Do they have air shins now?

I've purchased a few boots in my life - Hansen, Salomon, etc. They did the heat/memory thing. I needed boots that kept my shins against the front of the boot - moguls and epic crashes due to lack of forward shins - and I did have a former Aspen ski instructor help me - he was an alcoholic - but knowledgeable. Didn't ask him what he did the previous night. The only time I had personal lessons in skiing. The remainder were classes. Skiing down the face of Ajax to the bars was scenic and tough work. But the scenery and drinks inside were first class.:ROFLMAO:
I don’t know about all that stuff, LOL. The husband of our operations manager works for Rossignol and can get equipment for 40% of retail price. She kindly offered to get me set up through him. The boots, skis and bindings were $400. I will admit that my shins were a little sore, so what you are describing has merit, but I doubt I will ski more than 5 times per year, so this equipment seemed fantastic for me needs, particularly for the price.

I don’t know about all that stuff, LOL. The husband of our operations manager works for Rossignol and can get equipment for 40% of retail price. She kindly offered to get me set up through him. The boots, skis and bindings were $400. I will admit that my shins were a little sore, so what you are describing has merit, but I doubt I will ski more than 5 times per year, so this equipment seemed fantastic for me needs, particularly for the price.

That's a heckuva deal.

I was half-joking about the shin stuff - but mine were usually sore after a long day - and that's a good thing. It means my shins were where they needed to be.

My fear of going again was my open heart surgery - 11 years ago - less oxygen is not good. Any time it is cold, the first 15 minutes are tough - you can feel your body attempting to adjust. And then there is the left knee - where does cartilage go? Would need a stable brace.

That's a heckuva deal.

I was half-joking about the shin stuff - but mine were usually sore after a long day - and that's a good thing. It means my shins were where they needed to be.

My fear of going again was my open heart surgery - 11 years ago - less oxygen is not good. Any time it is cold, the first 15 minutes are tough - you can feel your body attempting to adjust. And then there is the left knee - where does cartilage go? Would need a stable brace.
I am grateful that fate has left me very healthy, thus far. I surely don’t feel the same at 60 that I did at 50, but I can do whatever I want and just have to deal with soreness.

I am grateful that fate has left me very healthy, thus far. I surely don’t feel the same at 60 that I did at 50, but I can do whatever I want and just have to deal with soreness.

Well, I'm on a kettlebells and rowing program to get some endurance back. I noticed that on the back 9, about the 15th hole and walking, fatigue sets in. Skiing at this time, would be hell. :ROFLMAO: Good luck and enjoy!

I skiied in my 20s and 30s, Big Bear was a short trip and we went up there a lot. Haven't done it in a long time and my tolerance for the cold has decreased over the years.

Well considers what you constitute as a skier? I mean I come flying down the hill & end up doing this...

That looks like me the one time I let a friend sucker me into trying a black diamond run with lots of moguls. I ended up at the bottom of the hill in a heap and the slope behind me looked like a yard sale! :ROFLMAO: Skis, poles, gloves, hat, goggles scattered all over the place, and my friends howling in laughter so hard they almost couldn't breathe.

I skiied in my 20s and 30s, Big Bear was a short trip and we went up there a lot. Haven't done it in a long time and my tolerance for the cold has decreased over the years.

That looks like me the one time I let a friend sucker me into trying a black diamond run with lots of moguls. I ended up at the bottom of the hill in a heap and the slope behind me looked like a yard sale! :ROFLMAO: Skis, poles, gloves, hat, goggles scattered all over the place, and my friends howling in laughter so hard they almost couldn't breathe.
Some of the hills looked much steeper yesterday than they did 30 plus years ago. Have the mountains grown?

I used to go every year to Colorado skiing, but it's been a long time. I've been to a local ski hill north of KC a few times, but I'd love to get back on a mountain sometime.

I like skiing but cannot stop. 😂

Dude that’s scary.

Used to be a big downhill skier when the boys were still living at home. Skied multiple times out at Whistler, Banff, Vermont, Quebec but a lot in upper NY around Lake Placid area cause we could drive and with 4 of us skiing was most economical. Must admit haven’t skied in over 10 years as my better half has had foot problems requiring surgery the past 3 winters.

Was hoping to get out to a small hill nearby this winter to dust off cobwebs but all ski hills are now shut down as we are in lockdown until end of January at the earliest. We did buy snow shoes for Christmas and went on a 30 minute trial walk through the forest behind our place. Next weekend we’ll venture out to some of the local trails.

@Tenputt your outing today looked like great fun, beautiful mountain....very happy for you to have the opportunity. When we used to ski the big mountains I could not survive without a good hot tub at the end of the day otherwise I would be a cripple the next day. Have to get the muscles all flushed out 😜.

