who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
My previous Ping irons models were Eye 2+ (about 8 years), Zing (about 1.5 years) , i15 (less than a year) , and S56 (about 4 years).
For the past couple of years I've been playing Mizuno MP63 irons but now would like to go back to playing Ping. So, I went to a local golf store is and (into their net) struck shots with the iBlade, i200, G400, and G700. I like them all but thought the G700 was the most "unique and different" of the group, so that's the model I ordered. The store has a "90 day return policy for store credit", so my thinking is that if I don't enjoy playing the G700's I can use the store credit to buy a different Ping model. But for now I am excited get on a few golf courses and swing the G700's.
My index is 2.5, so I am not the "target customer" for the G700, but I just wanted to try something "totally different" from any iron I've previously played.
If anybody here plays the G700, please reply to this thread with your thoughts about the model. Thanks.

I'm playing i200. I hit them well and enjoy them. The "target customer" talk shouldn't matter much. If you enjoy them and like them go for it. I had the GMax a few sets ago and didn't like them much on course but loved them on the monitor so I was afraid the same thing would happen with the G700. I play around 10hcp and my biggest struggles are accuracy on approach (bad decisions a lot of the time) so I end up with 2-3 putts way to often to lower the number. Play what you enjoy.

I'm playing i200. I hit them well and enjoy them. The "target customer" talk shouldn't matter much. If you enjoy them and like them go for it. I had the GMax a few sets ago and didn't like them much on course but loved them on the monitor so I was afraid the same thing would happen with the G700. I play around 10hcp and my biggest struggles are accuracy on approach (bad decisions a lot of the time) so I end up with 2-3 putts way to often to lower the number. Play what you enjoy.

On the golf course what did you not like about playing GMax ?

On the golf course what did you not like about playing GMax ?

In all fairness, I didn't have the understanding and game that I have now. I was very erratic and "over the top." It felt to me like I had a really hard time swinging through and everything was "fat" When I made good contact the distance and dispersion was very good. I worked through them and got excellent trade value with the extra 50% from Callaway on the Apex CF16. My scores then went much lower and ball flight was more predictable. I was really green with the GMax and swore off Ping for a while, and I don't know what the actual result would be right now as I can imagine the launch would be higher and a higher ball flight than the i200. I did hit the G700 5 iron before I added the 5H to my bag and it felt nice and had good numbers. I do imagine it is more of a preference than what I was able to put into the club.

In all fairness, I didn't have the understanding and game that I have now. I was very erratic and "over the top." It felt to me like I had a really hard time swinging through and everything was "fat" When I made good contact the distance and dispersion was very good. I worked through them and got excellent trade value with the extra 50% from Callaway on the Apex CF16. My scores then went much lower and ball flight was more predictable. I was really green with the GMax and swore off Ping for a while, and I don't know what the actual result would be right now as I can imagine the launch would be higher and a higher ball flight than the i200. I did hit the G700 5 iron before I added the 5H to my bag and it felt nice and had good numbers. I do imagine it is more of a preference than what I was able to put into the club.

Thanks for your reply.
My ball striking consistency is good, I am accustomed to hitting a lot of fairways and greens. Green side chipping-pitching-putting is the weakness of my game. For these touch shots I get a little yippy. The frustrating thing is that I can spend an hour at a practice chipping or putting green and look like Phil Mikelson. But on the course the nerves kick in and my short game play is terrible.
The sad reality is that for me to shoot a low 18 hole score I need to hit just about every single green. I almost never get the ball up and down from off the green.
So I am hoping that somehow a SGI design like the G700 will help me to hit as many greens as possible.
I am also interested in finding super game improvement chippers or wedges.

Thanks for your reply.
My ball striking consistency is good, I am accustomed to hitting a lot of fairways and greens. Green side chipping-pitching-putting is the weakness of my game. For these touch shots I get a little yippy. The frustrating thing is that I can spend an hour at a practice chipping or putting green and look like Phil Mikelson. But on the course the nerves kick in and my short game play is terrible.
The sad reality is that for me to shoot a low 18 hole score I need to hit just about every single green. I almost never get the ball up and down from off the green.
So I am hoping that somehow a SGI design like the G700 will help me to hit as many greens as possible.
I am also interested in finding super game improvement chippers or wedges.

