highly disagree with this. i played tennis in high school and college and that is not how it goes. best player/most talented player does not always win. many variables to it.
Every generations best players scoop up double digit grand slams and everyone else wins nothing. How do you explain that? That's not even close to true in golf.

Reactions: JB
Every generations best players scoop up double digit grand slams and everyone else wins nothing. How do you explain that? That's not even close to true in golf.
Any sport where it is one on one ie: tennis, wrestling, ping pong, badminton, boxing, ufc, sumo wrestling, darts....etc etc, is going to be won, the majority of time, by the better player. That is just common sense.

Meh...Brady has had the most success of any QB, but he's played in an era that doesn't allow you to sneeze on a QB, WR's are protected, Oline holds every play, etc. Very hard to compare the game he's played in and the one Montana and Unitas were part of.

He doesn't even enter the best athlete ever equation for me.

This makes the whole point entirely. No one can beat the best. Nadal always wins in Paris. Federer always wins at Wimbledon. Djokovic beats them both generally on hard court. No one else can beat any of the 3. Tennis players just don't get beat by people that are not as good as them. Even among those 3 Nadal has never lost to Federer on clay and ahs only beat him once on grass. They are about even on hard court.
Good points! I’d still argue the GOAT doesn’t come from either sport (excluding clay court Nadal) since there is a GOAT debate in each one. My opinion is that the GOAT would be someone who is inarguably the best in their sport. A few folks have made a cricket argument in here, but I am unfortunately woefully uninformed on the subject.

Pele, my childhood idol

There’s been much discussion about Tom Brady being the GOAT. I have no problem declaring him the NFL GOAT, but is he the greatest athlete of all time across all sports? If not, then who is and why?

First, he is not the goat yet. There was this guy named Otto Graham who went to 10 straight championships and won 7. He went to the championship EVERY YEAR HE PLAYED. Even brady has mentioned him as the GOAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, he is not the goat yet. There was this guy named Otto Graham who went to 10 straight championships and won 7. He went to the championship EVERY YEAR HE PLAYED. Even brady has mentioned him as the GOAT

Wow I know the name, but didn’t know the numbers. Although, that would be pre-merger, correct? Regardless that’s quite a feat especially considering Brady’s career has spanned (what feels like) 5 decades :LOL:

Wow I know the name, but didn’t know the numbers. Although, that would be pre-merger, correct? Regardless that’s quite a feat especially considering Brady’s career has spanned (what feels like) 5 decades :LOL:

Sure feels like brady has played since i was 2 instead of, well, alot older. The older browns players belonged to columbia hills cc in their older years. After my grampa and i golfed we would sit with them and i would just listen to them talk football. God do i wish i could go back to those times. I was 13-14 and just listened to these guys was awesome.

Lionel Messi
Babe Ruth
Wayne Gretzky
Jack Nicklaus
Roger Federer
Tom Brady

(y)

I haven't read through all seven pages, but I'm not sure how Bill Russel can be left out of this discussion.

I understand Brady being considered. All he does is win championships and that is a good measure of greatness. But despite last year's record, he came to a very talented TB team that simply had a poor QB previously. We'll never know what impact he had beyond running the offense and performing at a high level.

Well Joe DiMaggio had a 56-game hitting streak.

Your international argument has no bearing. As American football is not internationally competitive, Tom Brady is playing against the best in the world. He has 5 Super Bowl MVP awards. Only one other player has even won 5 Super Bowls (modern era only, don’t @ me historians ;)). If that’s not GOAT-level stuff, I don’t know what is.
Maybe for the QB position in football, yes.

What Fed has accomplished on other surfaces is hard to ignore, and he has one of the most elegant moves in all of sports with that backhand, without the nonsense grunt.

With that in mind, Clay Rafa is insane.

I'd like to see pro golfers begin to employ the grunt! But then, they don't hit backhands!

Heather McKay - 20 years undefeated at squash, including 16 consecutive British Opens. Think about that for a dominating record. Reportedly only ever lost 2 matches. Also represented Australia in field hockey and won major racquetball championships.
Don Bradman - his cricket batting average is so much better than all others that have ever played cricket that it is bewildering.
Steve Redgrave - gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics in the sport of rowing - demanding both technically and physiologically
Eddy Merckx - most accomplished cyclist of all time

Squash?! Seriously! Who in the hell plays squash?! Why not tell me about the badminton champion of all time!

I've said it before, Brady is not a GOAT of athletes! He is the GOAT of NFL QB's! If you want to look at athletes, look at gymnasts. Both for strength and agility.

Who in the hell plays squash? According to Wikipedia, 20 million people across 185 countries. Way more than "tackle football" of about 5 million in 1 country ...

Maybe for the QB position in football, yes.

I'd like to see pro golfers begin to employ the grunt! But then, they don't hit backhands!

Squash?! Seriously! Who in the hell plays squash?! Why not tell me about the badminton champion of all time!

I've said it before, Brady is not a GOAT of athletes! He is the GOAT of NFL QB's! If you want to look at athletes, look at gymnasts. Both for strength and agility.

I've always felt that tennis players are the greatest athletes of all - more than any other type of athlete.

Steve Redgrave - gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics in the sport of rowing - demanding both technically and physiologically

Personally, I’d struggle to come up with another name that surpasses what that guy achieved!

The GOAT argument is pretty ridiculous though. I don’t see how you can compare sports.

Whoever YOU think it is.

Bo Jackson up until his injury had done some incredible stuff in two sports. Jim Thorp was unbelievable. and Babe Ruth was hitting as many homers as entire teams....Those would be my top 3.

There’s been much discussion about Tom Brady being the GOAT. I have no problem declaring him the NFL GOAT, but is he the greatest athlete of all time across all sports? If not, then who is and why?
Secretariat, or, maybe Babe Ruth, because he was also a great pitcher, and when he was hitting homers not a lot of others were.

If golf were to end tomorrow, I would say TW is the greatest of all time. But, who knows who else will come along and maybe claim that title?

I'm not sure how you would figure out the GOAT of all sports.
When GOAT is mentioned, I think of Ricky Carmichael.
During his riding career, his competitors called him The GOAT.
Ricky now operates a The Goat Farm where riders can go to get trained.

I'm not sure how you would figure out the GOAT of all sports.
When GOAT is mentioned, I think of Ricky Carmichael.
During his riding career, his competitors called him The GOAT.
Ricky now operates a The Goat Farm where riders can go to get trained.
Hard not to consider Jeremy McGrath before Ricky, though. Jeremy did for Supercross what Tiger did for golf - he brought a lot of outside sponsors and money into the sport, and every rider cashing a fat check today owes Jeremy a huge debt.

Hard not to consider Jeremy McGrath before Ricky, though. Jeremy did for Supercross what Tiger did for golf - he brought a lot of outside sponsors and money into the sport, and every rider cashing a fat check today owes Jeremy a huge debt.
I was a Yamaha guy back in the day, Bob “Hurricane” Hannah was my favorite rider.

While McGrath could be considered the best SX rider of all time, there is no doubt RC is the overall GOAT.

How about Eric Heiden, American speed skater. Did something no other speed skater did in the history of the Olympic Games. In his day he couldn't walk down the street in the Netherlands without being mobbed. Here in the U.S., he could walk down the street wearing his gold medals, and people would think he stole them!

I agree with someone who posted prior. You cannot compare sport to sport! You have the GOAT of this sport, the GOAT of that sport, and so on!

Damian Lillard passed Allen Iverson for career 50 point games and then I found this. Wilt 🤯357F77B8-2570-4436-A9F4-6A2AD74DF1E8.jpeg

Back