Used to be a big downhill skier when the boys were still living at home. Skied multiple times out at Whistler, Banff, Vermont, Quebec but a lot in upper NY around Lake Placid area cause we could drive and with 4 of us skiing was most economical. Must admit haven’t skied in over 10 years as my better half has had foot problems requiring surgery the past 3 winters.

Was hoping to get out to a small hill nearby this winter to dust off cobwebs but all ski hills are now shut down as we are in lockdown until end of January at the earliest. We did buy snow shoes for Christmas and went on a 30 minute trial walk through the forest behind our place. Next weekend we’ll venture out to some of the local trails.

@Tenputt your outing today looked like great fun, beautiful mountain....very happy for you to have the opportunity. When we used to ski the big mountains I could not survive without a good hot tub at the end of the day otherwise I would be a cripple the next day. Have to get the muscles all flushed out 😜.
We had the bright idea once of doing a three-day ski trip when we hadn't been skiing regularly and weren't really in shape for it. First day was great, second day we were pretty stiff and achy, and by the third day our legs were like rubber and we could hardly move!

I used to be but now I just ski or snowboard sometimes.

Im glad you were able to get out there today.

I used to ski a ton. All through Childhood I was on the ski team at China Peak. We would go to Tahoe a couple times a year. When I moved to the Bay Area I went to Tahoe almost every weekend with my Uncle.

I skied through college and my 20s and had a couple 40 day years. I messed up my knee and had surgery when I was 30 and missed the season. Got a season pass the next year and it was a terrible snow year and only got 3 days in between late season start and work. Hurt my knee again the next year and had surgery. Kind of quit at that point. Haven't skied since my daughter was born 6 years ago.

Part of it is it is just too darn expensive.

I used to be but now I just ski or snowboard sometimes.

Im glad you were able to get out there today.
I always wanted to try snowboarding, but never got around to it. We'd head up there and I'd fully have the intention to rent a snowboard and do a quick class to learn how to do it, then we'd get there and I'd think "I already have my skis and why waste time learning how to snowboard when I could just go ski all day instead?". It does look like a lot of fun, though.

I always wanted to try snowboarding, but never got around to it. We'd head up there and I'd fully have the intention to rent a snowboard and do a quick class to learn how to do it, then we'd get there and I'd think "I already have my skis and why waste time learning how to snowboard when I could just go ski all day instead?". It does look like a lot of fun, though.

If you have never snowboarded prepare to have the most exciting day of your life. It was the scariest feeling I’ve had in a long time picking back up a few years ago.

When you are 16-18 nothing matters. When you are close to 40 it’s a whole new world

I went snowboarding a couple times over the Christmas/New Years time off. I usually go a few times a year but will be doing it more this year as it is something that I can still do during the pandemic. It does do a number on my not so great knees but almost everything does these days.

I used to ski a ton. All through Childhood I was on the ski team at China Peak. We would go to Tahoe a couple times a year. When I moved to the Bay Area I went to Tahoe almost every weekend with my Uncle.

I skied through college and my 20s and had a couple 40 day years. I messed up my knee and had surgery when I was 30 and missed the season. Got a season pass the next year and it was a terrible snow year and only got 3 days in between late season start and work. Hurt my knee again the next year and had surgery. Kind of quit at that point. Haven't skied since my daughter was born 6 years ago.

Part of it is it is just too darn expensive.
No kidding on the expense. We are very lucky in Northern Utah to have 11 resorts near by. One day lift tickets can range between $150 and $200. It is much more expensive than golf.

I survived it yesterday and had a fantastic time. The first run was humorous and made me wonder if I had made a good choice, but then it started coming back. I am looking forward to going again.

View attachment 8986200

It looks like you had a great day! Skiing is by far the thing I really miss most about our time in CA. When we lived in NorCal from 1998-2018 I was only 70 minutes from the nearest ski area and I used to blow off work all the time on powder days and get in several hours of fresh tracks and be home before dinner. My boss never knew the difference, lol. My powder skis have been sitting idle for 2 years now but I'm determined to get them on the snow out West this winter!! Believe it or not, I'm more of a ski equipment junkie than I am with golf equipment . :)

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.18.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-03 at 5.18.36 PM.png

Last edited:
If you have never snowboarded prepare to have the most exciting day of your life. It was the scariest feeling I’ve had in a long time picking back up a few years ago.