I have tried the Odyssey Tank chipper, Nancy Lopez chipper, Wilson Harmonized, and Cleveland Smart Sole C 3.0. My two favourites have been the Wilson Harmonized and the Cleveland Smart sole C, which is currently in my bag. The Nancy Lopez chipper was ok, but I didn't really like the stigma of bagging a "woman's" chipper, the stigma of a chipper is enough for me to bear LOL. The only chipper I didn't really care for was the Odyssey Tank chipper, which my father is now using effectively after some practice with it, he says he really likes it. I found the sole on the bottom of the Odyssey is fairly wide and I found it can get hung up on the ground leading to a fat or duffed chip shot for me, especially in weeds/not very well kept areas.

I tried the G700, G400, i200, and Rogue Pro around 3 weeks ago at one of our big box stores. I struggled to hit the Rogue Pro and G700, I had too many mishits with them. It could be the shape or weight just didn't suit me. I really liked the G400 and I loved the i200 as I could hit them fairly effortlessly...I have since replaced my JPX900 Forged with a set of i200 irons which the local fitter used as a demo set for people that wanted to hit more than the fitting iron to see how the other clubs performed...They were like new and I got decent discount, plus the stock AWT 2.0 shaft in S flex fit me very well...Much better than the JPX900F with R flex shafts fit me.

As for wedges, they are not SGI but I also got fit into the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges...I absolutely LOVE them. They are forgiving, confidence inspiring, and the feel is great. I can easily play a flop shot now with the 60 degree with 6 degrees of bounce in TS grind. I also find it is very good from our wet/heavy sand/hard packed bunkers. I find the 54 degree with 12 degrees of bounce in SS grind is pretty good for chipping downhill, sometimes I find the chipper is tougher to control (goes too far) when chipping downhill. Both these wedges I find great with full swings as well.

I previously had the Mizuno T7 wedges which worked very well for full swings, but I struggled with anything else. They weren't good out of our wet/hard/heavy sand bunkers as I think the bounce was too high and I would almost always be over the green with them as I couldn't get properly under the ball. I'd have to try and take a ton of wet sand out or I would thin it. The fitter showed me I had too much bounce for playing a flop shots with them as the leading edge was too high when the face was opened up. It probably would have helped if they had different grind options like the Glide 2.0 wedges have as well.

I am not great at getting up and down either, one reason for the chipper, and I have to hit at least 12 greens in regulation to score decently for myself.

I have tried the Odyssey Tank chipper, Nancy Lopez chipper, Wilson Harmonized, and Cleveland Smart Sole C 3.0. My two favourites have been the Wilson Harmonized and the Cleveland Smart sole C, which is currently in my bag. The Nancy Lopez chipper was ok, but I didn't really like the stigma of bagging a "woman's" chipper, the stigma of a chipper is enough for me to bear LOL. The only chipper I didn't really care for was the Odyssey Tank chipper, which my father is now using effectively after some practice with it, he says he really likes it. I found the sole on the bottom of the Odyssey is fairly wide and I found it can get hung up on the ground leading to a fat or duffed chip shot for me, especially in weeds/not very well kept areas.

I tried the G700, G400, i200, and Rogue Pro around 3 weeks ago at one of our big box stores. I struggled to hit the Rogue Pro and G700, I had too many mishits with them. It could be the shape or weight just didn't suit me. I really liked the G400 and I loved the i200 as I could hit them fairly effortlessly...I have since replaced my JPX900 Forged with a set of i200 irons which the local fitter used as a demo set for people that wanted to hit more than the fitting iron to see how the other clubs performed...They were like new and I got decent discount, plus the stock AWT 2.0 shaft in S flex fit me very well...Much better than the JPX900F with R flex shafts fit me.

