Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Driver

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Both

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 34 28.3%

• Total voters
I said neither. No single golf club is worth $500.
This is a good point.. The Cobra drivers the last 2 years have been as good or better than anything else on the market and are cheaper.. Should I change my vote?

I gotta go with a driver. I can putt bad with anything.

Maybe either club is important enough in the game of golf to warrant that kind of money. But when last year's model is 99.9% as effective at 40% of the price, and other clubs at far less with a few more years on them, there is no way in Hell I'd ever lay out $500 for any club.

Yeah I would for both. My driver I paid extra to get the colors customized to match a one of a kind shaft.

I’m not currently in the market for a putter but would pay the money for something like garage customization.

My 8 year old putter still works fine. Gets the ball in the hole or very close to it. I just put a new grip on it. Would a new putter help me? I doubt it. Putting is about finding the speed and reading the line.

Driver? The tech really hasn't changed that much. Drivers supposedly have gotten more forgiving... supposedly.

I keep thinking about the depreciation of clubs. The high end putter is probably the better investment.. Unless you beat the crap out of it

I keep thinking about the depreciation of clubs. The high end putter is probably the better investment.. Unless you beat the crap out of it
Thinking in terms of investment, I'm sure you're right. A high-end custom putter is going to bring a better price 5 years later than a 5-year old driver will. The 5-year old driver will be selling for pennies on the dollar.

Thinking in terms of investment, I'm sure you're right. A high-end custom putter is going to bring a better price 5 years later than a 5-year old driver will. The 5-year old driver will be selling for pennies on the dollar.
This was my exact train of thought but I think most are willing to spend more on driver which is crazy

This was my exact train of thought but I think most are willing to spend more on driver which is crazy
I may be the exception, but I never think in terms of resale when it comes to golf gear (or any of my hobbies, for that matter). I don't think I've ever sold an old club - I either keep them around, pay them forward to friends or donate them once I'm done with them. But then again, I don't buy high-end custom stuff that retains its value like that either, so maybe that's why. :)

Neither for me. Would think I could get a very good driver and putter used for that much money. Usually don't have that much in my whole bag.

Neither for me. Would think I could get a very good driver and putter used for that much money. Usually don't have that much in my whole bag.
This is what usually gets me. I like the new and shiny but it can be expensive if you keep buying sets.

New putter, please!!

I’m an asst mgr in a course pro shop during the summer and we have a hard time selling putters over $300 but no problem with drivers over $600. We’ve had a gorgeous Scotty in the shop for almost 4 years already. I even try to explain that putter strokes per round is triple the number of driver shots at least for an average golfer.

I’m an asst mgr in a course pro shop during the summer and we have a hard time selling putters over $300 but no problem with drivers over $600. We’ve had a gorgeous Scotty in the shop for almost 4 years already. I even try to explain that putter strokes per round is triple the number of driver shots at least for an average golfer.
But the chicks dig the long ball... Lol. You are demonstrating my point perfectly and sadly I fall for that trapping myself. Why is it easier to justify the expense on a driver when you use the putter so many times more in a round..

I will say a $600 driver is better functionally than a $200 driver.
That isn't necessarily the case with putters.

I spent $500 on TM M5 this past season. Went back to my original home course where I played 100's of rounds and I am still driving to the exact spots where I used to hit my old TM Tour Preferred metal driver over 20 years ago. Is spending $500 on a new driver every year really worth it?

The feel, the sexy curves, the.... Uh wait, what were we talking about??
Oh I remember now. Putters. Mmmm :love:

You hit driver 14 times in 18 holes, you putt every hole. Putter.

I don't think I could justify it. The most I have ever spent on a single golf purchase was my Taylormade Rsi1 Irons and the whole set was under $400. Would be tough to drop 5 Hunjj on a single stick.

Reactions: Ooo
I want to say driver, but putter is used more often.

I just spent $600 on a new set irons & that was HUGE for me, so my budget for the year is pretty well gone.

Go to Ben Hogan Golf and get both. With 10% off coupon code from one of the brand ambassadors on IG, would stay within budget and get two great clubs.

Driver, being in play off the tee is more important to me.

I can find a putter worth much less than $500 that I can putt average with.

Can't imagine buying a better putting game, or every pro would do that

I'm definitely going putter here. I'm set for drivers, and I've never actually been fit for a putter, only played one that I liked the roll, feel and look of. So definitely a fitting, and then the putter.

Back