Who else has dealt with tennis or golf elbow?

DGA3

Reaction score
Handicap
And what are the best ways you have found to deal with it?

I developed tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) twice last year. The first time I stopped playing for 3 weeks and did some rehab that I learned about on YouTube (Theraband Flexbar, stretching, cross-fiber massage). After that, I worked my way back slowly: first just putting and chipping. Then, 10 half-swing shots on the range and more putting and chipping. Finally, I gradually worked my way up to a normal range session and playing 18 holes without pain or injury.

Everything was fine for about 2 months and then suddenly - with one swing of the driver - it came back. No warning like soreness or anything; just "boing." It felt like a guitar string breaking. :mad:

This was last October. I have not played golf since (mainly because of the winter cold and our course currently has temporary greens) and again have been doing lots of self-prescribed therapy. The Ortho doc I have seen a couple of times just says to rest it. He doesn't think any of the strengthening exercises work, but there are many, many docs and PT's on the internet that do, so I'm going to continue doing my self therapy (it can only help and can't hurt, right?).

I've asked around on a couple of golf websites about how others have dealt with this problem, and the biggest answer I have received is to switch my irons from steel to graphite shafts. By far, this has been the most popular suggestion. The second was shock-absorbing grips.

I think I will convert my irons to this combination before the golf season, which starts around April, and I'm hoping to play "tennis-elbow free" all year. 🤞 I have found a fitter about an hour from me who I can work with to hook me up with the proper graphite shaft for my ever-slowing (with age) swing, so I am trying to be optimistic.

In addition, I have one of those forearm straps that supposedly takes some of the pressure off of the tendon attachment at the elbow, but I'm not sure how much it actually helps. In fact, it may have contributed to my 2nd injury because I wore it really, really tight. Some PT's say the strap only masks the problem and does not help with healing, so I don't know if I will use it. I'm thinking maybe for my range warmup, but not during actual play on the course.

For those who have dealt with this problem, what words of wisdom can you pass my way? I would appreciate any help you could give me, because it would be very depressing if I could never play golf again!

I'm currently working through this issue myself. I have just switched to graphite Iron Shafts, got a better hitting mat for my practice in my basement setup. I also have a compression ice sleeve from TheraIce that I wear after practicing/playing that helps. And I work on stretching and use my Theragun mini while doing the Theragun routine recommended for Golfers/Tennis elbow which seems to help. My pain seems to be decreasing but not going away completely. Hopefully it will.

i did. switched to graphite last september, and have barely had a flare-up since. i firmly believe this also helped my wrists move more freely because no longer had the fear/hesitation of pain after repeated impact.

I've dealt with this the past 3 years. As TWright said above, switching to graphite shafts lessened the load on the elbow and I always wear a compression band when swinging a club. Last spring, went to Top Golf with the wife and it was like you said, first swing it felt like a guitar string broke. (Very sharp pain) Ended up going to physical therapy for about three months. That worked so now I make sure to do stretching exercises for that area 3 times a week. You can find good stretches on YouTube. Good Luck!

Graphite shafts definitely help. If the pain is gone while I am not a doctor I definitely think strengthening helps. I have had tennis elbow and prescribed PT for it. Once the pain was gone theraband flexbar exercises helped.

I've dealt with this the past 3 years. As TWright said above, switching to graphite shafts lessened the load on the elbow and I always wear a compression band when swinging a club. Last spring, went to Top Golf with the wife and it was like you said, first swing it felt like a guitar string broke. (Very sharp pain) Ended up going to physical therapy for about three months. That worked so now I make sure to do stretching exercises for that area 3 times a week. You can find good stretches on YouTube. Good Luck!

Physical therapy was prescribed for me as well. Our first "session" was 1 hour of talking/discussion. By the time we were finished, the PT said that I didn't need to come back anymore because I was already doing all of the right things! :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I developed tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) twice last year. The first time I stopped playing for 3 weeks and did some rehab that I learned about on YouTube (Theraband Flexbar, stretching, cross-fiber massage). After that, I worked my way back slowly: first just putting and chipping. Then, 10 half-swing shots on the range and more putting and chipping. Finally, I gradually worked my way up to a normal range session and playing 18 holes without pain or injury.

Everything was fine for about 2 months and then suddenly - with one swing of the driver - it came back. No warning like soreness or anything; just "boing." It felt like a guitar string breaking. :mad:

This was last October. I have not played golf since (mainly because of the winter cold and our course currently has temporary greens) and again have been doing lots of self-prescribed therapy. The Ortho doc I have seen a couple of times just says to rest it. He doesn't think any of the strengthening exercises work, but there are many, many docs and PT's on the internet that do, so I'm going to continue doing my self therapy (it can only help and can't hurt, right?).

I've asked around on a couple of golf websites about how others have dealt with this problem, and the biggest answer I have received is to switch my irons from steel to graphite shafts. By far, this has been the most popular suggestion. The second was shock-absorbing grips.

I think I will convert my irons to this combination before the golf season, which starts around April, and I'm hoping to play "tennis-elbow free" all year. 🤞 I have found a fitter about an hour from me who I can work with to hook me up with the proper graphite shaft for my ever-slowing (with age) swing, so I am trying to be optimistic.

In addition, I have one of those forearm straps that supposedly takes some of the pressure off of the tendon attachment at the elbow, but I'm not sure how much it actually helps. In fact, it may have contributed to my 2nd injury because I wore it really, really tight. Some PT's say the strap only masks the problem and does not help with healing, so I don't know if I will use it. I'm thinking maybe for my range warmup, but not during actual play on the course.