As for wedges, they are not SGI but I also got fit into the Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges...I absolutely LOVE them. They are forgiving, confidence inspiring, and the feel is great. I can easily play a flop shot now with the 60 degree with 6 degrees of bounce in TS grind. I also find it is very good from our wet/heavy sand/hard packed bunkers. I find the 54 degree with 12 degrees of bounce in SS grind is pretty good for chipping downhill, sometimes I find the chipper is tougher to control (goes too far) when chipping downhill. Both these wedges I find great with full swings as well.

I previously had the Mizuno T7 wedges which worked very well for full swings, but I struggled with anything else. They weren't good out of our wet/hard/heavy sand bunkers as I think the bounce was too high and I would almost always be over the green with them as I couldn't get properly under the ball. I'd have to try and take a ton of wet sand out or I would thin it. The fitter showed me I had too much bounce for playing a flop shots with them as the leading edge was too high when the face was opened up. It probably would have helped if they had different grind options like the Glide 2.0 wedges have as well.

I am not great at getting up and down either, one reason for the chipper, and I have to hit at least 12 greens in regulation to score decently for myself.

Thanks for your reply about wedges, I may check out the Odyssey Tank :)
A few years ago, when the Cleveland Smart Sole wedges were introduced, I bought both of them. The 58* was in the bag for about a year. It was excellent for green side shots, including
bunker play. But for fuller shots, from outside 60-70 yards, distance control was a challenge. I had the Smart Sole Chipper in the bag for about a dozen rounds, and a few hours of practice green play, but I did not figure out distance control, most all my chips ran well past the hole.
Once I receive my G7 iron set, if I like playing them, I'll figure out which loft wedges I may want to add to the G7. The set I ordered includes 44* PW.
The G7 line does offer a 49* U wedge and a 54* SW. If I really love the G7 irons I might just add the set's U and SW. More likely, though, I would probably try a Glide 50* and 56*.

Your welcome:)

I think the Tank Chipper has very excellent build quality, and my dad really likes it, he never chips with a wedge or iron anymore and even uses it when he is further off the green (10-20 yards off) as long as there is a straight path to the flag (no bunkers or water to carry). I find with the Smart Sole C I am going past the hole when I am trying to chip downhill...It is tough to "feather" a chip with it, I have only had it for around 2-3 weeks now. The Wilson Harmonized was much easier to have a light touch with, I think it is because it is fairly light weight, but I do think the Smart Sole is better for longer chips (further off the green) do to the extra weight. The Tank Chipper is also fairly heavy, so if you have an issue with it going past the hole I would give the Wilson a try, the Wilson is also fairly cheap in price, while I don't think it the build quality is bad, it isn't of the same quality as the Odyssey or the Smart Sole C.

I have the 4-UW in the i200 now, I only have the 5-UW in my bag though as I have G400 2 and 4 hybrid. The fitter told me that if I only use the UW for full swings then I should stick with the UW from the set, but if I used my UW for different distances it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it with a Ping Glide 2.0 as well...I only use it for full swings though and it works very well for that. You might prefer to get the UW in the G700 and Ping Glide 2.0 in your SW slot...I really did prefer the feel,look, and sound of the Glide 2.0 Stealth vs. the Glide 2.0 SS wedges, as Ping used a softer steel for the Stealth.

Also when I did my wedge fitting the Glide 2.0 had the best dispersion for me, it actually show 0 LR dispersion on the flight scope, I think the Taylor Made Milled was the next best for me....But the Glide were very easy to hit. In fact, my buddy who is a 2HC now and has played to a scratch HC in the past went to get fitted for wedges in the spring before I did. He was never a huge Ping fan, although he didn't dislike them either, but he came out with the Glide 2.0 Stealth and loves them... He said they are the best wedges he has hit. Now he even has a Ping hat LOL.

I power speced the i200s and have a large gap in my wedges now. The U wedge is 49 degrees and I also play the Stealth 56 and 60 (don't sleep on the ES grind!) I am thinking about adding a 54 bent to 53 and dropping the 3 wood. Very risk/reward club that doesn't really help me score.

