacksaw is pretty important as well.

if you need to do graphite, shaft puller needed.

ruler, scale, swingweight scale, ferrule installer - all nice, but not needed.

Back