Where to retire to?

Texas would not be a bad choice either. Plenty of options ranging from larger city areas (Houston, Dallas, Austin) to more country options (Texas Hill Country is fantastic). Tons of courses, no taxes

My son leaves in Fort Worth and that area seems nice. I played golf there one February with serious golfer. He had his own cart with an enclosed heated cabin. He was able to play year round. The summers are hotter and a little less humid than south Florida.
A great area many people are moving to is Austin. Because it is so popular it has massive traffic. The area just north is less congested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am thinking of retiring to Carolina's or Colorado. When I lived in CO for a couple of years I could golf year round, climate was nice and dry and never shoveled snow. It was a great spot with lots of outdoor activities

I moved from Florida to North Carolina, following the grandkids. Almost as many golf courses, you can play almost all year and real estate prices and insurance are low compared to FL.

I am thinking of retiring to Carolina's or Colorado. When I lived in CO for a couple of years I could golf year round, climate was nice and dry and never shoveled snow. It was a great spot with lots of outdoor activities

I have a friend moving to Golden Colorado area and he is finding home prices went through the roof in the last 10-15 years. Over $800,000 for 3,000sf!!

My son leaves in Fort Worth and that area seems nice. I played golf there one February with serious golfer. He had his own cart with an enclosed heated cabin. He was able to play year round. The summers are hotter and a little less humid than south Florida.
A great area many people are moving to is Austin. Because it is so popular it has massive traffic. The area just north is less congested.

I live in Georgetown about 30 minutes north of Austin and traffic isn't too bad though it is growing by the day. The Sun City (55+ community) here is huge and has 3 courses. There are a bunch more within 30-60 minutes if you want to go somewhere else. If it can be a hobby then there is probably a club for it to join. Just be careful that you don't put flamingos in the yard or an upside down pineapple in your grocery cart unless you are into:

Mountains summer with a winter getaway. Low humidity both (if you choose well) and some extraordinary landscapes and lifestyle opportunities. If I can ever swing it, I will live here (Montana) and bust down to Arizona for Jan-Mar.

Im going to throw Texas out there. Ive been to Austin a couple times and its awesome. Good food, good beer, good nightlife, plenty of land for a garden and warm enough that you can golf year-round.

I've always liked the idea of South Carolina but more towards the foothills in the western part of the state. I think it is fairly tax-friendly and it's one of the best courses-per-capita states.

Sorry to hear about your career situation @SBHGC. I hope it all works out for you.

I have a friend moving to Golden Colorado area and he is finding home prices went through the roof in the last 10-15 years. Over $800,000 for 3,000sf!!

Thats like MA prices. I know it has gone way up since the late 90's. But I like golf and skiing. But also need cheap and probably closer to MA

We really appreciate all of the people fleeing the high taxes and cost of living in California only to vote in candidates who guess what, want to raise taxes and enact the same policies that made taxes high and the cost of living out of control in California.
I've been in California pretty much my whole life, and would love to get the hell out of here when I retire. The cost of living is a bit much here, the taxes are ridiculous, but the political climate here is the biggest problem for the wife and I. I've traveled all over the country, and know I don't deal with humidity too well, and the wife doesn't want to go anywhere too cold in the winter, so we would prefer to stay west of the Rockies. Unfortunately, most of the western states are slowly turning into California, as @fupresti mentioned about AZ. :banghead:

If you like golf and moderate weather, take a hard look at Bella Vista, Arkansas. It gets hot, but not outrageous, and the winters are tolerable with the occasional snow storm creeping in. It's absolutely beautiful part of the country. A good friend of mine retired there and I visit about once a month. It will be in my retirement plan as well.

Starting to build my house to retire in Philippines right now. The land is cleared and we are starting to build the plan the house layout and all. Since I’m not a fan of cold or rain to retire here in Canada that makes sense to me to live in a warm climate. If I was stateside AZ,NV,FL or HI would be my choices.

We've been in San Antonio since 2001 and we're retiring in 3.5 years. The Hill Country here is a fantastic place to retire, no doubt! However, we're currently set on retiring in AZ; looking at E/SE area of Phoenix. This has been our plan for a couple years now. With that said, she's now considering Tennessee. I'm sure it'll be AZ, I really like Queen Creek.

We really appreciate all of the people fleeing the high taxes and cost of living in California only to vote in candidates who guess what, want to raise taxes and enact the same policies that made taxes high and the cost of living out of control in California.
We're set on AZ but the thought of it turning blue is scary! We (TX) have a large influx of CA's moving here too and we're also afraid of the changing political climate.

Hi all! Hoping I can get some ideas on where I should retire to? Having entered into a forced early retirement thanks to COVID, I need to start thinking where I should retire to. Having lived most of my life in upstate NY, we are definitely getting out of the too long cold winters and too high taxes. Florida although probably my first pick is too hot for the wife, so probably not there. I go to Myrtle Beach annually and like the area and the multitude of courses, so that is a possibility. What I’m looking for are suggestions that will make me and my golf widow both happy. Her needs are simply having good organic food sources and enough room with good soil to garden and not be living on top of our neighbors. All I need is somewhere I can belong to a club with a great layout. Ive belonged to the same club for almost 40 years and ill need to find somewhere new to call home. Coastal golf is not necessary as I wouldn’t mind being inland.

Best of luck in your search for your retirement location. I've lived all my life in Upstate NY. I'm approaching retirement age. Not there yet. I can see myself ending up anywhere from NC to Florida at least during the winter.

Starting to build my house to retire in Philippines right now. The land is cleared and we are starting to build the plan the house layout and all. Since I’m not a fan of cold or rain to retire here in Canada that makes sense to me to live in a warm climate. If I was stateside AZ,NV,FL or HI would be my choices.

How'd you decide on the Philippines? They have good golf there?

We've been in San Antonio since 2001 and we're retiring in 3.5 years. The Hill Country here is a fantastic place to retire, no doubt! However, we're currently set on retiring in AZ; looking at E/SE area of Phoenix. This has been our plan for a couple years now. With that said, she's now considering Tennessee. I'm sure it'll be AZ, I really like Queen Creek.

We visited to research in August. Played and looked at homes in Las Sendas. Actually really liked it. Affordable golf and nice homes.

All the places that are warm enough for us in the winter outside of CA (which we called home for 20 years and don't like) are way too hot in the summer. Our solution for when our high school sophomore graduates is to winter in Southwest Florida for 6.5 months and spend the summers in Minnesota. As an avid skier, I could live year-round in Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, or Montana but my wife would never consider it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 8.18.19 PM.png

How'd you decide on the Philippines? They have good golf there?
My wife is Filipina so that is the major reasoning. The golf course is 4 blocks from our house I’m excited to play there. Thailand also has great courses

Another vote for Texas, just stop trying to turn into where you left. Not you but in general.
30 minutes or so outside of any metroplex is pretty open. Golf year round but it’ll be on the warm side in the summer.

Not far from where I’m going to look this week. Green Valley.

Belize
On a boat

Leland, NC, just outside of Wilmington. Great golf course communities with other retirees. Planned activities for the wife. Not a bad drive to Myrtle or Calabash area courses.

Back