I power speced the i200s and have a large gap in my wedges now. The U wedge is 49 degrees and I also play the Stealth 56 and 60 (don't sleep on the ES grind!) I am thinking about adding a 54 bent to 53 and dropping the 3 wood. Very risk/reward club that doesn't really help me score.

Depending on the golf course, out of 14 par 4 or par 5 holes, I usually swing the 3-wood off of 7 to 10 tee boxes. But I might go a few months without ever swinging the 3 wood off a fairway lie.
I think with the 3-wood, if players don't swing it off the tee boxes, then it may not be worth having within the bag.
Regarding wedge gaps, I am accustomed to 5* or 6* between wedge lofts. I have tried narrowing it down to 4* gaps, but so many wedges confuses me as to which one to play.
If my G700 iron set turns out to be a keeper, I will probably add a 50* and 56* of Glide (or some other specialty wedge line) to the G700 set 49* PW.

Last edited:
Your welcome:)

I think the Tank Chipper has very excellent build quality, and my dad really likes it, he never chips with a wedge or iron anymore and even uses it when he is further off the green (10-20 yards off) as long as there is a straight path to the flag (no bunkers or water to carry). I find with the Smart Sole C I am going past the hole when I am trying to chip downhill...It is tough to "feather" a chip with it, I have only had it for around 2-3 weeks now. The Wilson Harmonized was much easier to have a light touch with, I think it is because it is fairly light weight, but I do think the Smart Sole is better for longer chips (further off the green) do to the extra weight. The Tank Chipper is also fairly heavy, so if you have an issue with it going past the hole I would give the Wilson a try, the Wilson is also fairly cheap in price, while I don't think it the build quality is bad, it isn't of the same quality as the Odyssey or the Smart Sole C.

I have the 4-UW in the i200 now, I only have the 5-UW in my bag though as I have G400 2 and 4 hybrid. The fitter told me that if I only use the UW for full swings then I should stick with the UW from the set, but if I used my UW for different distances it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace it with a Ping Glide 2.0 as well...I only use it for full swings though and it works very well for that. You might prefer to get the UW in the G700 and Ping Glide 2.0 in your SW slot...I really did prefer the feel,look, and sound of the Glide 2.0 Stealth vs. the Glide 2.0 SS wedges, as Ping used a softer steel for the Stealth.

Also when I did my wedge fitting the Glide 2.0 had the best dispersion for me, it actually show 0 LR dispersion on the flight scope, I think the Taylor Made Milled was the next best for me....But the Glide were very easy to hit. In fact, my buddy who is a 2HC now and has played to a scratch HC in the past went to get fitted for wedges in the spring before I did. He was never a huge Ping fan, although he didn't dislike them either, but he came out with the Glide 2.0 Stealth and loves them... He said they are the best wedges he has hit. Now he even has a Ping hat LOL.

I may try to learn what changes Cleveland made from the Smart Sole C version 1 (which I played) to the current Smart Sole C version 3. And I will check out the Wilson Chipper as well, thanks for the suggestion.
Regarding your scratch HC buddy, if he keeps liking his Glide Stealth's I'm thinking he will probably end up buying more Ping clubs. Which iron set brand/model does he play now ?

I may try to learn what changes Cleveland made from the Smart Sole C version 1 (which I played) to the current Smart Sole C version 3. And I will check out the Wilson Chipper as well, thanks for the suggestion.
Regarding your scratch HC buddy, if he keeps liking his Glide Stealth's I'm thinking he will probably end up buying more Ping clubs. Which iron set brand/model does he play now ?

No problem.
I'm not sure if there would be a big enough difference between the Smart Sole C V1 and V3 for you as they look somewhat similar. I haven't really done any research on the differences other than the sole has been tapered on the smart sole V3. I do find I have to pick the situations where I want to use it, if it is a delicate downhill chip I will probably use my wedge instead, whereas the Wilson seemed to work well on shorter/more delicate chips.

