Which Tee Box Do You Play From? Why?

I usually look for between 6200 and 6500 yards. If the rest of the group would rather play longer or shorter on a particular day I'm in...Nothing wrong with a little variety. Keep in mind some shorter layouts are much tougher than many longer courses.

Outside of THP events I'll typically try to play the furthest back tee box up to whatever falls around 6,500-6,800. Some courses that's the tips, others it's one up. If it's a new to me or very difficult course, I might move one box up, at least for the first time out on it.

Shorter the better for me ... I am not a long ball hitter ... typically the whites, but I am good with members of the group playing from tees they prefer.

Senior tees: 5600 yds. I'm a 63 year old woman and not the longest hitter out there, but still longer than playing the short 4700 - 5000 yd tees would warrant. I could play the whites, but I want to have fun playing.

I play whatever tees the group wants to play from. I can shoot the same scores from the senior tees as I do from the tips somehow.

First time on a course if the course is tricky, usually the whites (6200ish usually). Courses I know 6700ish usually, occasionally the tips (>7000). Next year, I plan on playing the tips more as shorter leads to too much driver, 9i/PW...

I play with a group of older guys sometimes (youngest is 67) they play whites even though some of them should be up at the reds since they aren't hitting drives much over 150 to 180 these days. I wish more guys would put there ego's away and play tees that would allow them to have shorter irons into the greens, they would enjoy it a lot more. I prefer 6000 to 6300 yards myself which is usually Blue tees in my area.

I play the whites, just because I always have.

It's usually a mix of the blues and whites for me, but I've mostly played from the whites since I started playing regularly again. I'll likely start playing from the blues again assuming the course length isn't ridiculous.

I like to play around 6400-6500 yards generally. Also consider the longest par 3 though and see how long that is before deciding

Difficulty does play a factor as well and I may move up a tee box on a difficult course.

I like playing around 6200-6400 yards (any slope is fine), although an extra 100 or so usually doesn't hurt too much. Longer than that and I'd rather not hit driver on a par 3; shorter than that and I feel like I'm cheating (especially since I had a PB this year from 5689 :bashful: ), even though I certainly have the ability to put up the same high score from a shorter setup.

I play whatever tees the group wants to play from. I can shoot the same scores from the senior tees as I do from the tips somehow.

+1 to that. Nothing I hate more than having one player in the group that HAS to play the tips...and is usually the worst player in the group...and is clueless. We don't have senior tees at my courses so it's either we all play white, or we all play blue.

I moved back after the first time I broke par from the whites. My sweet spot is around 6600 to 6800

Lately, I usually play between 6500 - 6800 yds. There is one course that is 6200 and usually ends up driver wedge on each hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer 6700 to 7000. Ill pick my tees accordingly. If im paired with folks who want to play up I will play with them to keep pace of play up.

I have always played middle tees unless the course is real short then usually I will get suckered in to playing the tips. I'm not a long hitter so the middle tee gives me the most enjoyment.

The Gold tee's. I'm 71 years young now with twice replaced left knee, replaced right shoulder, repaired right knee and left shoulder. Club head speed with the driver is now 88-90 mph. I enjoy playing par 4's with 6, 7 or 8 iron second shots and shorter shots from par 3 tee's. At this point in my life I want to enjoy the game, with a lot of good golf in the rear view mirror, I can't see playing from the white tee's and having 4 iron or choked down 3 wood second shots.

I'm probably best suited for 6000 to 6200. But if everyone else is playing a set back I can go to 6500 without too much trouble.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

We play from multiple tees because our group is always changing. Some days there are more young people and we play the tips. When all the old men show up (like me) we move up one tee. Cold weather also has a bearing on where we play. The difference between the two tees is about 450 yards so it's not really that big a deal.

I tend to stay around 6500, but I will gladly play 7000 if I have a willing participant.

I pick tees more based on yardages than color. Depending on the course I will generally play the tees that, on the scorecard, are between 6000 and 6500 yards. On most courses, that tends to be the"men's" regular white tees. However, on courses that have more than the usual three sets of tees that could be one set back.

At the beginning of 2015 I only played the red tees until I broke 80. Now I'm playing on the white tees until I break 80. I've shot an 81 a couple of times, but have yet to see that magical 79. Once I shoot a 79, I'll move it back to the blues, do the same routine, and then to the blacks. It just made the most sense to me.

Typically, I (and my golf buds) will play the tees that are approximately 6,700 - 7,000 yards, regardless of their color or if they are considered the tips. While that is our typical range/tees, we will switch it up on occassion, due primarily to (a) a new person in the group not being comfortable with that distance or (b) we want a little extra challenge and decide to move back to tees at approximately 7,000-7,400 yards.

I will agree with this ... with one caveat though. I will play from Whatever tee the majority of the rest of the group is playing from ... in an effort to speed up play. Golf is slow enough as it is. But with one guy playing the tips, two guys from the middle & one up front ... that just adds to the slow play. Especially with some of these longer courses (7000+ yards) that the distances between tee boxes can be outrageous.

Most of my rounds fall between 5600 and 6200 yards.

I always play the whites. Too old to play from the tips!

Back