Where is the ball in your stance?

Where is the ball

• Total voters
Just fwd of center

I voted dead centre but I'm actually not sure if that's really true. I mean I think it's dead centre but it might off centre. Will check next time.

I try to be as center as possible when putting.

If your goal is to make more putts then I think this is the wrong question. Too many different body types, putting grips, and putter styles to declare a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are two things that I think are supreme.

1. Getting your eyes over the ball so you minimize any perception distortion from them being located elsewhere.

2. Striking the ball so the ball immediately begins rolling with a little topspin.

Examples

Same putter, same player: A traditional opposed hands putting grip vs. a claw vs. a Kutcher arm brace grip. Each will require a different ball position.

Same player, same grip: One putter has a shaft with offset the other does not. Again, they will require a different ball position.

Get the idea?
Not sure why a claw grip would require a different ball position then a traditional grip assuming the same putter and shaft.
Just tried it (traditional and claw) and didn't need to change the ball position.
I believe it is about comfort and what a person sees when they are over the ball to putt.

If your goal is to make more putts then I think this is the wrong question. Too many different body types, putting grips, and putter styles to declare a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are two things that I think are supreme.

1. Getting your eyes over the ball so you minimize any perception distortion from them being located elsewhere.

2. Striking the ball so the ball immediately begins rolling with a little topspin.

Examples

Same putter, same player: A traditional opposed hands putting grip vs. a claw vs. a Kutcher arm brace grip. Each will require a different ball position.

Same player, same grip: One putter has a shaft with offset the other does not. Again, they will require a different ball position.

Get the idea?
Your No 2 point may be an impossible task given that putters have a small amount of loft which imparts a low backspin of one or two revolutions per second on impact. This causes the ball to slide making little or no difference to the putt. When friction with the green surface stops the small amount of backswing the ball will begins rolling.
This is a brief summary I put together from Chapter 21 Science on the Greens from the scientific publication "Search for the Perfect Swing".

I go dead center of stance, with my putter just behind it. I prefer to make contact in the middle of my stance vs forward, as I feel I roll the putt better that way.

Forward under my left eye (right handed, left eye dominant).

Slightly forward of center, eyes just inside the target line

Not sure why a claw grip would require a different ball position then a traditional grip assuming the same putter and shaft.
Just tried it (traditional and claw) and didn't need to change the ball position.
I believe it is about comfort and what a person sees when they are over the ball to putt.
If you really focused on making them the same, they could be. But generally, people employ the claw grip to take the wrists out of their putting motion. This would change the AoA at impact. Thus if the loft was optimal for getting the ball rolling immediately with a little topspin before using the claw grip changing to the claw grip will generally require a change of ball position to get an optimal AoA with the claw grip. There are other factors like how far you bend over, and the influence of the grip on the swing plane that can come into play as well. But this was the main one I was thinking about when I wrote that.

Your No 2 point may be an impossible task given that putters have a small amount of loft which imparts a low backspin of one or two revolutions per second on impact. This causes the ball to slide making little or no difference to the putt. When friction with the green surface stops the small amount of backswing the ball will begins rolling.
This is a brief summary I put together from Chapter 21 Science on the Greens from the scientific publication "Search for the Perfect Swing".
Since the putting motion is an arc the dynamic loft will change depending on how far forward or back in the stance the ball is...assuming all other variables remain the same.

I’m pretty far forward of center. My putting stroke is most like my 3wood in ball position.

Slightly forward of center

Back