He is still playing a set of 2013 Callaway X-Forged and likes them so I don't think he wants to part with them yet. Those irons seem pretty small to me when I put them next to my JPX900 forged and the 900F are more similar in size to the i200. He is also playing a 2017 Taylormade M1 driver with a X-stiff Hazardous Yellow shaft...That shaft feels like a piece of rebar to me and I can't hit it worth garbage LOL. So it is not like he wouldn't try different brands, I would laugh if he ended up getting a set of iBlades though.

You can probably tell I have become a pretty big Ping fan, their clubs just seem to work for me. The only clubs I have in my bag now that aren't Ping are my Edel ER2 putter and the chipper. I switched to the G400 Max driver this season as well and I love that driver.

I just dropped my 3HL, a 2017 Taylormade M2, in favour of a Ping G400 2 hybrid. I had both in the bag at the start of the season, but the 2 hybrid is just so easy to hit straight when teed up it was a no brainer for me. I think the shorter shaft over the 3HL really helps. It still has a flight similar to a 2 or 3 iron for me off the tee so it also stays out of the wind fairly well. I used to be a good fairway wood player, even last season, but this season I have struggled with it so the risk vs. reward isn't worth it. I even struggle with the 2 hybrid off the fairway sometimes and it is usually a fairly low flight unless I try and play a fade, I think the tour shaft is S flex is maybe to much for me from off the fairway so now I pretty much stick with the 4 hybrid off the fairway or else layup.

I'm pretty sure my i200 are not power spec...I did gain 10 yards carry with the i200 7 iron over the JPX900F 7 iron though, peak height was higher, I had an increase in ball speed, and I had almost 2000 more RPM spin over the 900F 7 iron. Now my 7 iron spin is just over 7000 instead of 5000 with the 900F. I was also showing a 10 yard gain on the PW as well. I haven't played many rounds with the new wedges or i200 yet, so I am going to have to see how the gapping is between my UW and 54 degree Glide 2.0.

I have been gaming the G700's 6i-UW's with Nippon Modus 3 105 R flex (-1/4") since April (20 rds so far).
My wedge setup after that is the CBX 56* and Callaway Sure Out 64*.
According to Game Golf my cap is 10.2 and I hit the 7i 152 for reference.

Definitely enjoy them, especially the 8i on down. I say that because the 6i is very low spinning and sometimes I do not get the height and stopping power I want out of it. Then again I haven't bagged a 26* lofted iron in quite some time as I actually play a 5h 26* too. About 10 yds difference between the two on avg.

I came from the 588 Altitudes and have gained about 5-7 yds with the 6 and 7 irons and about 10 yds with the 8-down. Which is odd as the 6 and 7 are stronger lofted but the 8 on down are spec'd the same.

Looks:
The larger shape inspires confidence. Coming from the 588's which have minimal offset the G700's took a little while to lineup correctly having a good amount of offset.
The finish is the big miss here I felt. The hydropearl (frosted like) finish definitely shows marks easily. So I took a green 3m/Scotchbrite pad and buffed the finish off as best I could which creates a more brushed nickel type look. Some say to use Barkeeper's Friend polish but I tried that and really didn't see a difference. The pad worked though. I'll post some pics below of before and after.

Sound: It's probably not for everyone as it has a louder sound similar to the G400, M2, Steelhead irons. I normally use a soft ball so its nothing offputting to me.

Distance/Accuracy - Here is where these shine. Because they hit the ball nice, high, straight, and longer I am able to hit less club into greens. This is a benefit to me because I am short and need shortened irons. My old 140 yd club was a 7i at 37 1/8" and my 8i now covers this distance at a 36.5" build.

I was a little skeptical of the PW and UW being hot and uncontrollable. Far from it actually. The PW and UW are probably the most consistent wedges I have tried in those slots. They hit the ball nice and high and usually spot on the distances I allocate for them. I will say though that I am not one to hit partial pitches and chips with my PW and UW. Not that I couldn't I just prefer to use something more lofted so the CBX and Sure Out get that work.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

who is playing Ping G700 irons ?

