Which way to turn?

Carl, is that net a GoSports net??

Carl, is that net a GoSports net??
I think so, I use it in my backyard quite a bit. I just pulled it in for the winter and left it setup. :LOL:

I think so, I use it in my backyard quite a bit. I just pulled it in for the winter and left it setup. :LOL:

Not to hijack your thread here, but good god get it away from that window! I have the same net I use with my Skytrak and I have probably 400 balls into it and iv blown through it already! Bam, hole in the wall. They are replacing it, but when I saw that I was like ohhhhhhh F!

For me, it's inside takeaway along the blue line and hit down on the left-front of the ball. The two drills that helped me were the two-ball drill (place another range ball about 2 inches in front of your normal ball and try to hit it) and keeping my entire swing inside a club laid about 8 inches outside of the ball. Shifting weight left on short irons and wedges helps to.

It's made me more consistent with my irons, but I am still fighting a 50-50 slice with my driver.
IMO the only way to eliminate the slice (out to in clubhead path) is to change your intent:
from top of BS, intend to sweep the clubface under the inside quadrant of the ball.

cheers

Did you start lifting your left heel without realizing it?
I was caught doing that many years ago, and just not doing it was an instant fix.
It's a balance killer.

Did you start lifting your left heel without realizing it?
I was caught doing that many years ago, and just not doing it was an instant fix.
It's a balance killer.

This actually helps me.....it gets me a little more turn and also when my heal comes down it helps me come back to my left side

This actually helps me.....it gets me a little more turn and also when my heal comes down it helps me come back to my left side
It kills me much more than the reduced backswing does.
Of course we're all a little different.

Still, if you try the flat left heel and find that you stay on plane much better,
which is what happened with me,
you can decide if it's worth it or not.

No, sorry they emphasize what he's doing. I have no clue where that move came from. I was saying I knew they were pushing drills to help but I couldn't translate it to my actual swing
Sir- here is an easy fix for you - next time you hit balls i want you to ” hold “ the grip with ONLY your dominant right hand and hit a few easy shots onehanded only ! If you have decent hand - eye coordination ( as it appears you do ) I suspect you might be surprised how well you can hit it. Your “ dominant right hand “ will automatically tell you what position it should be to best propel that ball and it will also direct it’s dummies / puppets ( shoulders , torso , hips , legs ) where it should rotate to best accommodate the lever you are going to form with you “ dominant hand “ .
If you try this and feel like you have your levers in the best position where the shaft feels it’s lightest at the top ( kinda like swinging an axe trying to chop a log laying on the ground parallel with your left foot ) then you have your BS forever and ever and you can proceed by placing your “ left “ hand lightly on the grip and proceed with playing golf.
The BS is not complicated, never has been and never will be . We humans work very hard to complicate things. Just place the face back there behind you in a position that allows you to “”” PULL “”” the face into the inside quadrant of the ball . Your turning / rotating inner circle ( torso ) will take care of squaring the face .
Clear your mind - keep it simple !

Not to hijack your thread here, but good god get it away from that window! I have the same net I use with my Skytrak and I have probably 400 balls into it and iv blown through it already! Bam, hole in the wall. They are replacing it, but when I saw that I was like ohhhhhhh F!
I only hit foam or wiffles into it, and it's only there to collect them and because I didn't want to break it down. I'm not brave enough to hit an actual ball into it inside. I've seen the deflection outside to know it's not suitable for that.

@Qwkz51 check out Martin Hall's School of Golf episode on Body Movement from this fall, "Critical Body Moves" he goes over the full turn and has some good drills to work on. It's available for me on Xfinity on Demand and is on Golf pass also I think.

I only hit foam or wiffles into it, and it's only there to collect them and because I didn't want to break it down. I'm not brave enough to hit an actual ball into it inside. I've seen the deflection outside to know it's not suitable for that.
Sir - another way to look at the BS . If I asked you to grasp a club with your dominant hand “ only “ and throw the club as far as you could , would you need someone to tell you - uh , start turning / rotating your shoulders first - then , uh - your hips second and uh- then your legs last you probably would’t be able to move.
If I didn’t say anything I expect you would easily “pull “ the entire shaft back around somewhere behind you with your your “ dominant hands” to put it in a position / plane / that would give you the best chance to propel it as far as you could.
Same thing applies in the golf swing. Why do some want to make it so difficult to play this great game? The human body will “””””””
always position itself to accommodate the path it’s dominant hands desire to travel !”””””

Backswing - here you go. Don't need to think about backswing - a little momentum provided by body

Backswing - here you go. Don't need to think about backswing - a little momentum provided by body

Maybe their are some 40 year olds who need someone to teach them how to walk . I just don’t know who does . Ever noticed how much these guys constantly move their dominant hands to illustrate as they talk . Hmmm - could it be their “ hands “ are their external brains and are coordinated with the brain to emphasize what they are saying ?

Maybe their are some 40 year olds who need someone to teach them how to walk . I just don’t know who does . Ever noticed how much these guys constantly move their dominant hands to illustrate as they talk . Hmmm - could it be their “ hands “ are their external brains and are coordinated with the brain to emphasize what they are saying ?

I think it's easier to start the backswing moving the hips - no thought required - hands get to top in a relaxed manner and you don't think about a turn - it just happens naturally.

And as you complete the turn, the weight goes to your lead foot easily. Then the hands take over.

And as the backswing goes faster and you grow in confidence I found you gain swing speed.

If the spine is pointed behind the left heel at address. ie fart behind the left heel
its one extra move eliminated. (hips only move from feet, ankles, knees and legs.)
Moe Norman's right hip was oriented properly before he started his BS. 28:50 Moe rolled his ankles to move his hips.

Last edited:
With some introspection, I took a few tips from this thread today and stepped out to hit a few balls both with driver and irons in the backyard. Low and behold I hit 6 balls and the flight was more in line with what I had historically been seeing :D. Looking forward to getting a full range day before I can say I'm back but I'm pretty pleased with what I saw today. Thank you for all the tips, I'll update when I get to the range.

Took the opportunity of some nice 55* weather to just go and play and try some of the stuff I've been working on based on tips here. Clearly didn't hit every shot great... but it was nice to see a straightish and given the conditions decent length on my ball flight. I even hit a 4i off a hillside to about 5ft for a birdie on 17. I still have plenty to work on but this was close to my best round in a year- year and a half. 20211221_140229.jpg

I believe that's a step in the right direction sir!

Back