When you are 16-18 nothing matters. When you are close to 40 it’s a whole new world
As I mentioned at the start of this thread, I had not been skiing for over 30 years. Snowboarding did not exit when I was an avid skier. Now, most of you younger folks snowboard. Having just turned 60, I watched snowboarders for the first time and had no desire to try it. My day for that has passed. 😂

It looks like you had a great day! Skiing is by far the thing I really miss most about our time in CA. When we lived in NorCAl from 1998-2018 I was only 70 minutes from the nearest ski area and I used to blow off work all the time on powder days and get in several hours of fresh tracks and be home before dinner. My boss never knew the difference, lol. My powder skis have been sitting idle for 2 years now but I'm determined to get them on the snow out West this winter!! Believe it or not, I'm more of a ski equipment junkie than I am with golf equipment . :)

View attachment 8986302View attachment 8986303
I was very impressed when I read your earlier post about the number of days you spend on the slopes. Those pics are awesome. I am really glad that I picked this back up. It is really ridiculous that I had not already done it. We are a world renowned ski resort destination and I am lucky to have something like this so readily available.

I survived it yesterday and had a fantastic time. The first run was humorous and made me wonder if I had made a good choice, but then it started coming back. I am looking forward to going again.

View attachment 8986200View attachment 8986201View attachment 8986202View attachment 8986203
That looks like a beautiful spot! Glad to hear you were able to get out and had a good time! Inspiring, really. I might have to dust off the old snowboard and get to the hill before I go back to work...

I’m a snowboarder. Haven’t ridden as much the last few years but hope to get up there more frequently soon. My son is 3 and almost to the age where I want him to give it a shot, hopefully next year. Few things I love more than a long day bombing a mountain.

I snow and water ski. Until 4 years ago I was still a competitive water skier. I still ski a slalom course for fun but haven’t skied a tournament in 5 years. I have snow skied my whole life and am capable of snowboarding also but I haven’t snowboarded in 10 years or so. I generally get 10-20 days on snow in a season mostly in New England with a trip to the west thrown in. Last winter it was Vail and the previous winter two trips to Park City. At 54 I can still get down pretty much anything including bumps but I don’t jump off stuff anymore I keep my skis on the snow. My ideal retirement would include a condo out west in addition to our beach house on the east coast. My wife doesn’t like skiing enough for that to happen though.

No kidding on the expense. We are very lucky in Northern Utah to have 11 resorts near by. One day lift tickets can range between $150 and $200. It is much more expensive than golf.

wow, I'm set back by the cost. In 2001 I was buying season passes at the CO resorts for about $350. Daily pass at Vail back then was about $80.

I picked up skiing in college and came to love it. Took most of my vacations traveling to Utah, Montana and CO to ski. Then I got the opportunity to move to Denver and I skiied any weekend I wanted.

Then I got married and had childern so I was forced to choose my hobbies and I limited it to just a few fishing trips each winter to fish. Honestly did not play 5 rounds a year during that period either. I could ski now but honestly I'd want your setup. Go one day without any travel overhead.

I snow and water ski. Until 4 years ago I was still a competitive water skier. I still ski a slalom course for fun but haven’t skied a tournament in 5 years. I have snow skied my whole life and am capable of snowboarding also but I haven’t snowboarded in 10 years or so. I generally get 10-20 days on snow in a season mostly in New England with a trip to the west thrown in. Last winter it was Vail and the previous winter two trips to Park City. At 54 I can still get down pretty much anything including bumps but I don’t jump off stuff anymore I keep my skis on the snow. My ideal retirement would include a condo out west in addition to our beach house on the east coast. My wife doesn’t like skiing enough for that to happen though.

I’d love to get a condo out west for retirement and ski 40-50 days each winter but my wife also doesn’t like skiing that much. The best I can normally do is two or three trips out west each winter and try to get in 15-20 days where we can churn out 35,000 feet of vertical each day. Right now I ski in Minnesota a dozen or more days each winter but the vertical drops leave a lot to be desired especially after having season passes at Squaw/Kirkwood/Northstar/Heavenly from 1998-2018. The skiing is the one thing I miss about living in CA.

We are heading up to the north shore of Lake Superior for a long ski weekend in March with another family. Covid has made it a lot more difficult for me to get out west on a ski trip this year but next year things should be back to normal.

01787FB9-F35A-4E04-BED5-661844B4822C.jpeg57AA361A-7122-4854-B545-305EE7D1B824.jpeg

I haven’t been out in over ten years, but I used to snowboard nearly every weekend if I could get my car through the weather to a mountain.

As I mentioned at the start of this thread, I had not been skiing for over 30 years. Snowboarding did not exit when I was an avid skier. Now, most of you younger folks snowboard. Having just turned 60, I watched snowboarders for the first time and had no desire to try it. My day for that has passed. 😂

Skiing is easier to learn, but snowboarding is more fun, imo. I always tell new riders to head straight for a lesson. It’s not easy to pick up intuitively. Once it clicks enough that you can link turns, the mountain opens up. It’s a joy to carve on a snowboard.

It’s more painful too though, so I understand your desire to stick with what you know. Knee pads and a butt pad help, but you’re typically falling on the same spots all day. It adds up.

Back