Pics before I removed the frosted finish.
6c63cd6db80d73690306a8ef5123ca5c.jpg

ab8c6a4b3a2c72bccc9337347b9ded7b.jpg

Pics after

28cb73bb6d2ce9ed1e7954aaa1978e2c.jpg

e464a295a72910659d51c06bd3c6238e.jpg

f0c9095b0aae9611eae98ea54052cef3.jpg

ec9b04a2b60e04879980d45bcb35c25e.jpg

Pics before I removed the frosted finish.
6c63cd6db80d73690306a8ef5123ca5c.jpg

ab8c6a4b3a2c72bccc9337347b9ded7b.jpg

Pics after

28cb73bb6d2ce9ed1e7954aaa1978e2c.jpg

e464a295a72910659d51c06bd3c6238e.jpg

f0c9095b0aae9611eae98ea54052cef3.jpg

ec9b04a2b60e04879980d45bcb35c25e.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
What are your approximate distances for your your full-stock-standard G700 PW and U wedge ?
The G700 4-PW custom set I've ordered probably will not arrive for about a month, so I do have time to add a U wedge to the order. My expectation is that I will carry the G700 PW about 135 yards (which is my carry distance for my current Mizuno set 9-iron).
And I am thinking that a G700 U wedge would probably carry 125 for me. A Ping Glide 50* (or other brand 50* wedge) would probably carry 120 for me.

^^^
6i -162
7i - 152
8i - 142
9i - 132
PW - 122
UW - 105
CBX 56* - 85
Sure Out 64* - 65

Thought about dropping my 3h and adding either a G700 SW to cover 95 or a Sure Out 60* to cover 75.

I much prefer hitting full shots into greens versus partial pitches.

^^^
6i -162
7i - 152
8i - 142
9i - 132
PW - 122
UW - 105
CBX 56* - 85
Sure Out 64* - 65

Thought about dropping my 3h and adding either a G700 SW to cover 95 or a Sure Out 60* to cover 75.

I much prefer hitting full shots into greens versus partial pitches.

I am now pondering the CBX line of wedges :)

I am now pondering the CBX line of wedges :)

Big separate discussion on them obviously in another thread but they are solid. I have owned the 46*, 50* and 60*.
The 46* I didn't care for. The set PW was much easier to hit. The G700 UW and CBX 50* were very similar yardage wise, like within a 1-2 yd difference. Since I was going to be using the UW for full shots I opted for the G700 in that slot.

The 56* CBX has been really good for me. I use it as my 85 yd full shot club and can choke down to cover partial pitches. I use it almost exclusively for chipping now too. It actually knocked my Odyssey Tank Chipper out of the bag. (Tank would get hung up in deeper rough to where the CBX cuts through it better).

The 60* I probably should have kept around a little longer as I liked it but sold it in a package deal to a buddy. He continues to use it and likes it alot.

Big separate discussion on them obviously in another thread but they are solid. I have owned the 46*, 50* and 60*.
The 46* I didn't care for. The set PW was much easier to hit. The G700 UW and CBX 50* were very similar yardage wise, like within a 1-2 yd difference. Since I was going to be using the UW for full shots I opted for the G700 in that slot.

The 56* CBX has been really good for me. I use it as my 85 yd full shot club and can choke down to cover partial pitches. I use it almost exclusively for chipping now too. It actually knocked my Odyssey Tank Chipper out of the bag. (Tank would get hung up in deeper rough to where the CBX cuts through it better).

The 60* I probably should have kept around a little longer as I liked it but sold it in a package deal to a buddy. He continues to use it and likes it alot.

Thanks so much for your reply and continued assistance.
It's definitely helpful to know that your CBX 50* and G700 GW carried similar distances. Considering the G700's reputation as a "distance club" I was pondering a CBX 48* or 50*. My preference would be for a 50*.
The other wedge model I am pondering is the Glide 2.0. Have you any experience swinging that model, and if so, how does it compare for forgiveness to the CBX ?
Also, I am open to playing a G700 U wedge. So, just considering the the options right now.

