Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Curious how many skiers we have on the forum.

Tomorrow, I am going skiing for the first time since 1986. I used to ski a lot, all the way through college. I couldn’t afford it once I started grad school and never picked it back up. Well, tomorrow, I am. I hope I don’t break my leg and ruin my 2021 golf season.

I have skis and a snowboard in my shed, but it’s been a few years since I’ve used them and over 15 years since I’ve had a season pass anywhere. I can’t keep up with my buddies who stuck with it so I’m only good for a trip to the mountain if I have someone of a similar skill level.

What type of skiing are you talking about?

I cross-country ski - both skate and classic. And we take our dogs out to skijour.

I’ve recently taken up backcountry skiing in hopes of getting out more solo. It has taken some getting used to, but has been fun finding fresh places to get out around home.

What type of skiing are you talking about?

I cross-country ski - both skate and classic. And we take our dogs out to skijour.

I’ve recently taken up backcountry skiing in hopes of getting out more solo. It has taken some getting used to, but has been fun finding fresh places to get out around home.
I am referring to alpine/downhill skiing. We are lucky in Utah to have some of the best resorts and snow in the USA, although we currently are in a drought.

I am referring to alpine/downhill skiing. We are lucky in Utah to have some of the best resorts and snow in the USA, although we currently are in a drought.
Ah, ok! I have a snowboard, but I haven’t been to the hill in a number of years. We’ve got a decent facility here too - the Canadian National teams train around here.

Use to ski every weekend in the winter years ago, my daughter and granddaughter have replaced me on the slopes.

I’ve skied occasionally the past 15 or so years (1-2 a year). First time buying skis this yearso hoping to get out more.

Well considers what you constitute as a skier? I mean I come flying down the hill & end up doing this...

I haven’t been on skis since the early 80s. I skiied a few times during college winter breaks. Knee issues kept me off them back then and I never skiied again.

I do cross country ski and snowshoe.

I am hitting the slopes to go snowboarding with my son on Monday as part of his pseudo-ski club.

Living in South Ga it's not something I get to do a whole lot. But do love to snow ski. We have been to Gatlinburg (if you call that skiing) Brekinridge, Steamboat springs, Deer park outside of Salt lake city and Jackson hole Wyoming. We liked Steamboat the best, would love to go back

Had hoped to get my 5 year old into ski school here in Colorado but we all know how this year has panned out.

Went back to snowboarding as i reached the point where it was lessons to get better at skiing.

Yes to skiing. Mostly cross country ski these days, trails and skate skiing. Still get out at times for some alpine and backcountry (skins). Used to do a lot a telemark skiing.

When I decide I finally want to total my knees the rest of the way, I’ll take up skiing :ROFLMAO:

Always wanted to do it, never had the opportunity

Learned to ski in 3rd grade, and went 4-5 times a year until college. Then only a couple more times until I moved to NM. Lived there for 5 years, just 45 mins south of Durango, and only went skiing twice. It was more of a "it'll always be there" type of mood, and now I'm kicking myself, since I'm in TX and no one else in the family skis. Part of my issue was a fall my Sr year in HS gave me a partial ACL tear that slowed things down greatly for some years.

Did some snowboarding in HS a bit, and really enjoyed it.

Have skied every year for the last 25 or so years. This year will be the exception. Wife dealing with achilles issue with her foot so other plans have been made. This year instead of skiing I get to go to Arizona and play golf. Guess I’ll just have to sacrifice!!

I used to ski all the time (like 3-5 days a week) when I was younger. I raced in HS as my main varsity sport, and continued skiing regularly through my early 20s. I think I've only gone twice in the last 20 years. My winter interest has switched completely to hockey. Once in a while I have thoughts of going out again to see if I've still got it.

Two of the sports I'd actively avoided like the plague my entire life had been golf and downhill skiing. Much to my surprise golf finally got me, so I won't say "never," but I think downhill skiing highly unlikely. Same reason I'll probably never again lace on a pair of ice skates, get on a skateboard, or own a motorcycle:

I survived it yesterday and had a fantastic time. The first run was humorous and made me wonder if I had made a good choice, but then it started coming back. I am looking forward to going again.

DE291DF6-4E6B-4E42-8644-FECF44C06F5B.jpegF06F03BA-5EA7-4881-BC90-B1A8551B426B.jpegDA9E1484-5BAA-46B0-9349-2BF041C88A5C.jpeg326ED27F-BF6C-4507-AE96-8142E6E1B378.jpeg

I am but haven’t been in about 13 years. I skied my whole life, but I hate the cold. I ski hard when I’m out there and then get back on the lift just for my feet to start freezing snd my body get cold. My kids want to go so I guess I’ll be doing it again in the next year or two. Fortunately we have a family condo in Frisco, CO.

Tomorrow, I am going skiing for the first time since 1986. I used to ski a lot, all the way through college. I couldn’t afford it once I started grad school and never picked it back up. Well, tomorrow, I am. I hope I don’t break my leg and ruin my 2021 golf season.

In the same boat as you - last time was about '86, then law school and life got in the way. Enjoyed it from '78-86. Hope to return in a year or two. But this time, only green and light blues - I just want to cruise.

And peeps wear helmets and use shorter skis ... wonder if boots are still the same.:eek:

In the same boat as you - last time was about '86, then law school and life got in the way. Enjoyed it from '78-86. Hope to return in a year or two. But this time, only green and light blues - I just want to cruise.

And peeps wear helmets and use shorter skis ... wonder if boots are still the same.:eek:
The boots are pretty much the same in function, just more modernized.

The boots are pretty much the same in function, just more modernized.

Do they have air shins now?

I've purchased a few boots in my life - Hansen, Salomon, etc. They did the heat/memory thing. I needed boots that kept my shins against the front of the boot - moguls and epic crashes due to lack of forward shins - and I did have a former Aspen ski instructor help me - he was an alcoholic - but knowledgeable. Didn't ask him what he did the previous night. The only time I had personal lessons in skiing. The remainder were classes. Skiing down the face of Ajax to the bars was scenic and tough work. But the scenery and drinks inside were first class.:ROFLMAO:

Snow skiing was the first sport that I really loved and it’s still my favorite sport. Coming from a family of skiers and being the youngest, I took it up at age 5 and have only had a handful of years since 1970 that I haven’t got at least 25 days on the slopes each year and many years it was over 50 days. I still love the thrill of skiing fast and have a couple of ski trips planned for this winter(Lake Tahoe & N. Michigan) along with skiing locally each week at the small hills here near Minneapolis. When my daughter graduates and my wife retires in 2023 there is a very good chance that I’ll get back to skiing 40+ days in the mountains each year which will hopefully include a cat skiing trip or two each year to Canada. Some of my buddies from college that I used to take annual ski trips with are now going on 2-3 week ski trips now that they are retired and I’d love to be able to join them. Next weekend my son and I are trying kite skiing for the first time on the frozen lakes of MN. I’m hoping for some big wind. :)

Back