For those who have dealt with this problem, what words of wisdom can you pass my way? I would appreciate any help you could give me, because it would be very depressing if I could never play golf again!
Yep, got it bad when I was hitting balls off of a non-forgiving mat. I used an elbow brace to isolate the tendon and it worked extremely well for me. Other than that, there's a few rollers I used to relieve the pain when it got very bad

Theraband flexbar is what I used and here's a video of the exercises

IMO the best thing you can do is consistently get ice on it as quickly as possible.

After each round or practice session, I wear a compression sleeve (for ~15-20 min.) that is designed to be kept in the freezer. It really helps to keep everything under control.

Just search for one of these on Amazon; they are $16: Asani Compression Ice Pack Sleeve.

Not sure what advice I can add. Have had it for about a year now and just keep myself on a shot count when practicing. It is quite mild now but I have been told a couple times there isn't much you can do but wait for it to heal. Unfortunately I'm not willing to stop hitting balls for months so I will really with the mild symptoms I currently have.

My rehab for tennis elbow - not caused by golf, but same injury:

In office (2x a week for 6 weeks):
Heat for 10-15 minutes
Stretches of everything from forearm to pectoral muscles - usually took about 15 minutes
Massage of the area - deep, evil massage.

Out of office:
Stretch forearms and wear a wrist brace. The wrist brace was the biggest surprise, but damn if it didn't work. The doc said the band that most people wear actually tends to cause nerve damage.

My recommendation - go see an ortho doc, or a PT and get on whatever plan they say to get on.

I had severe soreness on the outside of my left elbow (right-handed). I stopped playing golf for several weeks and the problem went away. I do not recommend that approach. Lots of good advice previously posted. I think the best course of action is to see a health care professional and develop a plan.

Any Ortho doc that says therapy exercises don't work throws up the run away sign and it's time to find a new dr. Those guys just want to cut on people to make more money. I say that as someone who works in the field and has encountered that kind of dr many times.

I dealt with this for over 2 years, I had multiple shots and therapy sessions. If it won't go away it could possibly be torn. I would go see an ortho doctor. Luckily mine has the opinion of surgery as a last resort. As I said above he gave me the shots, prescribed the PT and when it wouldn't go away, then we did the MRI and there we found the tear. Surgery and PT and about a year later my elbow felt really good.

I had tennis elbow bad from baseball
I did a lot of soft tissue work and a lot of heavy eccentric lifting, loading the triceps

I deal with this off and on throughout the year depending on how much I golf. Best things that have helped me is using the forearm band while playing or doing anything physical. Stretching it daily, a lot of the stretches in the video that was posted above. Ice and heat daily as well. Also try to limit other movements that use those same muscles/tendons. Hitting off of mats also seems to not be a good thing. Doing the above usually helps me a lot, its weird as sometimes it just is gone and then appears again.

This has been my issue since November. Elbow compression sleeve, and Theragun with the super soft attachment has been a pretty helpful combo.

Curls. you need to do curls at the gym or at home. Does not have to be heavy but you need to do them and do high reps. You need to isolate as much as you can and do slow controlled reps. Trust me it helps big time.

I dealt with this for over 2 years, I had multiple shots and therapy sessions. If it won't go away it could possibly be torn. I would go see an ortho doctor. Luckily mine has the opinion of surgery as a last resort. As I said above he gave me the shots, prescribed the PT and when it wouldn't go away, then we did the MRI and there we found the tear. Surgery and PT and about a year later my elbow felt really good.

I asked two different Ortho's (I went to a different guy one time for a second opinion) if it could be a tear, because both times there was no warning that anything was going to happen (like soreness or aching after playing). Both times it felt like a guitar string snapping, with pain and swelling following. I asked the docs if instant pain can also be a result of tennis elbow, and they both said yes.

Currently there is absolutely no pain, and I am looking forward to starting up again this spring with graphite shafts. However, I am very apprehensive that from out of nowhere, without warning, I once again will experience the "instant guitar string snap" and injury. I've done a lot of PT and feel prepared, but I am nervous! :eek:

Sort of dealt with this a few years back. Thankfully... it didn’t persist too long. It’s a bad thing for a golfer!

If your tennis/golfer elbow becomes chronic take a look online at Tenex health. Could be what you need.

@blugold has had some thoughts on this somewhere that helped me in the past, but I can't find what I'm looking for right now. I'm pretty certain it involved curls.

I lost almost an entire season to tennis elbow. Graphite shafts helped a lot, but in reality it was more a combo of lots of stretches and exercises and the forearm band.

One of my co-workers shared this vid with me, which was recommended to him by his doc when he was diagnosed with tennis elbow also. These went a long way to helping me out.

Manual manipulations of the elbow, forearm, and wrist, Kinesio-taping, muscle balancing, soft tissue work. If there is a kinetic chain problem, changing shafts will do nothing for you, a little for the one who sells them to you.

Any Ortho doc that says therapy exercises don't work throws up the run away sign and it's time to find a new dr. Those guys just want to cut on people to make more money. I say that as someone who works in the field and has encountered that kind of dr many times.
Like going to an auto dealership to buy a dog. What Ortho doctors learn is to cut, maybe. They don't like to massage, tape, teach exercises, or really follow up with the patient. Too busy scheduling their next invasive surgery.

@blugold has had some thoughts on this somewhere that helped me in the past, but I can't find what I'm looking for right now. I'm pretty certain it involved curls.
Yup.

This is not a "wait for it to get better" approach. This is a "make it better so it doesn't come back" approach.

You do a set submaximal set of chin ups After the set take a short walk. Do that 20 times. Twice a week. In three weeks, it will be gone!

If you can do chin ups, heavy lat pull downs or just heavy enough barbell curls work too.

This will hurt really bad, but that means it's working. It's going to hurt you a lot more than you can hurt it.

Back