Which iron causes you to get anxious?

Honestly? I really only feel uncomfortable with woods and hybrids. I'll hit any iron you hand me. I was carrying a 15-16* iron until I broke it and it was great off of the turf as well. Irons suit how hard I swing and compress the ball with negative AoA...Woods baffle me.

Now, nobody get all ruffled by my next comment, it isn't meant as anything more than an observation.

I find the posts on this thread kind of shocking. In the sense that, as a high-capper, I wouldn't think a single digit player would be anything but completely comfortable with pretty much any of their sticks. Now, I know we're all humans, and can feel antsy about anything. It still is a bit of a revelation for me to hear.

I think that's why this is an interesting topic. It's one that I have been incredibly honest with myself about, because in spots on the course, it changes how I play. I for one think it is pretty damn cool to hear that others share a similar thought process and how the club type or number changes.

I can hit a hook to varying degrees and then smoke the next shot with the same club. So I don’t get anxious when pulling any club.

I do try to play the odds though and factor in how I’m hitting that day.

I voted 5 iron earlier, but actually ANY hybrid is worse. I may hit one out of ten hybrid shots clean, even though I am fine with them at the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 3 iron and lower can cause me some tension, the filp is, nothing is as satisfying to hit well.

Watching the pros hit long irons is one of my favorite things to watch.

Honestly? I really only feel uncomfortable with woods and hybrids. I'll hit any iron you hand me. I was carrying a 15-16* iron until I broke it and it was great off of the turf as well. Irons suit how hard I swing and compress the ball with negative AoA...Woods baffle me.

As your unpaid mental health coach, I recommend you go play the first solo in "Mr. Crowley" it will make you feel better.

Which iron causes you to get anxious?

As your unpaid mental health coach, I recommend you go play the first solo in "Mr. Crowley" it will make you feel better.

Hahahaha I got up this morning and played Bark at the Moon to start my day

I think the one thing that really shocked me to read was to read how much Jason Day really struggles with his 3 wood. It's like you are one of the best players in the world and to hear him talk about his uncomfortablility with it really made me appreciate this game we play. At every level of the game we have strengths and weaknesses.

Hmmm....I'd not heard of that. That's super-revelatory. You'd think the pro's, with literally unlimited practice time, equipment, coaching, money, etc. would be just the opposite.

"Hit off the tee with the fat end of a pool cue? Easy."
"Wait, the thin end? I'll lose 15 yards, but, OK."

None of them. Why would you carry a club in your bag you have no confidence in? Replace it with another or don't carry it at all.

Now, nobody get all ruffled by my next comment, it isn't meant as anything more than an observation.

I find the posts on this thread kind of shocking. In the sense that, as a high-capper, I wouldn't think a single digit player would be anything but completely comfortable with pretty much any of their sticks. Now, I know we're all humans, and can feel antsy about anything. It still is a bit of a revelation for me to hear.

It is shocking, but tell you the truth: *whispers* low cappers are humans as well

None of them. Why would you carry a club in your bag you have no confidence in? Replace it with another or don't carry it at all.

I don't carry a 3, 2, or 1 iron. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy hitting them and at the same time feel more tension over the shot. I get anxious. I have even gotten a hole-in-one with a 2 iron.

Tension isn't always a bad thing. I love it with my driver. Some of my best drives I can recall have come from being called up to a crowded tee box.

I can understand having that view. I'm currently a single digit and at my lowest was a 5 handicap and get antsy about my iron game as a whole. I'm not strong in that area and depend on my short game to pick me up a lot. That's something makes golf so interesting is a high handicapper may have a better iron game than me but I am able to shoot lower scores thanks to my short game. It's interesting for sure.

I can understand having that view. I'm currently a single digit and at my lowest was a 5 handicap and get antsy about my iron game as a whole. I'm not strong in that area and depend on my short game to pick me up a lot. That's something makes golf so interesting is a high handicapper may have a better iron game than me but I am able to shoot lower scores thanks to my short game. It's interesting for sure.

Then again, your short game is probably my 5 iron, lol.

2 problem clubs... 3 wood off a tee. Hit it just fine off the deck, but stick it in the ground about half the time when teed up. And any scramble attempt with a wedge. Might skull it, chunk it or even hole it. Chip yips are a terrible thing.

6 iron, even though its not my longest iron. I've had a lot of success with the 5, but I can't say the same about the 6, so I think I'm just lacking confidence at this point.

Thought I was the only one... I just struggle with the 6, particularly with the I210 6 for whatever reason

My 9, when it is good it is very very good and when it is bad it is horrid

Related question. Anyone know why they struggle with the club they do?

For me it's 5 and 4. I was still confident with my 6 but the 4 and 5 led to me making the switch to one length. I still play my Mizuno MP 60 7 iron thru PW (PW now replaced w/ Mizuno s-18 46 deg). 5 and 6 now Cobra F8 one length and 4 Cobra F9 Hybrid. Now obviously these are quite a bit different than my old muscle back Mizuno but for whatever reason it works for me. It's like once I need more club than that 7 iron. I just hit a different family of clubs I guess. Just a mind set I guess. Works for me so far. I could play the Cobra 7 as well but my Mizuno 7 is my most consistent club. I don't believe in the one length for shorter irons. I think most experienced players would just feel too weird with a 7 iron length PW. Haha. I personally think it's great for the longer irons however.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It’s not my fault. The face caved in along one of the grooves
It provided a lot of good times for sure and held on as long as it could I imagine. Haha, I did almost shed a tear though.

It provided a lot of good times for sure and held on as long as it could I imagine. Haha, I did almost shed a tear though.

Amazing club, glad I got to play it for a while.

Amazing club, glad I got to play it for a while.
Believe it or not, there is a better one that took over that spot in the bag. You'll get to see what I mean soon me thinks.

Back