• Cobra MIM

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

ThatGuy

US Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Handicap
Nope
I recently got fitted for custom golf clubs and I'm getting a TaylorMade SIM Max Driver (10.5), Callaway MAVRIK 5W, TaylorMade SIM Max Hybrid 4i, Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, and a Cleveland CBX2 56* SW. I don't know much about Cleveland clubs and haven't paid much attention to them. I'm most interested in TaylorMade and Callaway clubs though so I'm curious.

Which wedges do you like more?
- TaylorMade MG2
- Callaway JAWS MD5
- Cleveland CBX2
- PING Glide
- Titleist Vokey
- Cobra MIM

Last edited:
I have used several different wedges, from several OEMs and the performance of the Cleveland CBX2, IMHO, is outstanding. To be fair, it could be the forgiveness that inspires confidence. But whatever it is my short game is improving.

Where's the Vokey option?

Jaws for the win.

If forced to pick out of those three, MD5... but what's in my bag is Vokey

Of those I like the MG2 the best. I also play Vokey's though.

I recently got fitted for custom golf clubs and I'm getting a TaylorMade SIM Max Driver (10.5), Callaway MAVRIK 5W, TaylorMade SIM Max Hybrid 4i, Callaway Apex Irons 5-AW, and a Cleveland CBX2 56* SW. I don't know much about Cleveland clubs and haven't paid much attention to them. I'm most interested in TaylorMade and Callaway clubs though so I'm curious.

Which wedges do you like more?
- TaylorMade MG2
- Callaway JAWS MD5
- Cleveland CBX2
Welcome to THP.

Tough one there. Cleveland is #1 for me. More simple grind options, but I think they have a LOT of people covered with them, and the shafts Iike.
They usually do a great job with their grinds and versatility/playability/forgiveness/grooves/feel.

TM lotta options with those, and $99 I see. Not bad. Have a hard time committing to TM sometimes as I don't know how long any model will be with them and provide a logical progression forward. No experience.

The Callys is the hosel really big on those? The online pic I saw it looked larger than the others? Maybe because it looks like the shortest hosel of the three mentioned? They went a little "Scotty Cameron" with all the drilling and paintfill. Drilling to me says the head weights weren't right to begin with.
Or why do it if not customizing CG in doing so?(y)

Tough one there. Cleveland is #1 for me. More simple grind options, but I think they have a LOT of people covered with them, and the shafts Iike.
They usually do a great job with their grinds and versatility/playability/forgiveness/grooves/feel.

The Cleveland CBX2 wedge does not have grind options. Their tagline for it is "choose your loft and the grind takes care of itself".

All of which feature a wide sole to go along with the perimeter weighted design.

Do yourself a favor and check out some of the other wedges suggested here. I especially like the Ping Glides.

Honestly, you are comparing apples and oranges. The Callaway and Taylormade wedges you listed aren't Cavity Back wedges, which the Clevelands are. The Cleveland RTX wedges would be a more apples-to-apples comparison, or compare the Cleveland CBX2 to the new Callaway Mack Daddy CB.

Personally, I'm a big fan of all the Cleveland wedges, have both CBX2 and RTX4 in the bag, and will be testing an RTX ZipCore soon.

Why aren't the Vokey's part of the mix? :unsure:

I've played Callaway wedges most of the last 10 years and I think they're among the best. Currently, I'm playing Cobra though and I think the MIM wedges might be my favorite clubs I've ever hit.

Ping Glide has made huge improvements to my wedge game. Played the SM7 vokeys previously. Great if I put a good strike on the ball. Punished me if I didn’t. Also not great out of bunkers. Tried the CBX 2 during a fitting. Didn’t like the feel. Have no experience with the other 3.

I have never hit any of them except for the titleist.
So basing this solely off of looks I'd choose the callaway jaws md5.
I don't know the logistics of each wedge needed or what so..

Big fan of the Jaws wedges.

I've only hit Cleveland wedges in a CG16 56* and a 58* RTX4. I like them especially the RTX4.

Surprised! Honestly how can anyone pick any club on list but Vokeys - best look, great performance, grind and sole options and used by Thomas and other best wedge players - Cleveland maybe a far off 2nd, but others cannot in any fashion stand up to Vokeys IMO?

Surprised! Honestly how can anyone pick any club on list but Vokeys - best look, great performance, grind and sole options and used by Thomas and other best wedge players - Cleveland maybe a far off 2nd, but others cannot in any fashion stand up to Vokeys IMO?

Interesting. While I like Vokey's I could not disagree more with this. Lots of great options on the market currently.
Best wedge players in the world? I would assume Mickelson would be on that, right?

Surprised! Honestly how can anyone pick any club on list but Vokeys - best look, great performance, grind and sole options and used by Thomas and other best wedge players -

Justin Thomas also uses blades. Maybe I should be using those too.

Vokeys =

Most overlooked wedges out there are the Mizuno T20's. Good selection of lofts, bounce and 3 different grinds with some great groove design.

Back