I've ordered a set of G700's on July 4th. The set is from 5-PW, UW, SW and the Ping Glide 2.0 58es, all are fitted with the Recoil ES SmacWrap R-Flex shaft. I took a flyer and decided to give the set SW a try because I will be using it mostly as a full swing club, just like the UW. Pitch and chip shots should be OK with the SW, but I'll leave the heavy lifting finesse and bunker shots to the Glide wedge. If the SW really doesn't work out as I hoped for I'll replace it with another Glide wedge.

Everything should have been delivered by now but I was informed a few days ago that there is a shortage on some of the club heads. I'm told that delivery should be made by the end of this month. Anyone else's order delayed because of this ???

I've ordered a set of G700's on July 4th. The set is from 5-PW, UW, SW and the Ping Glide 2.0 58es, all are fitted with the Recoil ES SmacWrap R-Flex shaft. I took a flyer and decided to give the set SW a try because I will be using it mostly as a full swing club, just like the UW. Pitch and chip shots should be OK with the SW, but I'll leave the heavy lifting finesse and bunker shots to the Glide wedge. If the SW really doesn't work out as I hoped for I'll replace it with another Glide wedge.

Everything should have been delivered by now but I was informed a few days ago that there is a shortage on some of the club heads. I'm told that delivery should be made by the end of this month. Anyone else's order delayed because of this ???

I've heard that Ping will be back in stock with all the G700 iron lofts by next Wednesday, the 25th. So, pending G700 iron set orders should assembled and shipped approximately August 1st.
My guess is that since the G700 was a brand new iron design-concept Ping was uncertain about demand numbers, so the company may have been conservative with its initial head production orders.
The G700 set I have on order is 4-PW. If I like playing them, great. If not I will return for store credit and probably try a set of i210's or i500's.

Thanks so much for your reply and continued assistance.
It's definitely helpful to know that your CBX 50* and G700 GW carried similar distances. Considering the G700's reputation as a "distance club" I was pondering a CBX 48* or 50*. My preference would be for a 50*.
The other wedge model I am pondering is the Glide 2.0. Have you any experience swinging that model, and if so, how does it compare for forgiveness to the CBX ?
Also, I am open to playing a G700 U wedge. So, just considering the the options right now.

No experience with the Glide wedges. When I played to around an 18 cap years ago I tried a Ping Tour S wedge and it was a bit too much club for me to hit consistently well. The CBX is the first “closer to players” style wedge I have done well with. Usually I just Game set wedges.

No experience with the Glide wedges. When I played to around an 18 cap years ago I tried a Ping Tour S wedge and it was a bit too much club for me to hit consistently well. The CBX is the first “closer to players” style wedge I have done well with. Usually I just Game set wedges.

Yesterday I went to the store to get a grip put on my Cleveland Smart Sole chipper, the original version which was introduced a few years ago. While at the store I hit into the net the G700 U and SW, some Glide 2.0 wedges in various lofts, and various lofts of the CBX. It was fun swinging the different clubs and I think the G700 U and SW, or CBX wedges will be a good fit to combine with a set of G700 irons. But I think the Glide 2.0, because it was not designed with "forgiveness" as a focus, is a completely different club category.

Yesterday I went to the store to get a grip put on my Cleveland Smart Sole chipper, the original version which was introduced a few years ago. While at the store I hit into the net the G700 U and SW, some Glide 2.0 wedges in various lofts, and various lofts of the CBX. It was fun swinging the different clubs and I think the G700 U and SW, or CBX wedges will be a good fit to combine with a set of G700 irons. But I think the Glide 2.0, because it was not designed with "forgiveness" as a focus, is a completely different club category.

As previously mentioned I'm going to use the set UW and SW as full swing clubs with light pitching and chipping duties. It sounds like it may work out well for me.

Back