Who remembers Golfsmith?

I used to love the TT Dynamic black shaft that Golfsmith sold.

I used them in my old Wilson JP II sand wedges ( a few other wedges as well ) and they got a lot of looks from my friends.

They were my primary shaft and grip source for a long time.

Not sure if it was this thread that sparked a dream, but Snake Eyes clubs showed up in a dream I had last night 🤣

That's uncomfortable lol

Awww man, I loved Golfsmith. I learned how to change a grip a build a club through the classes they used to offer. I even visited their headquarters once when I was in Austin for business. It was a great company that just did not survive economic downturn of mid 2000's. Half my club building tools are Golfsmith branded. Golf Galaxy took over but it's not the same. I now get my components online from places like Golfworks, BillyBob, etc.

I don't think there will be another golf store as iconic as Golfsmith. Just walking into the store, you felt a vibe like no place else. If you needed anything golf related, you knew this was the place! I could spend a lot of time just walking around the store, maybe hit some balls, try a couple of clubs, find the grips you wanted, or the ball you were looking to try. I like PGASS, but I don't get that same vibe when I go in, but it's pretty close. PGASS just feels a little more sterile, for the lack of a better word, but it is a good store. I think the lack of house brand components is probably the reason why...

I still have this Golfsmith designed putter. I got it as a backup to my Bettinardi BB43. The Golfsmith model was so good that I soon sold the Betti for about what I paid for it to recoup some funds. This one still comes out from time to time when my main putter is in time out.

IMG_4957.jpegIMG_4958.jpegIMG_4959.jpeg

Used to order from Golfsmith a lot. Too bad they are gone. Now, there is only Golfworks to get club building tools. Golfworks is good, but consistently out of stock with tools and they are kind of pricey for tools. I'd like to see more options for golf building tools. It is pretty sparse for golf building tools especially the main ones like shaft extractors, swingweight balance scales, etc. I think there is a market for it.

Back